The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 9, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #72,796 of 91,365
Weekend survey question 1: What is a brand or IEM or piece of gear that has continued to elude you through the years?
Aroma, Elysian (Lee's top IEMs, not Diva or Gaea)
Survey question 2: What item is #1 on your radar as we close out 2023?
Aroma Fei Wan, Elysian Annihilator and/or Dio, purely out of interest, not to own.

Edit: honorable mentions: Subtonic Storm (like the others, just to know what it sounds like and understand its appeal), and Nightjar Duality, because BASS.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #72,797 of 91,365
Alright everyone, here is the 2023 Watercooler End of Year Survey

Note:

1) It will be open until December 27, following which I will compile and share the data in the closing days of 2023.
2) I will use this data, and other poll data throughout the year, to compile a selection from which folks can vote on an "IEM of the Year" to cap off the year.
3) If you want to change your vote just vote again and when tabulating I will only count your most recent vote.
4) The only required question is your Head Fi name-- this is to assure everyone gets only one vote and makes it possible for me to do this without requiring that you submit your email addresses or other personal info.
5) The link to the survey will be available in my signature.

Cheers and thanks for another great year!

Dec 9, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #72,798 of 91,365
If we name a 2023 IEM company of the year, my guess it will be FATfreq, mostly in term of pleasant surprise.

Dec 9, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #72,799 of 91,365
Dec 9, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #72,800 of 91,365
Dec 9, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #72,801 of 91,365
If we name a 2023 IEM company of the year, my guess it will be FATfreq, mostly in term of pleasant surprise.

I could think of 3-4 companies that could justifiably lay claim to that...depending on who you ask and what the criteria is.

I left them out of the "Flagship" question...that was an unfortunate oversight. I apologize in advance for any other slights or oversights...I did my best to provide a fair and representative cross section wherever I could.

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #72,803 of 91,365
My MSE is a universal one.
Talking about the sub-bass, it only comes to play when the song has it. Even then it doesn't bleed or interfere on the other frequencies. Fatfreq has nailed it. When the song doesn't have it, it stays out of the way. Very well behaved.
Interesting! My experience with MSE was different. It had too much bass, too much "boom". Female vocals felt veiled by the bass, and the bass sounded like it was in between me and the female singer. It was like someone put the "boom boom" speakers in between me and her.

My experience with GM (if I rmb correctly) wasn't like this. The "boom boom" were placed at my sides, while there was nothing (at least, nothing bass related) in the space between me and female singer.

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #72,805 of 91,365
Weekend survey question 1: What is a brand or IEM or piece of gear that has continued to elude you through the years?

1. Subtonic
2. Storm

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #72,806 of 91,365

1. CFA has eluded me until recently.

2. Trifecta remains top target.

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #72,807 of 91,365
1 DD+ 1 BA, $300 is reasonable.
Correct.

But some don't want reasonable. They want to bump up the price just to indulge in being one of the very few to own the item. And, lo and behold, (most) manufacturers are happy to oblige. Prices of 3k didn't close enough doors, so they went to 4k, then 6k, now 8k.

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #72,808 of 91,365
The upcoming Dita hybrid is named Project M, which houses a single BA+single DD design. Cardas cables are used to interconnect drivers which is a standout for its price, estimated around 320 USD (~10000TWD).

Props to Eddie. Did you leave out a zero or is it really $320 USD projected?

1 DD+ 1 BA, $300 is reasonable.
Looking forward to this one too. I just checked Dita's FB page and they stated in the comments section that, "We'll be staggering the Project M's rollout but it should hit markets internationally in January!"

Custom 9.8mm DD x1
Knowles BA x 1
Estimated to retail at $325 USD

1702153924492.png

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #72,809 of 91,365
Looking forward to this one too. I just checked Dita's FB page and they stated in the comments section that, "We'll be staggering the Project M's rollout but it should hit markets internationally in January!"

Custom 9.8mm DD x1
Knowles BA x 1
Estimated to retail at $325 USD

I'm excited too. Never heard a Dita before but Perpetua made me a fan. $300 is fully in blind buy territory for something like this, and at that price I won't expect it to compete with Perpetua or anything. I just hope it's readily available for us in North America.

Correct.

But some don't want reasonable. They want to bump up the price just to indulge in being one of the very few to own the item. And, lo and behold, (most) manufacturers are happy to oblige. Prices of 3k didn't close enough doors, so they went to 4k, then 6k, now 8k.

I agree that exclusivity is a commodity in this hobby-- as it is for any luxury hobby-- and that the prices of the summit IEMs have gone insane. However I think most of us just want something that sounds good enough that we aren't hankering for that "next level" in sound. Fortunately though you don't have to scale that high to find end-game quality IEMs. For me the sweet spot lately is about $1500, though I have been very pleasantly surprised at some sub $1k stuff, most recently the Cascara.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #72,810 of 91,365
I haven't had such a strong urge to click on the ignore button since being a Head Fi member from 2013. Why are people so butthurt and abrasive nowadays to everything?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back