The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 14, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #9,796 of 91,366
So I'm now thinking about my late Feb IEM purchase. Penon Legend is in with a shot, thanks to impressions from @ian91 - a long held curiousity for Z1R, recently rekindled by @gLer in the list too - likewise something from Empire Ears, Fir Audio or Aroma. Going to be an interesting 6 weeks while I weigh up the pros and cons and ultimately pull the trigger on something...

And yes I did say I was done for now only a few days ago. This is a u-turn... I'm back to my old mantra of 'life is short, fck it' :)
1642194638393.gif

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #9,797 of 91,366
Jan 14, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #9,798 of 91,366
So I'm now thinking about my late Feb IEM purchase. Penon Legend is in with a shot, thanks to impressions from @ian91 - a long held curiousity for Z1R, recently rekindled by @gLer in the list too - likewise something from Empire Ears, Fir Audio or Aroma. Going to be an interesting 6 weeks while I weigh up the pros and cons and ultimately pull the trigger on something...

And yes I did say I was done for now only a few days ago. This is a u-turn... I'm back to my old mantra of 'life is short, fck it' :)
And here I've been with IE 900 and GO blu all day, and not even wired (AptX Adaptive), and I swear if this is all I had I can die happy. Z1R and Gryphon are just cherries on an already oversized cake of high-end audio goodness. It's crazy how good we have it.

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #9,800 of 91,366
And here I've been with IE 900 and GO blu all day, and not even wired (AptX Adaptive), and I swear if this is all I had I can die happy. Z1R and Gryphon are just cherries on an already oversized cake of high-end audio goodness. It's crazy how good we have it.

I've been cycling through various IEMs all evening on Gryphon and loving every minute. ZEN PRO at the moment, incredible - I have Gryphon connected to my Mac via BlueTooth while previewing some albums on Bandcamp and that eureka moment I had a couple of weeks ago when I realised how it could stream to the Gryphon is now bearing fruit - I had to get up to pour a glass of wine a short while ago, Gryphon into my pocket, ZEN PRO stayed in my ears and off I went for a refill! Incredible device, as my Grandmother often used to say when I was a child - 'all good things come to those who wait...'

20220114_213002 copy.jpg

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #9,801 of 91,366
XDSD sounds a lot better plugged to usb than Bluetooth but I think hasn’t LDAC as Gryphon, try also with usb connection 😉

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #9,802 of 91,366
XDSD sounds a lot better plugged to usb than Bluetooth but I think hasn’t LDAC as Gryphon, try also with usb connection 😉
It does improve with USB, but honestly LDAC ( and even AptX Adaptive) is so good, you don't really need to wire it up to get great SQ. And the convenience of going 'wireless' takes the whole experience up a notch. Gryphon (and GO blu) are a step up on the UX of wired-only dongles and DAC/amps imo.

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #9,804 of 91,366
ssff.jpg

excuse my ignorance but are people using these bluetooth DAC/Amp so that they can leave the amp in their pocket and control music from their cell phones?
Yes. that's exactly right. You get a small loss using Bluetooth, but you reduce the tethering effect. For me, I have a BTR5 and the quality degradation wasn't worth it. Someday, I'll get the Ifi Blu to see if it's materially better. I've been using my dongles more lately. The lightning cable is a constant problem.

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #9,805 of 91,366
ssff.jpg

excuse my ignorance but are people using these bluetooth DAC/Amp so that they can leave the amp in their pocket and control music from their cell phones?
The bloke on the right has large feet.

You know what they say about guys with large feet...

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #9,806 of 91,366
Yeah I've been meaning to watch it again since you mentioned @ian91 - and 100% @gLer, impossible not to be reduced to tears during the scene with the Host of Seraphim, incredibly powerful.

Speaking of power, firmware updated and loving this as I finish some less mentally taxing tasks for the week... streaming from my ZX507 😍

20220114_153257.jpg
Interested in a comparison between the Gryphon and the upcoming Mojo 2.

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #9,807 of 91,366
Jan 14, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #9,808 of 91,366
The convenience is fantastic but I do note a sound quality improvement by going via USB instead. But for this use case while at my MacBook on a Friday or Saturday night at my kitchen table, quite happy to enjoy the flexibility of BT so I can get up for a fresh glass etc and keep my earphones in...

20220114_222214.jpg

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #9,809 of 91,366
Delivery notification! EXT & Phonix have landed…will be an agonizing few hours until I can get my hands & ears on them. It’s not every day you get to demo two of the best IEMs in the world for a week.

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #9,810 of 91,366
Delivery notification! EXT & Phonix have landed…will be an agonizing few hours until I can get my hands & ears on them. It’s not every day you get to demo two of the best IEMs in the world for a week.
OMG that must be amazing. I am the 2nd or 3rd on the US tour and I have been (im)patiently waiting for these and the Odin to fall into my hands, er...ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back