The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 8, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #1,576 of 87,693
The black one or blue one? The blue one is newer, uses MMCX and said to have a larger soundstage

I read somewhere that Oriolus themselves stated that the blue one has more treble and less bass which leaves me not wanting to chance it. Andrew is working on getting me an OG Reborn and I think I will take the plunge if he comes through.

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #1,577 of 87,693
Yolo!

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 7.20.52 AM.png

Jul 8, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #1,578 of 87,693
Listening to Isa on my breakin system, it sounds almost too bright, so i listened about a half hour of Richard Elliott smooth jazz, but it never got too bright. have installed Eletech Socrates and Azla tips. I think it should have the Azla Light Short tips, but it was such a struggle installing one Light Short that I just put standard Ezlas on it.
Don't know about the rest of you, but DD drivers need breakin. About 100 hours should be good.

Jul 8, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #1,579 of 87,693
Listening to Isa on my breakin system, it sounds almost too bright, so i listened about a half hour of Richard Elliott smooth jazz, but it never got too bright. have installed Eletech Socrates and Azla tips. I think it should have the Azla Light Short tips, but it was such a struggle installing one Light Short that I just put standard Ezlas on it.
Don't know about the rest of you, but DD drivers need breakin. About 100 hours should be good.
Me too, I just use the standard SednaEarfit Light. The Light Short were harder to install in my experience as well.. But the normal Light came closest in width and length to the stock tips I think. This allows for that extra insertion depth, so that the IEM may stay more put. Below is how installed the tips
You first roll the cap up, pinch the middle stem, and slowly attach to the nozzle outer ring from the bottom while wiggling right-left until it reaches the top whole. That works for my Azla. You need to be gentle for the first time.. :smiley:

Jul 8, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #1,580 of 87,693
After many hours of listening to the Cayin N6ii Ti, its a keeper. I have a bunch of random thoughts I wrote down, but they are more the ramblings of a lunatic, so if you have any specific questions regarding my take on it vs. M8, etc, ask away?

In a nutshell, it has more in common with AR-M2 than M8. It is more vintage tube goo (R01= running through a Pultec EQ, M8 = SSL G channel vibe) vs. M8's warm transformer take.
It is tuned more naturally than M8, a bit darker, and has more mid-bass volume. It leaned the Solaris into Dorado territory. But with more balance overall.
It is an intimate affair, and focuses your attention on how the notes and timbre are reproduced, not as much the space they are reproduced in. I wouldn't say its a tiny amp, but I kept thinking about how good it would be with a more powerful amp.
Viscous liquidity vs. compressor pumping air. The M8 is really quite a percussive DAP. The air around the note strikes is rhythmic and I miss that in all other DAP's.
r2r effortlessly reproduces sounds without any glare, which can sound amazing on complex cymbal passages and phlegmy vocals, but can be a little gut less when you want it to dig deeper for more grip. Think soft vinyl reproduction vs. the smooth bite of a CD. The same liquidity it has can, on occasion, make the bass a little loose, but nothing tragic. Decay could be a little faster.
The M8 has more space between the notes and the soundstage is bigger. The AR-M2 is bigger still and better than both though for that, and really lights up the MEST drivers to the point I really like the MEST mkii with it. MEST seems to do well with natural source and Solaris, a bit warmer.
It has a bit more hiss than the super dark M8, but it was only audible on the Solaris and was still way quieter than AR-M2, more inline with SE200's hiss levels, which aren't bad at all, but there. I am not a hiss dweller though and as long as it doesn't affect the music, I don't really care all that much.
Looking forward to trying Isa on the Ti (or any dap, for that matter, lol). On paper it should be a good combo.
I have about 125 hrs on it already and it seems to be getting better still and more cohesive ads it goes. But could be my brain adjusting too. Either way, I feel like improvements are still happening. Overall it's a good addition to the collection and it has strengths the others don't and vice vera.
So much for a nutshell take.

Jul 8, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #1,581 of 87,693
Isa and M8 work really well together, as you know. The driver is naturally quite controlled and tight in character but with spot on decay and timbre, so I think you might be able to afford the extension in decay. Its also bright leaning, so more warmth might be a good thing. Will be interesting to see if the midbass emphasis of the Ti throws the perceived FR out of balance though. I'm quietly confident itll be a good match!

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #1,582 of 87,693
Well, that did not take long. almost bright has smoothed out and edginess is gone. A real satisfying IEM.

Jul 8, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #1,583 of 87,693
Well, that did not take long. almost bright has smoothed out and edginess is gone. A real satisfying IEM.
Same for me, within a day the perceived brightness/edginess was totally smoothed out. I suspect brain burn-in though.

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #1,584 of 87,693
I may be misunderstanding your first line here, but the comparison I made wasn't a single DD vs. a single BA. It was a single DD vs. a pair of BA's; one BA handling 1-2kHz, and another handling 5kHz. <snip>

And, the thing about seating would be a factor if we were comparing DDs and BAs in a live concert environment, but we're talking about IEMs that can only be seated one way here (notwithstanding slight variations for universals).
I did not do a good job of making my comments - someone had commented about single-DD coherence, and I was replying to THAT, by indicating that it's the single driver, not the driver TYPE that generaters the coherence.... I am not sure why I commented to your post about that.

My comment about seating position was about your tonal balance comment. I was trying to indicate that at a live acoustic performance, where you sit in the hall affects the exact tonal balance you hear from the instruments themselves - I was not talking about iem insertion, or PA speakers... just that tonal balance changes, but the timbre does not - flutes don;t sound like clarinets.

Other than that, it just seems like we have different sensitivities to different aspects of sound reproduction.....

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #1,585 of 87,693
I did not do a good job of making my comments - someone had commented about single-DD coherence, and I was replying to THAT, by indicating that it's the single driver, not the driver TYPE that generaters the coherence.... I am not sure why I commented to your post about that.

My comment about seating position was about your tonal balance comment. I was trying to indicate that at a live acoustic performance, where you sit in the hall affects the exact tonal balance you hear from the instruments themselves - I was not talking about iem insertion, or PA speakers... just that tonal balance changes, but the timbre does not - flutes don;t sound like clarinets.

Other than that, it just seems like we have different sensitivities to different aspects of sound reproduction.....
Ahh, I see. I can see what you're getting at with your point on timbre. I agree with that for sure. I hinted at it with my reply when I talked about that esoteric feel to dynamic drivers. But, yeah, I must say that I'd prefer a more natural tonal balance to my ears (or my perception of natural) over that feel. Even then, that perception of natural isn't necessarily one I'm trying to match to something I heard live or a specific PA system. It's simply a standard of sound that seems correct to me, which I've subconsciously built up through age and experience. When I first started "properly" listening, the cleaner and clearer something was, the more correct it felt to me, and I craved brighter or more contrast-driven transducers because of it. Nowadays, it tends to err on the warmer, richer side of things. But, that feel, though an important component for sure, has never really found itself at the top of the list. One day, it very much may, and it's something I can certainly look forward to better appreciating.

Jul 8, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #1,586 of 87,693
20210708_165637.jpg
@Rockwell75 's Elysium found a new home today. Thanks Rock, twas hard to resist your offer. Always a pleasure in dealing with a true gentleman in this hobby.

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #1,587 of 87,693

@Rockwell75 's Elysium found a new home today. Thanks Rock, twas hard to resist your offer. Always a pleasure in dealing with a true gentleman in this hobby.

Cheers man and right back at you. It's been a pleasure to deal with you from the beginning when you reached out to me months ago with an interest in hearing the Elysium. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

In other news here is a cool review of the Oriolus Reborn on Reddit that helped push me over the edge to purchase it.

Some noteworthy quotes:

"It is relatively unknown but the few reviews of it that's out there say that it has a special wow-inducing tuning."

"Incredible "pressure" behind every note, not just the bass. Instruments are rendered huge in scale."

"This IEM leaves the realm of approximation and enters the realm of actualization."

I've heard these sorts of sentiments before in describing Oriolus IEMs...

Some

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #1,589 of 87,693
:shakesfist: @Rockwell75 for getting me further interested in another line of IEMs....as if I need MORE possibilities for the near future. Thanks for nothing, man! hahahaha

Fortunately for your wallet this particular brand can get you a passport to a portable paradise for only $600 :D

Jul 9, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #1,590 of 87,693
The two Oriolus Reborn
taken-1625822783737-edit-12508260664237.jpg

taken-1625823444345-edit-12529814501733.jpg

Ah, this is so nostalgic. It sounds just as I remembered from 3 years ago. A classic DD hybrid with a classy piano black shell and gold logo

And.. the red Solaris
taken-1625826318327-edit-12466286635076.jpg

It's actually pretty compact small in size clasping at hand. Similar to the 2020. The sound is warmer, and smoother in the lower treble, well-balanced in the mids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back