The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 16, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #70,681 of 91,357
Delivery! They turned out even better than the pictures could capture imo. Love it! They sound just as good as I remember from the universal 2 days ago. 🤪

IMG_7427.jpegIMG_7428.jpeg

Now I’m just waiting for the last piece:

IMG_7431.jpeg

Nov 16, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #70,682 of 91,357
Delivery! They turned out even better than the pictures could capture imo. Love it! They sound just as good as I remember from the universal 2 days ago. 🤪

IMG_7431.jpeg
🫠🤤

Nov 16, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #70,683 of 91,357
Bone conduction? I thought the foam would dampen it, at least for EE IEMs where conduction is passed through the tips. Have you tested with EE IEMs vs for example Final E?
I use foams on my UM Mext. Still get plenty bone conduction effect

Nov 16, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #70,684 of 91,357

IMG_7431.jpeg
Just received it and that many scratches already? :wink:

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #70,686 of 91,357
As far as I know UM bone conduction is passed through the shell of the IEM so tips wouldn't have much effect
I believe you're right and that the key is to get maximum insertion so that the shell is as close as possible to your concha without losing any seel.

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #70,687 of 91,357
Hey guys, my first look Campfire Audio Bonneville review is now online here. Enjoy!

Great insights man, thanks for sharing! Relative to the pro/audiophile and purist/subjectivist categories in the video shared earlier CFA definitely finds itself squarely in the latter two categories...which is likely why I'm so consistently drawn to their IEMs. I also appreciate that you didn't dwell on graphs in a "First Look" post-- this is how it should be imho. More focus on something sounds at first, and not on how it measures. Cheers.

Called the quattro, not to be confused with the famous sports sedan from Audi.

4.5mm custom dynamic driver for High frequency
8mm graphene diaphragm for Medium frequency
2 X10mm composite diaphragm for Low frequency

Impedance : 16 Ohm
Sensitivity: 100dB
Frequency response : 5-30kHz

The newest from Penon. This one should garner a lot of interest. 2x 10mm dynamics for bass my friends. Can't wait to check it out.

Awesome. Definitely keen to check this out.

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #70,689 of 91,357
Speaking of that universal - thanks to @aaf evo + UPS I got my universal Fei Wan here today.
IMG_0082.jpeg
Slapped on the Orpheus (my second Orpheus - I’ve officially crossed the cable madness Rubicon). Initially put on an early 90’s R&B playlist (Montell Jordan’s This Is How We Do It, Mark Morrison’s Return of the Mack + so on) and was treated to bassy bliss and a rich, almost tube-like presentation. And this was just on a hike with a BTR7. So far this is the closest I have had an IEM setup sound like my desktop setup (Rossini stack/Primavera tube amp/Abyss TC) at a smidgen of the price and teensy weensy bit of the weight). Good luck lugging that setup here:
FullSizeRender-compressed.jpeg
What I like about it is how it is not just quality bass - but bass that plays well with others. I kind of think of bass efficacy like what you would want out of an antibiotic. By that I mean it is really easy to kill bacteria - your $1.99 bottle of drug store bleach will kill damn near every microbe imaginable but the problem is that it obviously pretty toxic to healthy tissue too - so the trick is to find something that kills the baddies but plays nice with the bodies it‘s meant to treat. I’ve heard plenty of other sets where the bass either bleeds into or overwhelms the mids. But even with mid-centric music everything sounded quite right (yes, I put on a soft rock playlist - Streisand, Gordon Lightfoot and the like - chortle all you want but probably many of us here were conceived to this stuff!) You can have delicious DD bass and gorgeous mids. And the Orphy pairing - like PB + J - the sweetness balanced with the richness - I have heard Red Halo, MMR Thummim and Radon 6 and this is the best pairing yet I have heard. The last picture here shows Moku o Ole (Coconut Island) in the far distance (sorry it was overcast today). And Fei Wan gives the IEM equivalent holy grail that a UHF watching prepubescent kid would want - the Mary Ann face and the Ginger body!FullSizeRender(1)-compressed.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpeg
    IMG_0082.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0082.jpeg
    IMG_0082.jpeg
  • IMG_0082.jpeg
    IMG_0082.jpeg
Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #70,690 of 91,357
Speaking of that universal - thanks to @aaf evo + UPS I got my universal Fei Wan here today.
IMG_0082.jpeg
Slapped on the Orpheus (my second Orpheus - I’ve officially crossed the cable madness Rubicon). Initially put on an early 90’s R&B playlist (Montell Jordan’s This Is How We Do It, Mark Morrison’s Return of the Mack + so on) and was treated to bassy bliss and a rich, almost tube-like presentation. And this was just on a hike with a BTR7. So far this is the closest I have had an IEM setup sound like my desktop setup (Rossini stack/Primavera tube amp/Abyss TC) at a smidgen of the price and teensy wrench bit of the weight). Good luck lugging that setup here:
FullSizeRender-compressed.jpeg
What I like about it is how it is not just quality bass - but bass that plays well with others. I kind of think of bass efficacy like what you would want out of an antibiotic. By that I mean it is really easy to kill bacteria - your $1.99 bottle of drug store bleach will kill damn near every microbe imaginable but the problem is that it obviously pretty toxic to healthy tissue too - so the trick is to find something that kills the baddies but plays nice with the bodies its meant to treat. I’ve heard plenty of other sets where the bass either bleeds into or overwhelms the mids. But even with mid-centric music everything sounded quite right (yes, I put on a soft rock playlist - Streisand, Gordon Lightfoot and the like - chortle all you want but probably many of us here were conceived to this stuff!) You can have delicious DD bass and gorgeous mids. And the Orphy pairing - like PB + J - the sweetness balanced with the richness - I have heard Red Halo, MMR Thummim and Radon 6 and this is the best pairing yet I have heard. The last picture here shows Moku o Ole (Coconut Island) in the far distance (sorry it was overcast today). And Fei Wan gives the IEM equivalent holy grail that a UHF watching prepubescent kid would want - the Mary Ann face and the Ginger body!FullSizeRender(1)-compressed.jpeg
Your post make me want to speed up the time so I can pair it with my orphyS and MAS too 😭
Nice impression and nice picture too 👍

Nov 17, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #70,691 of 91,357
Apart from the obvious different material and pricing is there anything else to know versus the previous "mesh" IEM bags from other suppliers

Email from a wet shaving website offering 20% off Castle Forbes though so probably have to prioritise that first :p

I like leather and compartmentalizing my collection :). It's more of a quality of life upgrade no less!

received_670018748576602.jpeg

Nov 17, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #70,692 of 91,357
I like leather and compartmentalizing my collection :). It's more of a quality of life upgrade no less!

received_670018748576602.jpeg
Very nice Nate! Sometimes I feel that the quality of life upgrades excite me more then the contents! Just sometimes though!

Nov 17, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #70,693 of 91,357
Look no further than the Anni23 as a direct upgrade path with many similarities.
very interesting response considering you have mentor yourself yet still suggested annihilator. mind to share a bit on how mentor and anni23 are compared?
My $.02 is that Annihilator is not thin and in fact very smooth
oh i remember you from the tour forum. you received diva and annihilator recently right? do you mind to share how they are compared? (in general but also esp. in terms of female vocal ability and if annihilator worth the extra $$).

Nov 17, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #70,695 of 91,357
DMP-Z1 plus Orphy/FW + Substance reissue = good night! IMG_0091.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back