The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 17, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #7,201 of 88,594
Every Dynamic Driver I ever had HP and IEM was better after 24 hours of burn in. Just my experience so far.

I would say the same thing-- but the thing is it's just as true of sets I've gotten used as new sets...at least in my experience. Case in point. I've had the Dorado 2020 for the better part of a year. I sent it in for a test and CFA wound up sending me a brand new unit. I bought my original Dorado 2020 used so I didn't have the opportunity to experience any non-brain burn-- but I did find the sound getting better and better to my ears in my first days and weeks with it. When I got the new one a few days ago and plugged it in I recognized it as a rare opportunity to add weight or not to the burn in question-- and what I found was that this new Dorado sounded exactly like I remembered my old one sounding. Could this have just been my brain filling in the gaps? Perhaps...but that's what muddies this whole question a little...ie., the capacity of the mind to delude itself. Ultimately in this rare instance I'm somewhat sympathetic to the measurement fascist position in that absent something measurable here it will be difficult to prove conclusively one way or the other.

Dec 17, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #7,202 of 88,594
I would say the same thing-- but the thing is it's just as true of sets I've gotten used as new sets...at least in my experience. Case in point. I've had the Dorado 2020 for the better part of a year. I sent it in for a test and CFA wound up sending me a brand new unit. I bought my original Dorado 2020 used so I didn't have the opportunity to experience any non-brain burn-- but I did find the sound getting better and better to my ears in my first days and weeks with it. When I got the new one a few days ago and plugged it in I recognized it as a rare opportunity to add weight or not to the burn in question-- and what I found was that this new Dorado sounded exactly like I remembered my old one sounding. Could this have just been my brain filling in the gaps? Perhaps...but that's what muddies this whole question a little...ie., the capacity of the mind to delude itself. Ultimately in this rare instance I'm somewhat sympathetic to the measurement fascist position in that absent something measurable here it will be difficult to prove conclusively one way or the other.
But does it matter, really? If it sounds better for you I'd say it's not relevant whether it's a true thing or not.

I just wished brain burn in worked for XM4's as these are the most comfortable and portable IEMs I'll ever find.

drftr

Dec 17, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #7,203 of 88,594
All that may be true but why not just burn in the sets and that way you will have no doubt that you are judging what you are hearing accurately and giving the set the best shot for your love.

To the brain burn in question oh boy is that real.
I run into that every time I retire a set and switch to another as a daily driver. Noticed that a lot when I recently switched from Mason FS to Traillii after a couple month break from the Traillii. And than when I retired the Traillii for a couple weeks to remember the U12T again since people started talking about that set again. U12T is retired again and I switched back to Traillii. Isa and Thummim I never retired they both have a limited use case for me.

My Elysium is hibernating at the moment. And the MEST has been resting for over a year now.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #7,204 of 88,594
But does it matter, really? If it sounds better for you I'd say it's not relevant whether it's a true thing or not.
drftr
Like I say, this whole life, it's all a dream anyway...

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #7,205 of 88,594

I just wished brain burn in worked for XM4's as these are the most comfortable and portable IEMs I'll ever find.

drftr

No it doesn't-- I have no real horse in this race though and don't bring it up that often.

All that may be true but why not just burn in the sets and that way you will have no doubt that you are judging what you are hearing accurately and giving the set the best shot for your love.

Honestly assuming burn in is true I'd rather listen to the set through the burn in process to experience the joy of hearing it get better. YMMV etc.

To the brain burn in question oh boy is that real.
I run into that every time I retire a set and switch to another as a daily driver. Noticed that a lot when I recently switched from Mason FS to Traillii after a couple month break from the Traillii. And than when I retired the Traillii for a couple weeks to remember the U12T again since people started talking about that set again. U12T is retired again and I switched back to Traillii. Isa and Thummim I never retired they both have a limited use case for me.

My Elysium is in hybernation at the moment. And the MEST has been resting for over a year now.

This is kind of the ideal I'm shooting for-- to have a few monitors on hand that meet my needs in different ways and cycle through them at whatever interval works-- it's a way to keep things fresh and interesting without always seeking to buy new stuff.

Dec 17, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #7,207 of 88,594
Honestly assuming burn in is true I'd rather listen to the set through the burn in process to experience the joy of hearing it get better. YMMV etc.
This may not be that relevant, but made me think of how when my Children were growing up I never noticed them change. Every day they changed so little. But when I looked at a couple photos of them separated by a year or more I could see actually a lot of change.

Dec 17, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #7,208 of 88,594
This Vulcan logic is very agreeable.
Could this have just been my brain filling in the gaps? Perhaps...but that's what muddies this whole question a little...ie., the capacity of the mind to delude itself
Yep, I got that big time when I went back to DS after r-2r for 2 weeks. "Is it really that digital sounding or was my brain bridging the gaps before and now having the full course detail meal my brain got lazy connecting the missing bits?" After some time it got more cohesive, but I never fully recovered.

Humans do some amazing things based on what the expectation result is. Lots of make-believe and squinting.

Dec 17, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #7,209 of 88,594
differences.jpg

Dec 17, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #7,210 of 88,594
This is kind of the ideal I'm shooting for-- to have a few monitors on hand that meet my needs in different ways and cycle through them at whatever interval works-- it's a way to keep things fresh and interesting without always seeking to buy new stuff.
That is my plan exactly.
Right now I am not craving anything new, that would drive me to add another set. and I got my hands full with other aspects of my life.
Do not count me out just yet on the something new front.

Dec 17, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #7,211 of 88,594
I'd call that a feature: Nobody can ever be wrong or right, no matter what measurements may or may not suggest. It's as subjective as which music is good and which is not.

drftr
If you heard me sing you would know what is not good music.

Dec 17, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #7,212 of 88,594
Dec 17, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #7,214 of 88,594
I would consider it a learning process and after some decent brain burn in I might actually even like it and beg for moar!

drftr
If your brain could learn to enjoy fingernails scraping a chalk board you need my music.

Dec 17, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #7,215 of 88,594
If your brain could learn to enjoy fingernails scraping a chalk board you need my music.
I would still think it matters how you would apply it, really. You remember "scratching" from the early 80s, right? Scratching in itself sounds terrible. But when applied within a song it sounded really cool. So I'd say there's still hope for a breakthrough career.

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back