The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 29, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #87,916 of 89,402
It’s a very high quality “TPU” case, I feel like cutting it would be quite tedious. HiBy have really missed the mark with their stock cases on RS8 (exposed back which makes it prone to scratches), R6 Pro 2 (it makes the buttons way too sensitive), and R8 II… see above.
cannot wait to see what the case looks like on the little budget r4 then LOL

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #87,917 of 89,402
Note to self: add 'etchy' to audio vocab blacklist, alongside 'clinical'.

🤭

An etchy Anni and a clinical EXT?!

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #87,918 of 89,402
It’s a very high quality “TPU” case, I feel like cutting it would be quite tedious. HiBy have really missed the mark with their stock cases on RS8 (exposed back which makes it prone to scratches), R6 Pro 2 (it makes the buttons way too sensitive), and R8 II… see above.

It’s an absolute bast-ardo to take off too - so it’s either on and restricted cable use, or off and risk of scratching etc… I definitely won’t be taking it off each time I can’t get a plug to connect!

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #87,920 of 89,402
cannot wait to see what the case looks like on the little budget r4 then LOL
It's a good case...but same issue with the cutout and big 4.4mm cables. Seems none of these cases are being tested with larger connectors at the design stage.
An etchy Anni and a clinical EXT?!
Let's see which buttons I can push next 😜
It’s an absolute bast-ardo to take off too - so it’s either on and restricted cable use, or off and risk of scratching etc… I definitely won’t be taking it off each time I can’t get a plug to connect!
Tip: only slide the bottom section off. Works in a pinch. But yeah, someone call Dignis please!

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #87,921 of 89,402
On the topic of DAPs, this beauty definitely has my name on it - reminds me of the Paw 6000 and an absolute beast in terms of balanced power output… WANT!!!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/int...e-xm5-first-portable-player-from-onix.972642/

IMG_3448.jpeg

IMG_3449.jpeg

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #87,922 of 89,402
So let's call it "sandy" 😂
My despair regarding EST treble continues. Diva and Gaia had better, more musical treble. In my opinion, obviously.

Deezel177 said:
6) Driver timbres matter: As I've heard more and more FR curves repeated over the years, what makes an IEM stand out to me now is driver timbre. I've listed examples in the past where familiar textures have turned me off what would otherwise be strong IEMs. And, recent examples like the VE X and the Alter Ego have elevated done-before FRs through unique presentations. So, as much as some people may wanna claim that all an IEM has to offer can be read off a frequency response chart, I personally could not disagree more.
Huge reason an IEM is worth its price tag. This, overall dynamic gestalt, and coherency between drivers (which could also explain certain sets sounding as one whole and others not. Purely in the successful blending of textural output)

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #87,923 of 89,402
Isn't High Quality and TPU an oxymoron? :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #87,924 of 89,402
Folks, there is something that I have been very curious about for a long time.. so I thought that I would ask (with the utmost respect and goodwill) for thoughts from those who understand..

I see that there are quite a few audiophiles (young and old) who listen mainly to EDM, House, Trance and Psychedelic music.. even review and evaluate equipments using said music..

I will try to illustrate my question using my own experience with various genres and sub-genres that I normally listen to and can actually understand (know what to look for, what to enjoy, and what to be critical about in the music)..

To put it simply, I can understand the story and complexities in jazz, pop, R&B/hip hop, opera, rock, heavy metal, classical, and many more.. the most complex of them all, as expected, is classical of course.. but even with heavy metal, I get what the band is trying to convey with their music.. pop music (such as Taylor Swift, Adele, etc) is even simpler where you just listen to the story that they are singing..

But with EDM, House, Trance, Psychedelic, etc.. what is it that I am supposed to look for and receive from the music? What is the story that the musicians are telling me?

Once again I ask this in good spirit and the highest respect to the genres..

Cheers and best of health to us all!
I forgot to mention - EDM specifically isn't necessarily devoid of voices and storytelling. One of the most lyrically meaningful songs I've heard is this one by Swedish House Mafia:

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #87,925 of 89,402
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but is the IER Z1R still considered the top bass performer in 2024? I've heard a few IEMs but am yet to come across one with a very strong yet resolving bass. So far, the V16 Divinity has been very good with bass resolution but I can't get it to EQ and still sound clean in the low end. The XE6 sounded a bit bloated to me but I didn't try changing tips on it for the short time I got to demo it.
Z1R is definitely still a champ when it comes to bass, particularly sub-bass extension laying the platform for a huge concert-hall like sound image. Z1R was the first TOTL I purchased early on, and it wowed me for a little over a year, until I worked out what my most important first-preferences are. Ultimately, when compared to IEMs with more mid bass and especially lower midrange warmth, I just didn't get quite enough connection with the music when listening to Z1R.

So I sold it to help fund a custom Xe6. Which may just have too much of that lower-mid warmth for you, but it could still be worth an extended demo to let your brain 'burn-in' to it's unique presentation.

4) I'd rather save up for a flagship than buy 3 bang-for-buck IEMs at the same cost: As privileged or snobby as this may sound, it honestly makes way more economic sense to save up 4 months for a TOTL you want, than buy 4 $1000 IEMs that strangers on the Internet have hyperbolically dubbed flagship killers. You may not get as many dopamine spikes when the boxes arrive at your door, but you can save yourself 4 instances of inevitable post-purchase regret, as well as the losses you'll incur trying to sell them off on classifieds. You'll also be surprised how much the satisfaction of getting and enjoying a TOTL can kill the hunger for more IEMs.
It's easy to say this with more experience in the hobby, and I definitely do agree. But it can take some time and experimentation to work out what are one's own most important preferences and needs in an IEM, which is where mid-tier-priced IEMs can serve as a proving ground to figure that out. (see above re Z1R vs Xe6...)

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #87,926 of 89,402
4) I'd rather save up for a flagship than buy 3 bang-for-buck IEMs at the same cost: As privileged or snobby as this may sound, it honestly makes way more economic sense to save up 4 months for a TOTL you want, than buy 4 $1000 IEMs that strangers on the Internet have hyperbolically dubbed flagship killers
When I read “bang-for-buck”, I was thinking about $100 IEMs, and then BAM! 1k 😂

But totally agree. I also think one should buy the best that they can afford at any point to avoid future expenses (having to go back and rebuy a better one)

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #87,927 of 89,402
4) I'd rather save up for a flagship than buy 3 bang-for-buck IEMs at the same cost: As privileged or snobby as this may sound, it honestly makes way more economic sense to save up 4 months for a TOTL you want, than buy 4 $1000 IEMs that strangers on the Internet have hyperbolically dubbed flagship killers. You may not get as many dopamine spikes when the boxes arrive at your door, but you can save yourself 4 instances of inevitable post-purchase regret, as well as the losses you'll incur trying to sell them off on classifieds. You'll also be surprised how much the satisfaction of getting and enjoying a TOTL can kill the hunger for more IEMs.

For some folks, one TOTL isn't enough. They gotta catch every FOTM TOTL IEM that's getting released on bi-yearly basis

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #87,930 of 89,402

Users who are viewing this thread

Back