The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 11, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #2,881 of 87,674
My Crassi is up for sale, if anyone was curious about the Oriolus hybrid for treble-heads. (also has decent bass extension)
See sig

Sep 11, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #2,883 of 87,674
I just checked and they're also available in the US now: ePro Regular Series EP01 and EP00.

Thank you @Scuba Devils for bringing these to my attention. Now to do some research into them!

Yes I have EP01 which is the wide bore.

Amazon Japan delivers much faster to Ireland vs Amazon US, don't know why - less than a week from Japan, 2 weeks or more from the US!

Sep 12, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #2,884 of 87,674
Trying ePro tips on Isa tonight, wonderful pairing... I think the wide bore is ideal; brings out more treble, soundstage, and nice balance of bass. The best I've heard them, sounding incredible!

20210912_000415.jpg
The Crystals I have on the Isa fit just like that, the bore wide enough to Leave the screen completely uncovered.

Sep 12, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #2,886 of 87,674
The Crystals I have on the Isa fit just like that, the bore wide enough to Leave the screen completely uncovered.
Waiting for ePro tips I ordered 2 months ago from MTMT Audio, but since July, customs at UE are something to be aware.
Meanwhile I´m using Spiral Dots ++ that are great too.

Sep 12, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #2,887 of 87,674
Oriolus Reborn listening to mostly classical music.

Thanks Jeff @Rockwell75 for loaning me the Reborn for an audition.

tgx78.jpg

Starting with the bass, the Reborn outputs a healthy dose of bass with a good depth and extension. Note thickness is very good and the bass sounds full and well integrated overall, likely in the realm of what most would consider ‘natural’. It's not the fastest bass by any mean and no, it doesn't slam as hard as the Weapon IX woofers, but not the sluggish one either- certainly on-level with high-end hybrids- and just a shy of the top shelf vented BA drivers I’ve been sampling lately in terms of speed and tightness. Double bass sounded realistic and accurately portrayed alongside a good note definition. As well, hearing the cello section, bass bleed is mostly kept in check by the generally prominent mids and mid treble.

The midrange aka. the heart of the frequency spectrum is mostly even, with a rich and pleasing balance between the lower to upper mids. Notably, there is almost zero coherency issue with the BA+DD implementation, stemming largely from the similarity in note presentation between the drivers. The midrange BA driver especially has just right amount of note thickness to help with a smooth crossover transition. I also feel this is helped greatly by more natural and organic sounding midrange BA driver selection.

The treble of the Reborn, while less prominent in the overall mix, is smooth and natural for a hybrid-based earphone, falling somewhere between the IER-Z1R and the Volt in emphasis. It mostly sounds clean and intelligible, with a good amount of sparkle, albeit slightly lacking in last bit of airiness. Its treble is also accompanied by a sizeable dip in the lower treble range unfortunately. This tuning decision may provides an uncanny ability to escape sibilance for vocal centric tracks, but sacrifices quite a bit of upper harmonics / overtones for accurate rendition of the stringed instruments.

The presentation of the Reborn is one aspect that very impresses me- as its centre imaging is quite well diffused and portrays intimacy exceptionally well. Soundstage width is good but the Reborn also boasts excellent depth, making earphones such a joy to listen to.

In terms of intangibles, frankly I'm not as impressed. Imaging is slightly fuzzy, undefined and resolution is below average for the price which contributes to not-so-great layering and a lack of incisive separation.
In other words, technical ability is nothing of noteworthy as it loses out in pure resolution to its peers.

Overall, the Reborn's tuning is very good to function as a main selling point and if you are into more mainstream music library, I’d say sure, you might find its tonality very appealing for a long term listening, but if you are like me and listen to classical music 24/7, stick with the Isabellae or UM 3DT.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #2,888 of 87,674
Oriolus Reborn listening to mostly classical music.

Thanks Jeff @Rockwell75 for loaning me the Reborn for an audition.

tgx78.jpg

Starting with the bass, the Reborn outputs a healthy dose of bass with a good depth and extension. Note thickness is very good and the bass sounds full and well integrated overall, likely in the realm of what most would consider ‘natural’. It's not the fastest bass by any mean and no, it doesn't slam as hard as the Weapon IX woofers, but not the sluggish one either- certainly on-level with high-end hybrids- and just a shy of the top shelf vented BA drivers I’ve been sampling lately in terms of speed and tightness. Double bass sounded realistic and accurately portrayed alongside a good note definition. As well, hearing the cello section, bass bleed is mostly kept in check by the generally prominent mids and mid treble.

The midrange aka. the heart of the frequency spectrum is mostly even, with a rich and pleasing balance between the lower to upper mids. Notably, there is almost zero coherency issue with the BA+DD implementation, stemming largely from the similarity in note presentation between the drivers. The midrange BA driver especially has just right amount of note thickness to help with a smooth crossover transition. I also feel this is helped greatly by more natural and organic sounding midrange BA driver selection.

The treble of the Reborn, while less prominent in the overall mix, is smooth and natural for a hybrid-based earphone, falling somewhere between the IER-Z1R and the Volt in emphasis. It mostly sounds clean and intelligible, with a good amount of sparkle, albeit slightly lacking in last bit of airiness. Its treble is also accompanied by a sizeable dip in the lower treble range unfortunately. This tuning decision may provides an uncanny ability to escape sibilance for vocal centric tracks, but sacrifices quite a bit of upper harmonics / overtones for accurate rendition of the stringed instruments.

The presentation of the Reborn is one aspect that very impresses me- as its centre imaging is quite well diffused and portrays intimacy exceptionally well. Soundstage width is good but the Reborn also boasts excellent depth, making earphones such a joy to listen to.

In terms of intangibles, frankly I'm not as impressed. Imaging is slightly fuzzy, undefined and resolution is below average for the price which contributes to not-so-great layering and a lack of incisive separation.
In other words, technical ability is nothing of noteworthy as it loses out in pure resolution to its peers.

Overall, the Reborn's tuning is very good to function as a main selling point and if you are into more mainstream music library, I’d say sure, you might find its tonality very appealing for a long term listening, but if you are like me and listen to classical music 24/7, stick with the Isabellae or UM 3DT.
What are you using for cables with the Reborn?

Sep 12, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #2,890 of 87,674
I've found the Thor/Cleo, Illiad, or Frozen to be a better match than plated, my favorite being the Thor/Cleo.

Sep 12, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #2,891 of 87,674
Thor/Cleo is made by ??????

Sep 12, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #2,892 of 87,674
Sep 12, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #2,893 of 87,674
@claud W @Xinlisupreme Effect actually make a hybrid cable with both the HORUS and Cleo properties together in one cable.

I think this is what @Wildcatsare1 is speaking of….can you confirm?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #2,894 of 87,674
@claud W @Xinlisupreme Effect actually make a hybrid cable with both the HORUS and Cleo properties together in one cable.

I think this is what @Wildcatsare1 is speaking of….can you confirm?
EA will custom manufacture any combination requested (at least they used to), but the cable I'm referring to, as @Xinlisupreme correctly points out, is the Thor/Cleopatra. I haven't tried the Horus/Cleo yet, but I'm betting that combination sounds fantastic!

Sep 13, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #2,895 of 87,674

Users who are viewing this thread

Back