The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 29, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #87,931 of 89,675
Apr 29, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #87,932 of 89,675
I had myself a lovely evening.

LX still killing it, while I wait for Odin and Jewel to arrive. :D

EE_LX_02.jpg

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #87,933 of 89,675
I had myself a lovely evening.

LX still killing it, while I wait for Odin and Jewel to arrive. :D

EE_LX_02.jpg

Are you still using the Thor 8 wire (I think?) with the LX? I remember your review of it waayyyyy back when. I was so close to buying that cable because of your review with the Legend X haha. Looks like it's still going strong all these years later!

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #87,934 of 89,675
Are you still using the Thor 8 wire (I think?) with the LX? I remember your review of it waayyyyy back when. I was so close to buying that cable because of your review with the Legend X haha. Looks like it's still going strong all these years later!

That's the one! :D

I was actually using The Palladium Plated Hybrid Exo from PlusSound for a good long while there, but I recently went back to the Thor 8-Wire, and I'm glad I did. Definitely my favorite for LX.

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #87,935 of 89,675
Link to purchase?
Not available in the US. Musicteck said mid-May to my last email about the Pilgrim. They will have a pre-order I think.

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #87,936 of 89,675
That's the one! :D

I was actually using The Palladium Plated Hybrid Exo from PlusSound for a good long while there, but I recently went back to the Thor 8-Wire, and I'm glad I did. Definitely my favorite for LX.

Have you tried PW Audio 1950s on it or perhaps a clone of it? It was an eye-opening moment for me with cables back when I auditioned them around that same time. I had to buy one shortly after.

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #87,937 of 89,675
Have you tried PW Audio 1950s on it or perhaps a clone of it? It was an eye-opening moment for me with cables back when I auditioned them around that same time. I had to buy one shortly after.
I remember hearing good things about those back then. But I never did get to try them out.

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #87,938 of 89,675
The PWA 1950’s is hands down the best cable I’ve ever heard. The shielding version is the icing on the cake but I would be just as happy with a non shielded clone. For my preferences it brings out the very best in your favorite iem. I haven’t heard a bad pairing with the 50’s. At this moment I’m using my 50’s shielding with the Fei Wan and having an insanely enjoyable experience. And Man! Do I miss the LX! Excited to hear the Triton and it seems Noble Audio has also made an L shape iem that I am super curious about in the Onyx!

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #87,939 of 89,675
The PWA 1950’s is hands down the best cable I’ve ever heard. The shielding version is the icing on the cake but I would be just as happy with a non shielded clone. For my preferences it brings out the very best in your favorite iem. I haven’t heard a bad pairing with the 50’s. At this moment I’m using my 50’s shielding with the Fei Wan and having an insanely enjoyable experience. And Man! Do I miss the LX! Excited to hear the Triton and it seems Noble Audio has also made an L shape iem that I am super curious about in the Onyx!

Yeah, I feel the 1950s is a really good example that newer =/= better. I haven't gotten to try the shielding version yet as the thick shielding below the y-split puts me off. Maybe it'll feel light to me now after being used to the Sovereign Symphony 😅

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #87,940 of 89,675
It’s an absolute bast-ardo to take off too - so it’s either on and restricted cable use, or off and risk of scratching etc… I definitely won’t be taking it off each time I can’t get a plug to connect!
So you would say the DAP'll get more and more... etchy over time? 😇🤭

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #87,942 of 89,675
Will be available on musicteck and hifigo in the US.

My unit came from hifigo, they had a very small batch of preorders for early feedback/reviews!
Ey, good to see you Buds by Dr.Drew! Long time no see.

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #87,943 of 89,675
Giving the Kinera Verdandi a run out today. @Uncle Wilson from Jaben Singapore had sent it out together with the Sonarik MEMS-3S last week. Interesting IEM: 2 BA, 2 EST, DD and BCD. Initial impressions is a nice big soundstage. Good treble extension and bass kick. Balanced mids. :)

IMG_4360.jpeg
IMG_4359.jpeg

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #87,944 of 89,675
Apr 29, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #87,945 of 89,675
I haven't seen one negative comment about that DAP yet, looks quite promising! :smiley:
Let me start:
  • Noisy with Andromeda. Yes, it hisses a bit, but not as bad my my DX300 with stock amp, so no complaint here. However, it picks up EMI from Wifi easily, and also the static and pop sounds when the amp turns on and off.
  • MQA decoding is sometimes broken. The unfolding can go all over the place, and sometimes it produces scary static and pop sounds. I turned MQA off entirely to be safe.
  • Some software bugs. I have one rare occasion when Apple Music does not make any sound after resuming from sleep. Jumping to the next track produced a loud static and pop sound before the music starts. So yes, this device does give me heart attack a few times.
  • PCM and DSD has two different sound signature, due to having two different DAC circuits. The DSD sounds more pleasant, IMHO. Hiby promised the ability to switch between these sound signature at will, but it is not implemented yet. I can't wait to use the DSD DAC circuit for PCM content.
  • It does run warm, especially if I put the device in my pocket. Not warmer than other DAPs and, from memory, less hot than the Shanling M6U, but it's warm.
  • The screen is 720p, dim, and a bit washed out. But not bad for watching some YouTube videos indoor, so this is more nitpicking. It's obvious, but the screen on R6 Pro2 and R8II are much better.
Fingercross that my unit is running a preproduction FW and would be updated soon to fix all the problems mentioned above.

Tagging @Joe Bloggs to lodge my complaints :beyersmile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back