The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 28, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #75,706 of 91,360
Just recieved the 634 Ears Loak Prototype 3 LE 30 pieces. It has a Brass Faceplate and tips with Titanium body.

Built like a tank and sounds like a volcanic eruption. Crisp with deep Bass. This is the only IEM that gives the Singularity a run for its money.

Simply amazing 🌋
IMG20231228153538.jpg

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #75,707 of 91,360
For some reason I feel 2024 going to be a make or break for a lot of brands. I predict at least a few 10k iem to hit the market. There will be a slow decline of uber market followed by a reset to the high end market as fellow audiophile realise all the new releases aren't offering anything new or revolutionary.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #75,708 of 91,360
Let me set the context of this morning’s listening session. I used the Sony 1ZM2 (no other reason than it was near me). My initial impression upon slipping on the APX was the trebles were well extended, yet smooth. The fact that the stem is longish does mean that the soundstage and vibration is closer to the ear drums. I think that is an excellent design feature. That is the very obvious impression I had on initial listnening. I was discussing with my group of Cooler friends and I was surprised to be told that there is in fact no BCD. That it is a planar for ultra low, DD for low, 8 BA fo r mids/highs and a planar for ultra high. I recall that the drivers were built to the specificiatons of @piotrus-g . So, not surprisingly, it is unlike anything I have heard before.

I should mention the visceral nature of the bass and sub bass. Whilst it is visceral, it is nonetheless nuanced and textured. I think the reason it is the way it is lies with the deep insertion with the design of the shell, in particular the stem and the angle at which it is done. The insertion is deep and yet still very comfortable. I was using the Electech Baroque ear tips and it was a match made in heaven. I can pay no greater compliment than to say that coming from a world where my go to option is FitEar customs that there was times during my listening session I did not realise that I was wearing an UIEM, as the APX faded away from my consciousness. This must be the first pair of UIEMs I have put on which frankly feels like I am wearing a pair of customs in terms of comfort and fit. And the ease with which I am getting the visceral yet nuanced bass is not something I have had other than with the DD based range from FitEar customs, in particular the titanium range.

I am certain it is how the APX has been designed to have that particular stem insertion depth, coupled with the angle of the stem. I salute the effort and R&D here.

The APX is not something that jumped out and immediately revealed everything at one go. As I listened, it seemed that it slowly grew on me as it slowly revealed what it can do with each successive song I was listening to.

I am not so good at technical terms in describing sound. What I will say is that the APX is on the warmer side of neutral. I like the sound density but yet excellent instrument separation. The sound stage is something I really like: it is cocoon like. The trebles are well extended with nary a hint of harshness. The trebles have obviously seen good work done on them. At the same time, there is this visceral bass which to its credit does not bleed into the mids or overpower the rest of the notes. The mids have a nice timbral quality to them.

As I hinted earlier, in terms of how the various parts of the sound spectrum is put together, it does indeed remind me of the first time I had heard the Susvara years ago when Dr Fang Bian brought a pair for me to try after dinner with his Singapore AD: layers upon layers of details and aural information. I really thought my head was going to explode that evening. :wink:

What I particularly liked about the APX is that it is not trying to impress. No special party trick to make anything stick out. It adopts a pretty holistic approach In its musical presentation.

IMG_1687.jpeg

This was one of the songs I was listening to this morning. It is a sad song. A duet sung by two female vocalists. You will understand the sadness when you understand the lyrics and the undercurrents of the duet between two women in an opera troupe and their aspirations for freedom. The APX really works this well and wrings the emotions out of the song and the vocals especially during the finale but yet keeps the individual vocals distinct and layered. I will say that it was an emotive experience. For me, I am not so taken by technicalities but by how any transducer plucks my heartstrings. By that token, I think the APX passes that test.

I am frankly surprised how so many drivers have been squeezed into a small shell as this. The implementation is top notch as well. Because of how well the shell has been designed, the fit is excellent for me. As a consequence, the isolation is very good: I feel insulated and cocooned with them in my ears. At first glance, I thought the shell was a little unusual looking but once I slipped it on, it worked well.

Apologies for the rambling. :) What I will say is that I am impressed by the APX. The musical presentation is excellent, as is the design of the shell and its stem. Everything is well conceived and implemented. I can say no better than it fit me like a pair of custom and once the music started playing, it melted away and it no longer impinged on my consciousness. :)
Thank you for your impression my friend. When I see the nozzle stem I raised my eyebrow too, but based on your review I think I'll be fine with it 😁
Have you tried it with a more powerful source? I want to know the scalability of APX. Thanks 😉

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #75,709 of 91,360
Thanks for the feedback on SE300 - a laggy UI is an immediate dealbreaker so that’s crossed off the list immediately.

Perpetua is here… what a stunning unboxing experience. I suspect any plans I had for the rest of today will be scrapped!

IMG_9541.jpeg

IMG_9543.jpeg

IMG_9544.jpeg

IMG_9546.jpeg

IMG_9545.jpeg

IMG_9550.jpeg

IMG_9548.jpeg

IMG_9553.jpeg

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #75,710 of 91,360
Thanks for the feedback on SE300 - a laggy UI is an immediate dealbreaker so that’s crossed off the list immediately.

Perpetua is here… what a stunning unboxing experience. I suspect any plans I had for the rest of today will be scrapped!

IMG_9541.jpeg

IMG_9543.jpeg

IMG_9544.jpeg

IMG_9546.jpeg

IMG_9545.jpeg

IMG_9550.jpeg

IMG_9548.jpeg

IMG_9553.jpeg
Great way to spend the Xmas bonus. Looks stunning. Congrats! 🎊

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #75,711 of 91,360
Let me set the context of this morning’s listening session. I used the Sony 1ZM2 (no other reason than it was near me). My initial impression upon slipping on the APX was the trebles were well extended, yet smooth. The fact that the stem is longish does mean that the soundstage and vibration is closer to the ear drums. I think that is an excellent design feature. That is the very obvious impression I had on initial listnening. I was discussing with my group of Cooler friends and I was surprised to be told that there is in fact no BCD. That it is a planar for ultra low, DD for low, 8 BA fo r mids/highs and a planar for ultra high. I recall that the drivers were built to the specificiatons of @piotrus-g . So, not surprisingly, it is unlike anything I have heard before.

I should mention the visceral nature of the bass and sub bass. Whilst it is visceral, it is nonetheless nuanced and textured. I think the reason it is the way it is lies with the deep insertion with the design of the shell, in particular the stem and the angle at which it is done. The insertion is deep and yet still very comfortable. I was using the Electech Baroque ear tips and it was a match made in heaven. I can pay no greater compliment than to say that coming from a world where my go to option is FitEar customs that there was times during my listening session I did not realise that I was wearing an UIEM, as the APX faded away from my consciousness. This must be the first pair of UIEMs I have put on which frankly feels like I am wearing a pair of customs in terms of comfort and fit. And the ease with which I am getting the visceral yet nuanced bass is not something I have had other than with the DD based range from FitEar customs, in particular the titanium range.

I am certain it is how the APX has been designed to have that particular stem insertion depth, coupled with the angle of the stem. I salute the effort and R&D here.

The APX is not something that jumped out and immediately revealed everything at one go. As I listened, it seemed that it slowly grew on me as it slowly revealed what it can do with each successive song I was listening to.

I am not so good at technical terms in describing sound. What I will say is that the APX is on the warmer side of neutral. I like the sound density but yet excellent instrument separation. The sound stage is something I really like: it is cocoon like. The trebles are well extended with nary a hint of harshness. The trebles have obviously seen good work done on them. At the same time, there is this visceral bass which to its credit does not bleed into the mids or overpower the rest of the notes. The mids have a nice timbral quality to them.

As I hinted earlier, in terms of how the various parts of the sound spectrum is put together, it does indeed remind me of the first time I had heard the Susvara years ago when Dr Fang Bian brought a pair for me to try after dinner with his Singapore AD: layers upon layers of details and aural information. I really thought my head was going to explode that evening. :wink:

What I particularly liked about the APX is that it is not trying to impress. No special party trick to make anything stick out. It adopts a pretty holistic approach In its musical presentation.

This was one of the songs I was listening to this morning. It is a sad song. A duet sung by two female vocalists. You will understand the sadness when you understand the lyrics and the undercurrents of the duet between two women in an opera troupe and their aspirations for freedom. The APX really works this well and wrings the emotions out of the song and the vocals especially during the finale but yet keeps the individual vocals distinct and layered. I will say that it was an emotive experience. For me, I am not so taken by technicalities but by how any transducer plucks my heartstrings. By that token, I think the APX passes that test.

I am frankly surprised how so many drivers have been squeezed into a small shell as this. The implementation is top notch as well. Because of how well the shell has been designed, the fit is excellent for me. As a consequence, the isolation is very good: I feel insulated and cocooned with them in my ears. At first glance, I thought the shell was a little unusual looking but once I slipped it on, it worked well.

Apologies for the rambling. :) What I will say is that I am impressed by the APX. The musical presentation is excellent, as is the design of the shell and its stem. Everything is well conceived and implemented. I can say no better than it fit me like a pair of custom and once the music started playing, it melted away and it no longer impinged on my consciousness. :)

An excellent review of the Apx, my friend. What you described seems to me to indicate an extraordinary iem. The temptation is great, but €6000, that's a lot.
Thanks @Kiats

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #75,712 of 91,360
Thank you for your impression my friend. When I see the nozzle stem I raised my eyebrow too, but based on your review I think I'll be fine with it 😁
Have you tried it with a more powerful source? I want to know the scalability of APX. Thanks 😉
Most welcome! Yes, it did throw me off but the angle at which it is placed actually works very well. I have not. I will likely have a listen with the M9+ or one of the LP DAPs tomorrow. :) Most of today was spent with headphones. :wink:

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #75,713 of 91,360
An excellent review of the Apx, my friend. What you described seems to me to indicate an extraordinary iem. The temptation is great, but €6000, that's a lot.
Thanks @Kiats
Most welcome! Well, what I will say is this: I think the APX is innovative in the use of drivers, how it is implemented and it is subtle in its holistic approach to the portrayal of music. It may be that it will be money well spent as you will feel no temptation to chase the next FOTM. :wink:

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #75,714 of 91,360
I wanted to find a TWS that offered something different from the APP2…if losing in integration, hopefully gaining in audio quality/presentation.

I’m happy to report these Denon Perl Pro (formerly Nuratrue Pro) fit the bill and I’ve been using them in my hikes and workouts: full, dynamic and engulfing sound.
Recommended!

IMG_1321.jpeg

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #75,715 of 91,360

Can you give any quick impressions of the sound? I’m so curious what you think lol.

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #75,716 of 91,360
In case you missed it!

😊

Great video, thank-you for sharing. You provide one of the more interesting and refreshing perspectives, especially as far as the Youtube scene is concerned. Although inevitably my own choices would be different it's hard to argue with any of yours, or your reasoning. We do share a passion for two particular IEMs, namely the Trifecta and the Perpetua. I agree that (among other things) the Trifecta is currently the pre-eminent bass driven IEM on the market right now, and likely will be for some time. Also, I count myself among those who sought out, and subsequently fell in love with the Perpetua in large part due to your enthusiasm for it. Keep up the great work man, cheers.

Nice. Definitely one of the more oppulent unboxing experiences out there. Looking forward to sound impressions :)

Edit: A reminder to all you last minute voters to vote in the IEM of the year poll if you haven't already. The poll will close on Sunday December 31 at noon, Pacific Time. Results will be shared that evening.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #75,717 of 91,360
I’ll share impressions shortly - actually do have to pop out briefly! Let’s just say in the few minutes I listened, they certainly sound fantastic and very much as per impressions and reviews I’ve read… and indeed yet again reaffirm my love for single DDs.

Dec 28, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #75,718 of 91,360

IMG_9541.jpeg

IMG_9543.jpeg

IMG_9544.jpeg

IMG_9546.jpeg

IMG_9545.jpeg

IMG_9550.jpeg

IMG_9548.jpeg

IMG_9553.jpeg
This looks absolutely gorgeous, my god. I love that cable too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back