The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 2, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #82,681 of 89,090
I can never get over the arrogance and hubris of those who insist on making making objective pronouncements about this fundamentally subjective hobby-- those who feel they can identify the boundaries and norms that the rest of us must conform to.

I don't have any use for headphones-- I've got no desire to be tethered to a brick, and I don't like having things on my head. And to deny that there aren't any domains in which IEMs have adavantages over headphones is quite frankly a flagrant violation of reality.
I felt the same initially, but then watched it. The video is actually about how IEM measurements are not accurate and why they are not accurate ( measuring device, insertion depth, difference in ear canals, etc ). And how HP’s don’t necessarily have this measurement issue. I thought it a pretty good video in that it explains the reasons for the inaccuracies.

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #82,682 of 89,090
"Value" is arguably the most subjective element of this inherently subjective hobby. For me Trifecta is one of the few high end IEMs that fully justifies its price and one of the few I can listen to exclusively long term without feeling the need to migrate anywhere else. It really came together for me with the WM1Z and this combo has pretty much taken me out of this hobby for the time being. Stoked for NYC next week, but I have little interest in even demoing anything new at this point. YMMV, and all that.

Not gonna lie I adore this set up..🔥

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #82,683 of 89,090
Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Keen to understand people's views on pricing in the classified section. I'm confused about how some sellers have enjoyed items for several months, but expect to sell them used at almost full retail.

For example, there's a bundle of three items advertised on the classifieds right now. All three items are about 6 months old, in the manufacturers current product range (<9 months) and are readily available new - they could be ordered via Amazon Prime and delivered brand new very quickly.

The seller is looking to recover 90% of the cost of these items against the Amazon pricing and obviously believes that a 10% discount on new is fair for their use of the items for 6 months

I've always beleived that once you have used something and call it your own for a while, you will be discounting on new for your use of those items when it comes time to sell.

I thought a 30% discount on new pricing was reasonable, but seems I've upset the seller

What are people's thoughts? Do I have an unreasonable view on used gear pricing/discounting?

(Not an academic question - I don't like offending people and I'm about to list some items so keen to level set appropriately)
30% is just fine.

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #82,684 of 89,090
I felt the same initially, but then watched it. The video is actually about how IEM measurements are not accurate and why they are not accurate ( measuring device, insertion depth, difference in ear canals, etc ). And how HP’s don’t necessarily have this measurement issue. I thought it a pretty good video in that it explains the reasons for the inaccuracies.

Fair enough-- but honestly this has been fairly evident for years. And as someone who doesn't give two sh1ts about IEM measurements this is a veritable non-issue for me. YMMV.

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #82,685 of 89,090
Fair enough-- but honestly this has been fairly evident for years. And as someone who doesn't give two sh1ts about IEM measurements this is a veritable non-issue for me. YMMV.
As you are also aware, many go by measurements. I liked the video in that it explained in detail why IEM measurements cannot be relied upon.

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #82,686 of 89,090
Yeah, the content of the video is solid for sure but it’s the Clickbait title that’s a little obnoxious like why not put an honest title instead of a misleading one, just to stir up drama for clicks.. it can rub people that love the hobby, the wrong way

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #82,687 of 89,090

Keen to understand people's views on pricing in the classified section. I'm confused about how some sellers have enjoyed items for several months, but expect to sell them used at almost full retail.

For example, there's a bundle of three items advertised on the classifieds right now. All three items are about 6 months old, in the manufacturers current product range (<9 months) and are readily available new - they could be ordered via Amazon Prime and delivered brand new very quickly.

The seller is looking to recover 90% of the cost of these items against the Amazon pricing and obviously believes that a 10% discount on new is fair for their use of the items for 6 months

I've always beleived that once you have used something and call it your own for a while, you will be discounting on new for your use of those items when it comes time to sell.

I thought a 30% discount on new pricing was reasonable, but seems I've upset the seller

What are people's thoughts? Do I have an unreasonable view on used gear pricing/discounting?

(Not an academic question - I don't like offending people and I'm about to list some items so keen to level set appropriately)
My feeling is that everyone has a different perception of the value of used gear, be it well used or barely used. The way I deal with classifieds is that, if I am selling, I try to price at the lower end or the lowest of what I've seen the item priced at by others. On the other hand, if I'm buying, I take the ad at face value, and if it's overpriced by my personal standards, I simply pass on it. I don't try to convince the seller of it's value, maybe the seller will discover this on his own if the item sits unsold for a long period of time. Bottom line, everyone has the right to sell their stuff for whatever price they want. IMO.

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #82,688 of 89,090
Yeah, the content of the video is solid for sure but it’s the Clickbait title that’s a little obnoxious like why not put an honest title instead of a misleading one, just to stir up drama for clicks.. it can rub people that love the hobby, the wrong way
Because YouTube reviewing is a business, so more clicks = more revenue. Same reason why today's online news media is a clickbait minefield.

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #82,689 of 89,090
What would happen if you took two TOTL cables and joined them with a transparent connector, say an orpheus and a shirogane 8w. Would the Orpheus brighten up? :joy:
Probably would depend on the order? I don't think cables can make something brighter than the source is. They can leave more brightness intact though.

So if you have a DAP, then Shirogane, and then Orpheus I'd say it's the same as having a DAP and then Orpheus solo (brightness-wise). While if you have a DAP, then Orpheus (than throws out the brightness) and then Shirogane you'd probably end up with less brightness as Shirogane won't amplify something that has been thrown out already.

I know yours was a tongue-in-cheek question but this is how I believe it would work.

If you have time you can find 20-30% discounts from your manufacturer of choice at shows, Christmas, Black Friday, anniversaries, et cetera. Because dealers know this you can ask for similar discounts or split the difference and get a new device with full warranty instead.

😨 You mean he shouldn't have been killed??? Oh well... Let's blame the internet these days.

drftr

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #82,690 of 89,090

Let's be real, it all depends on supply and demand. For example, there is an IEM in high demand with long waiting time, I saw people selling their set at MSRP and immediately sold. On the other hand, there are lists that are more than 50% off with nobody interested in them.

In my case, I sold my mint Sundara headphone for only $150, I also agreed to further reduced it by $10 for a local pickup. The headphone sold within min, and there are people messaging me for higher offers. But for me, I just want to sell it quickly. I might be able to get a hundred dollar or more if I played the waiting game but I just don't like selling stuff in general.

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #82,691 of 89,090
+1 shoutout for the Aurum! Great set for the price, hindered by being power hungry. 2.5mm stock cable didn't help, but now with the SR35 I've been using them more often :)

I find the RS8 has plenty of power to drive them - and indeed they are now supplied with a 4.4mm cable thankfully! I’ve not tried via my desktop yet which I must do.

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #82,692 of 89,090
+1 shoutout for the Aurum! Great set for the price, hindered by being power hungry. 2.5mm stock cable didn't help, but now with the SR35 I've been using them more often :)
Does the SR35 work for all streaming services?

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #82,693 of 89,090
Saturday evening now with the RS8 and Perpetua, a magical pairing with the right music and in this case the below album from Men I Trust absolutely hitting the spot beautifully.

IMG_1723.jpeg

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #82,694 of 89,090
Mar 2, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #82,695 of 89,090
:star: Rhapsodio Supreme MK3 First Impressions:star:

• Mid clarity, crisper presentation, many 'veils' lifted
  • Tuned neutral, mids are the spotlight, you may discover new notes in your music
  • Overall tuning profile is imbalanced as the sub bass and mid bass don't give 'meat' to the notes (polar opposite to XE6)
  • Supreme MK3 focused on upscaling the recordings (Mason FS focused on replicating the note presence)
  • Cable is very microphonic, old hardware, needs to be replaced
  • Requires power (eg M9 Plus, DMP Z1, Cayin N30)
  • Solid metal shell doesn't feel heavy in ear

Rhapsodio is a brand which eludes much of the Western Market, until recently when Musicteck began stocking their IEMs. My first experience with Rhapsodio was the Infinity Ultra, an IEM which took me by surprise with it's crystal clear presentation which would make even the most stringent detail fanatic swoon. Having auditioned Supreme MK3 for a few hours, this IEM reminds me of my brief time with Ultra in e-earphone. Supreme MK3 takes the Aroma Jewel 'shining midrange' to another level, an exercise of extracting every detail in the midrange, as if multiple veils are lifted. This IEM, like the finest hifi speakers ought to be used only with the finest recordings as Supreme MK3 can be downright unbearable with mediocre recordings. If you are a listener that carefully picks top shelf recordings or publishers, and has the gear to match the IEMs demands, Supreme 3 will reward you in spades.

The Supreme MK3 focuses on reproducing the midrange with detail and clarity you would expect from a hardware upsampler such as Chord Hugo 2 or DAVE. You will hear notes and subtle reflections in the recording that you may not have paid attention to before. For those who master or compose music, you may want to try Supreme MK3. With Supreme MK3 one could appreciate the subtle differences between a Bosendorfer and a Steinway, or the difference between Battery Recording Studio and Abbey Road Studio. The metal shell of Supreme 3 may contribute to the harder reflections of sound, almost brittle at times. When playing acid jazz, Supreme MK3 begins to falter and it's as if there are too many notes, competing for the ultra bright stage lights in the mid range. With this IEM, simpler passages such as jazz vocals, instrumentals, up to 4 piece ensembles are enjoyable. Beyond this, the notes shove elbows with each other, resulting in a cacophony of cold hard notes and brittle sound. If a singer is a tad sibilant, Supreme MK3 will replicate this and you will not be spared. Cymbals will splash unreservedly, not sparing the timid. The issue I see with Supreme MK3 is a lack of an anchor or stickiness in the notes. I would like to see a mid bass presence to ensure the mid performance doesn't become hard and congested when the music becomes complex. Compare with Mason FS, the Bone Conduction gives each instrument solid footing, so when the passage does become busy, each note still retains some body. While Mason FS lacks the mid bass presence for my preference, I feel the note body is retained with a more complex passage.

For those interested in Supreme MK3, I would recommend your library is mid focused, especially with vocals. For vocals alone, this set should be demo'd. I've never heard vocal recordings with such stunning clarity, each layer of the voice being pulled apart as if I were in Pro Tools. If Chord were to make a mid centric IEM, this would be a great blueprint. You will be uncovering many layers of your song...but mostly in the mids. At the same time I am aware I am listening to recordings, listening to vocals, aching for a bit more emotion, I didn't have this feeling with Mason FS or Trifecta.

Gear used: Sony DMP Z1 exclusively. WM1Z Special Edition used for photo purposes only.

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-01 at 16.18.11.jpeg

Can't wait to demo this beauty. Great review!

giphy (8).gif

MV5BZjMyYWI3M2UtMzkyMy00ZjU2LTlkZTMtZDY3ZmViY2M2NTFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMDUzNTI3._V1_FMjpg_UX1...jpg
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0114069/
MV5BMTY3MDk5MDc3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzAyNTg0Ng@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1598778/
MV5BN2Y2OWU4MWMtNmIyMy00YzMyLWI0Y2ItMTcyZDc3MTdmZDU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0114746/

My own snarky sarcasm aside, I think this last bit is especially pertinent. We're seeing the economic aftershock everywhere, especially in US housing and the shifting market of who's actually able to afford to live in cities where the jobs are.

Well, there is a choice called bedroom community, where there is few job available, but still within reasonable commenting time to where jobs are. The downside of it is the daily long commute.

I agree, the flying angel decal on a real wood custom is as iconic as the industry itself. Maybe JH should consider some audiophile-friendly creations to boost the business instead of focusing purely on the pro market, but that's more a wish from someone who'd love to own one of their smexy customs one day rather than solid business advice. 🙄

Pro market is small, now with 64audio in it, will JH survive with only pro market? It is very hard to be success in both markets, 64audio is one of them, but just barely so in audiophile market. From the video I saw of 64audio interview, I found them were still heavily focused on replicating the music, instead of audiophile fun factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back