The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 21, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #84,241 of 89,199
I have also been very happy with Anni23 for a month now. The only thing that is inconvenient for me is the cable, it is heavy and too heavy.
I actually like the anni cable it’s premium feeling and never tangles but ya kinda on the big boy side

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #84,243 of 89,199
Ha, I've been reviewing for almost three years now (almost two of those with THL). But thanks, yes, same faceplate material as Volür (and inspired by my Volür review). New Zealand purple paua abalone faceplates with gloss black shell, paired with the new PW Audio 1960s MkII.
What are your thoughts of the N8 compared to the Volür? I read your review, and agreed with a large chunk of it, though not every point.

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #84,245 of 89,199
Sony WM1ZM2 ╳ Nightjar Acoustics Singularity

Best pairing I've heard in 10 years of hobby

Absolutely insane :sunglasses:
Gold brick literally turns all of my iems to gold 💛🎶 It’s become my gold synergy brick

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #84,246 of 89,199
Gold brick literally turns all of my iems to gold 💛🎶 It’s become my gold synergy brick
What does the gold brick due to the Aura? Sending you prayers mate. Hope your financial situation improves. Trying to sell some iems to help with the Aura. GLWS.

Seriously, thank your being one of the kindest head-fiers. You are right about the brass ear tips for the Anni. They are fire.

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #84,247 of 89,199
The anni is the one I’m really looking forward to listening to, I hope it’s not as good as everyone says for my wallets sake 😂😂😂😂😂
I have some unfortunate news for you. It is exactly as good as everyone says it is. It might even be better.
Anni’s gonna be hard to beat for sure! But keep an open ear something might grab you there’s goin to be some heavy hitters out there 👀
Hopefully we can get some good impressions of what you all have going on. What heavy hitters are going to be at the meeting?

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #84,248 of 89,199
What are your thoughts of the N8 compared to the Volür? I read your review, and agreed with a large chunk of it, though not every point.
From my brief experience with the Volur, I found the N8 / Nio bass to be a bit looser and woolier. It's also much easier to drive. The Volur to me had much tighter bass and less lucious mids. It also had some peaks that would've required EQ if I was going to live with it. Nio is a great all rounder with really nice bass. If you change to the MX module, I think it gets a bit more coherent and the M15/M20 turn it into a cannon.

I didn't really enjoy the Volur as much as certain other people I know, but the Nio is one of my all time favorites.

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #84,249 of 89,199
From my brief experience with the Volur, I found the N8 / Nio bass to be a bit looser and woolier. It's also much easier to drive. The Volur to me had much tighter bass and less lucious mids. It also had some peaks that would've required EQ if I was going to live with it. Nio is a great all rounder with really nice bass. If you change to the MX module, I think it gets a bit more coherent and the M15/M20 turn it into a cannon.

I didn't really enjoy the Volur as much as certain other people I know, but the Nio is one of my all time favorites.

Thanks for your thoughts. For my ears I don't EQ the Volur at all and they are lovely so that explains that. I almost got the Nio but I thought I might find the treble too dark, and since the Volur treble is good to me, I guess that explains that. We all have our sensitivities and likes, so good to know.

Definitely interested in the N8 mids because I really enjoy the Volur's. Vocals are fantastic. Even more luscious would be interesting. Although when I was reading reviews of the Nio, It was lauded for its great mids. From what I understand the Volür essentially inherited those mids

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #84,250 of 89,199
What does the gold brick due to the Aura? Sending you prayers mate. Hope your financial situation improves. Trying to sell some iems to help with the Aura. GLWS.

Seriously, thank your being one of the kindest head-fiers. You are right about the brass ear tips for the Anni. They are fire.
Appreciate the kind words, my friend! Buying a home at the same time as getting into the TOTL Iem market has been a clash of priorities 😅 but the synergy between Aura and the Gold Brick is probably my favorite ever

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #84,251 of 89,199
Appreciate the kind words, my friend! Buying a home at the same time as getting into the TOTL Iem market has been a clash of priorities 😅 but the synergy between Aura and the Gold Brick is probably my favorite ever
Pause. One moment. Which gold brick? M1 or M2? Makes a difference as one is cheaper than the other.

You mean TOTL iems are becoming way too expensive? How dare they. Seriously having deja vu. I was talking with Bloom Audio today. I was literally going okay tell me what is so special about the Empire Ears Novus that they are worth the 5k price tag. You know it is an interesting market when the Annihilator becomes a good value for money in the TOTL market and it is around 3k.

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #84,252 of 89,199
I had some time to spend with the new toys from CJ and wanted to cross-post from the WA23 thread:

IMG_6343.jpgIMG_6347.jpg

So far, WA23 is essentially almost everything I wanted it to be over my Ferrum OOR/HYPSOS stack-more euphonic tone, more analogue, deeper hitting bass, stronger macro and micro dynamics, more detail, more staging and instrument separation. I am quite simply excited to listen to music again, and my listening hours have increased dramatically (along with my gf's insanity due to the open-back sound leakage). WA23 does fall a bit short on treble extension (or energy) to my ears with a darker signature, as well as less of a black background to the Ferrum OOR/Hypsos (which really speaks to how impressive of a stack it is on its' own).

That being said, I got the Tubulus Concentus (cable non-believers, *LOOK AWAY*) i2s for craps and giggles to compare to my Pink Faun, and was surprised to note a noticeable difference between the two:

Pink Faun is definitely more analogue, with a longer, heftier decay on the bass (amazing bass) with more weight to all the notes across bass and mids. Mids are more lush and timbre overall feels a bit more euphonic. More organic overall.

Concentus clears out some of the WA23 darker treble/signature through an overall leaner and snappier sound. Bass is fast and tight but not as authoritative or rumbly as the PF. Concentus has a bit of a blacker background, or perhaps its the thinner notes that add to that perception, but it has a slight edge in leading edge note attack with a shorter decay, and slightly more detail. This adds to more of a crisper texture to guitars relative to PF.

IMG_6117 2.jpgIMG_6348.jpg

Both i2s cables are excellent and very complementary to one another. I will continue to play around upgrading a few of the stock black power cords, and maybe even tube roll (Takatsuki 2A3s, WE drivers) based off impressions from some trusted members in this thread. But that wallet is quickly thinning :sweat:

The ZMF Calderas on the other hands are true to word regarding being as close to a dynamic driver while retaining the planar traits. There is strong speed but with a more organic decay in the bass and midrange that gives the headphone an alluring gruff, authority, and weight to the sound. This sounds excellent for drums, vocals, guitars, and especially bass. I do find the upper-mids a bit shouty, but I also have not been able to pad roll yet which I heard is instrumental in playing around with the sound signature. Also obsessed with her looks.

DSC01903.jpg

Anyways, really enjoying the amplifier + HPs, and how much more it has itching to get back home after work or the gym to sit down and just get lost in the music. :)

IMG_6153 2.jpgIMG_6345.jpg

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #84,253 of 89,199
Pause. One moment. Which gold brick? M1 or M2? Makes a difference as one is cheaper than the other.

You mean TOTL iems are becoming way too expensive? How dare they. Seriously having deja vu. I was talking with Bloom Audio today. I was literally going okay tell me what is so special about the Empire Ears Novus that they are worth the 5k price tag. You know it is an interesting market when the Annihilator becomes a good value for money in the TOTL market and it is around 3k.

Prices are wild now on the top end but you do get some good value sets from time to time. Maybe more so these days. I'm looking at bass focused (without bleeding into everything else) options around the 1k mark which is a short list of few things. The Titan is what I'm trying to hold off for since I'm hoping it's truly as good a value as some indicate it will be. I wish I could try the Crimson too even if it's a BA set and kinda bright on the top end.

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #84,254 of 89,199
Prices are wild now on the top end but you do get some good value sets from time to time. Maybe more so these days. I'm looking at bass focused (without bleeding into everything else) options around the 1k mark which is a short list of few things. The Titan is what I'm trying to hold off for since I'm hoping it's truly as good a value as some indicate it will be. I wish I could try the Crimson too even if it's a BA set and kinda bright on the top end.
Bass-focused around $1K sure sounds like the Singularity to me. 'Keen to try the Titan and Crimson at CanJam SG, only a couple more weeks now! :)

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #84,255 of 89,199
Bass-focused around $1K sure sounds like the Singularity to me. 'Keen to try the Titan and Crimson at CanJam SG, only a couple more weeks now! :)

At this point I'd prefer to wait for the standard version to hit the secondary market at 900-1k rather than pay full price for a new one. I do appreciate what BA and EST drivers can bring in tandem with a DD and the occasional review saying the Singularity can be bloated has sort of pushed me away from a blind buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back