The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 9, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #72,811 of 91,367
Interesting! My experience with MSE was different. It had too much bass, too much "boom". Female vocals felt veiled by the bass, and the bass sounded like it was in between me and the female singer. It was like someone put the "boom boom" speakers in between me and her.

My experience with GM (if I rmb correctly) wasn't like this. The "boom boom" were placed at my sides, while there was nothing (at least, nothing bass related) in the space between me and female singer.
I had another comment along with that where I mentioned that it was with Raphael cable. I would stay away from the stock cable. Also the ear tips play a huge part.

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #72,812 of 91,367
I haven't had such a strong urge to click on the ignore button since being a Head Fi member from 2013. Why are people so butthurt and abrasive nowadays to everything?

The Christmas season would not be complete without a Grinch.

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #72,814 of 91,367
Welcome back!

No, it's not weird. I prefer IEMs also. Many will insist that there is an objective decrease in SQ going from full size to IEMs, and maybe that's true-- but I'm so acclimatized to IEMs and their mode of presentation that I've yet to hear a full size setup that has really convinced me of their superiority...and I've heard some nice ones at various CanJams and meets. Part of it is that I'm just so used to the immediacy of IEMs firing right into my brain that full size cans always sound distant or not as satisfying when I try them. Perhaps if I had a good headphone rig and listened to it for a week straight until I got used to it then my mind would be changed. But sound quality differential or not it's indisuptable imho that IEM sound quality has improved in leaps and bounds in recent years-- in particular in the last 4-5 years and while there may be an objective gap in sound quality as far as I'm concerned it's sufficiently narrow that the one advantage of IEMs still holds strong, namely...
...their portability and it is for this reason that any discussion of IEMs vs. headphones is for a me a moot point because desktop gear by its very definition cannot give me the one thing I really want-- freedome to roam wide and far with a portable audio paradise. Another factor for me is that I can't stand the sensationm of having headphones on my head and don't enjoy wearing them for longer stretches.

That is lovely. A man wonders if there is a website anywhere where he could see a list of available products and perhaps order one.

In this day and age I don't think IEM sound quality is anything to trifle at.
Portability is a deciding factor. I can bring all my IEMs to CanJam in one case, can't imagine anything of the sort with headphones. The space 10 iems take vs the space and storage for 10 sets of full phones...nope. I like having one full size headphone and lots of miniatures that can travel, whether to China or the bathroom!!! IEMs are insanely good these days!

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #72,815 of 91,367
Correct me if I am wrong, just like Dita Audio, single DD flagship usually is designed for a single driver only, when you go to hybrid, you can't expect the same DD will create even more magic with additional BA or Planar in a hybrid design. That's why most of the TOTL hybrid have higher count of drivers.

Even though I know the price of Dita Perpetua, I will still think Dita's hybrid project will be priced much lower, given the driver count.

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #72,816 of 91,367
I haven't had such a strong urge to click on the ignore button since being a Head Fi member from 2013. Why are people so butthurt and abrasive nowadays to everything?
Yeah that’s just the way he is. Check his history and you’ll notice he’s always like that. Ignoring would be a great strategy in my opinion.

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #72,817 of 91,367
Portability is a deciding factor. I can bring all my IEMs to CanJam in one case, can't imagine anything of the sort with headphones. The space 10 iems take vs the space and storage for 10 sets of full phones...nope. I like having one full size headphone and lots of miniatures that can travel, whether to China or the bathroom!!! IEMs are insanely good these days!

In additional to that, most full size headphones also need to work with desktop Amps, some even work the best with tube amps, which make headphone even less portable. You need a pickup truck to bring your headphone gears to a meetup.

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #72,818 of 91,367
Having a Saturday night with my DD collection - mostly doing some tip rolling as it’s been a while. I must say that I regret pretty much every single DD I’ve chosen to part with, they should all be here in this family photo… Zen Pro, Eclipse, to name just two!

Of these, IE900 has easily clocked up the most hours, followed by Turii Ti - after that hard to say but probably A5000 as a regular choice for a morning walk or office commute. The FW10K has a bit of a complex at this stage as I’ve had it up and down countless times on classifieds, yielding many tyre kickers but never sold… clearly meant to stay with me!

IMG_9170.jpeg

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #72,819 of 91,367
Looking forward to this one too. I just checked Dita's FB page and they stated in the comments section that, "We'll be staggering the Project M's rollout but it should hit markets internationally in January!"

Custom 9.8mm DD x1
Knowles BA x 1
Estimated to retail at $325 USD

1702153924492.png

Yeah I’m excited to try Project M - I’ve signed up for a review and should have it hopefully before Christmas.

Perpetua an itch I have to scratch at some point…

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #72,820 of 91,367
Having a Saturday night with my DD collection - mostly doing some tip rolling as it’s been a while. I must say that I regret pretty much every single DD I’ve chosen to part with, they should all be here in this family photo… Zen Pro, Eclipse, to name just two!

Of these, IE900 has easily clocked up the most hours, followed by Turii Ti - after that hard to say but probably A5000 as a regular choice for a morning walk or office commute. The FW10K has a bit of a complex at this stage as I’ve had it up and down countless times on classifieds, yielding many tyre kickers but never sold… clearly meant to stay with me!

IMG_9170.jpeg
You almost single-handed piqued my interest in IE900 since quite a few people mentioned that they cannot even handle IE900 in their ears for more than two minutes.

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #72,821 of 91,367
Correct.

But some don't want reasonable. They want to bump up the price just to indulge in being one of the very few to own the item. And, lo and behold, (most) manufacturers are happy to oblige. Prices of 3k didn't close enough doors, so they went to 4k, then 6k, now 8k.

I wanted to comment on this post again. You are quite right to point out that the prices of summit fi IEMs have gone off the rails in recent years. I also think you correctly point out that exclusivity is a motivation for some-- this is practically a truism and an intrinsic part of human nature. However the tone of your post here crosses a line and seems to strike a resentful tone towards those who, for whatever reason, choose to indulge themselves in the highest price tiers of IEMs. This is not the first time you have done this in this thread and I am respectfully asking you to stop it. There are inumerable audio communities out there where people love to cast aspersions at the cost and value of high end IEMs and stroke themselves into believing that those of us who partake in the same are deluded or lost in lala land. The fact is that the folks who comprise this community are by and large educated professionals who can keep their own council around how they spend their money, where they perceive value to be and where to invest their money in order to receive a proportional amount of joy and satisfaction. We don't need folks who don't see the value, or who are butt hurt they can't partake-- to come in here and stomp their feet, whine out loud, and tell us how we should or should not be spending our money. If that's your thing go to Reddit or one of the more budget oriented threads on Head Fi. This is a community where all are welcome but as in any community proper ettiquette demands that when visiting you use tact and respect established norms and values. I hope this post strikes you in the right spirit. I have appreciated your contributions in the past, and am prepared to do so in the future-- but kindly stop these resentful and dismissive posts around the perceived value of high end IEMs. The market can and will correct itself eventually-- and until it does we should all just be grateful that we're living through an era where there are endgame qulaity products on just about every conceivable price tier.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #72,822 of 91,367
You almost single-handed piqued my interest in IE900 since quite a few people mentioned that they cannot even handle IE900 in their ears for more than two minutes.

Yes they seem to cause a problem in that regard for some - maybe an age thing, but I've never had a problem and love the crisp uppers. IE900 play any genre for me incredibly well... comfortable, and excellent isolation means they are a set I always reach for when I travel - I had many moments when in Vegas a couple of weeks ago where I was pondering how I could still choose this set as an IEM to leave the hobby with! They were a real 'eureka' moment for me when I first bought them back in early 2021, and remain very special over two years later.

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #72,823 of 91,367
Correct.

But some don't want reasonable. They want to bump up the price just to indulge in being one of the very few to own the item. And, lo and behold, (most) manufacturers are happy to oblige. Prices of 3k didn't close enough doors, so they went to 4k, then 6k, now 8k.
Since you have detected a gap in the market, open up your own shop and compete. Follow in TGX Ear’s footsteps, offer superb sound quality at superb prices. As you know, it takes no skill to complain and whine.

But of course, you won’t actually contribute to the market. Virtue signaling is more your game.

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #72,824 of 91,367
I enjoy it but I think its treble is indeed a bit spicy - I don't find it sharp but is definitely elevated to the point where I can see people disliking it. Bass is absolutely epic on these and I'd put them as one of the best bass sets available.

The IE600 is definitely a more "normally" tuned set tho.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #72,825 of 91,367
Weekend survey question 1: What is a brand or IEM or piece of gear that has continued to elude you through the years?

Survey question 2: What item is #1 on your radar as we close out 2023?
What is a brand or IEM or piece of gear that has continued to elude you through the years?
Chord products....not for not wanting to try them or being unable to...there's just something about the brand and their philosophies (and owner) that simply push the wrong buttons.

What item is #1 on your radar as we close out 2023?
The APX, I've wanted a planar for a long while now, maybe this is the first one not to suck and bring a very unique sound to the table? We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back