The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 28, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #75,737 of 91,358
You good, bro??

drftr
Yes bro, I am running well. Just some emergency at home. So had some commitments elsewhere before i even got to know about the meetup.

Thanks for asking.

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #75,738 of 91,358
I just can't image how two planar drivers are fit inside a tiny IEM along with 1 DD and 8 other BA drivers.
I believe the planar drivers in the APX are a new variant more akin to smaller BAs in form factor.

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #75,740 of 91,358
I’m waiting for my APX demo to be delivered. Ugh, hurry up UPS! They’re normally delivering to me by now but the holiday season has them quite backed up. I should have it in a couple of hours. 😎
I am just doing some wild guess, you may find APX not as attractive, from what @Kiats had described.

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #75,741 of 91,358
I’m waiting for my APX demo to be delivered. Ugh, hurry up UPS! They’re normally delivering to me by now but the holiday season has them quite backed up. I should have it in a couple of hours. 😎

DHL were maybe 45 minutes later than usual today - I was developing a nervous twitch and sore neck looking out for imaginary vans pulling up…

Finally about to have a proper session with Perpetua. Oh and @drftr - thankfully I’ve no issue with fit, definitely need my largest tips but very comfortable. I’ve ordered those Eletech tips to try too.

IMG_9572.jpeg

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #75,743 of 91,358
Any A&K SE300 owners here? - curious to hear thoughts… pros and cons. Having sold my N7 recently, I’m looking for something to complement LPGT Ti and R2R or something with warmth is appealing - M9 Plus also on the radar. Anyone tried both? I’m probably leaning a bit more towards M9 Plus as I think it has more power, plus I really liked the OG.
Weighing in a little late on the SE300 but here goes…

I wouldn’t call the SE300 bright, it is more neutral and smooth in my opinion. I like pairing it with Odin’s, it tends to calm down the upper mid/treble peak that can be a little harsh at times. Compared to the N8ii, it is far more warm and relaxed, less treble, less sub bass. I almost always go with non-oversampling and the A amp. I really enjoy it. I tend to enjoy more laid back music and I think that it fits the bill for that realm very well. Just my opinion.

Laggy? It sure is. That’s something you have to put up with. Maybe you shouldn’t have to.

There is a good but not super active thread under the “Sponsor Announcements and Deals” forum category that gets into various impressions and shortcomings of the SE300. It's worth looking at.

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #75,744 of 91,358
Weighing in a little late on the SE300 but here goes…

I wouldn’t call the SE300 bright, it is more neutral and smooth in my opinion. I like pairing it with Odin’s, it tends to calm down the upper mid/treble peak that can be a little harsh at times. Compared to the N8ii, it is far more warm and relaxed, less treble, less sub bass. I almost always go with non-oversampling and the A amp. I really enjoy it. I tend to enjoy more laid back music and I think that it fits the bill for that realm very well. Just my opinion.

Laggy? It sure is. That’s something you have to put up with. Maybe you shouldn’t have to.

There is a good but not super active thread under the “Sponsor Announcements and Deals” forum category that gets into various impressions and shortcomings of the SE300. It's worth looking at.

Thank you, always good to read a number of impressions - I’ll definitely take a look at the thread. I’m in no hurry, in the research stage which in itself is quite enjoyable!

I found the N7 somewhat laggy vs M9 or DX320, especially browsing local albums where the artwork took a bit to load. It wasn’t terrible, but certainly noticeable vs those other two, and indeed the M6 Ultra. I do feel at those price levels in almost 2024, they should not suffer from a slow UI. DX320 was a dream to use come to think of it!

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #75,746 of 91,358
R&D went into developing shrink-ray :wink:
I do anticipate magic of planar implementation in IEMs, there is something special about planar drivers.

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #75,748 of 91,358
Thank you, always good to read a number of impressions - I’ll definitely take a look at the thread. I’m in no hurry, in the research stage which in itself is quite enjoyable!

I found the N7 somewhat laggy vs M9 or DX320, especially browsing local albums where the artwork took a bit to load. It wasn’t terrible, but certainly noticeable vs those other two, and indeed the M6 Ultra. I do feel at those price levels in almost 2024, they should not suffer from a slow UI. DX320 was a dream to use come to think of it!
Interestingly, I am looking for N7 to replace my 1A, recently N7 is close to $1k in classifieds. I had N7 for two weeks and really love it except it is on the borderline being too heavy for my use case. Just wondering if M6U can be a good choice to replace 1A, or close to N7 in term of SQ.

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #75,749 of 91,358
Interestingly, I am looking for N7 to replace my 1A, recently N7 is close to $1k in classifieds. I had N7 for two weeks and really love it except it is on the borderline being too heavy for my use case. Just wondering if M6U can be a good choice to replace 1A, or close to N7 in term of SQ.
Just get RU7, that would fit your bill if you like N7

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #75,750 of 91,358

I think the M6U is a fantastic little DAP and really not far off N7 - wouldn’t have the same resolution and smaller stage but I mostly found I didn’t notice that much and reached for M6U a lot more lately due to compact size - plus more power too at 720mW. N7 is of course a ‘better’ DAP and great deals to be had… think I’ve seen M6U as low as $500 or so which is an absolute bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back