The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 6, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #691 of 88,372
Have you listened to them off any other source? I currently have an LG v60, Sony zx507, and an ifi hip DAC that I tend to use for IEMs depending on the context. Definitely not opposed to saving up for something else to make the best of the Isa, though.

No I haven't unfortunately. I've been spoiled by the M8 I think.

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #692 of 88,372
I took the Dorado 2020 on the road with me for a few hours this afternoon and listened to it for the first time after close to a week straight with Isabellae. Gone was the tonal perfection, tuneful sweetness and intimate reverie that I have come to love about the Isa-- but to make up for it the Dorado ushered me into a world more primitive and wild but addictively engaging, muscular, bombastic, soulful and fun...and ultimately no less satisfying.

Orilolus, Campfire and Vision Ears all seem to embody different shades of similar ideals reflected through their respective cultures. Each company uniquely embodies and reflects the ideal of visionary devoted craftsmen and each are equally dear to me.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #693 of 88,372
I took the Dorado 2020 on the road for me with a few hours this afternoon and listened to it for the first time after close to a week straight with Isabellae. Gone was the tonal perfection, tuneful sweetness and intimate reverie that I have come to love about the Isa-- but to make up for it the Dorado ushered into a world more primitive and wild but addictively engaging, muscular, bombastic, soulful and fun...and ultimately no less satisfying.

Orilolus, Campfire and Vision Ears all seem to embody different shades of similar ideals reflected through their respective cultures. Each company embodies the notion visionary devoted craftsmen in different ways that are all equally appealing to me.

It's 2021. The BA wars have ended. The DDs have made a triumphant return. ESTs are looming in the horizon. While planars... planars are still tripping over themselves and nobody uses them.

Jun 7, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #694 of 88,372
It's 2021. The BA wars have ended. The DDs have made a triumphant return. ESTs are looming in the horizon. While planars... planars are still tripping over themselves and nobody uses them.

Yup...I'm currently in the midst of a love affair with DD timbre...especially with respect to mids. Andromeda 2020 is so far the only BA IEM that's been able to satisfy me for any length of time. My top 1, 2 and 3 IEMs have 3, 2 and 1 drivers respectively...there's beauty in simplicity. I think my dream configuration at this point would be DD mids and lows with an e-stat for highs...I hope someone comes out with one at some point.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #695 of 88,372
Still my favourite single-BA IEM is the Prelude. It's the best I've heard for its kind. This one mad engineer from Turkey is obsessed with improving it even until now (a decade later). He's another devoted craftsman with a cool vision. Warbler has only one IEM in their lineup currently, Prelude and that's it :smiley: Everything is taken into account for each ear. The angle, distance length, even the surface material. All to create the best most natural sound possible for human hearing

I think my dream configuration at this point would be DD mids and lows with an e-stat for highs...I hope someone comes out with one at some point.
That'd be something I'm interested as well. But then the concern I think would be implementing the crossover, and blending them all together. With a single BA/DD the cohesion is very high, but comes with some deduction in reach and finesse. Inversely for multi drivers, I think their challenge is to solve the crossover problem, and create a more cohesive sound

That said, I think Vision Ears newer EVE21 might be using DD. They've been toying with the idea through the development of Ely and Meister. Excited to hear how it's going to turn out :)

Jun 7, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #696 of 88,372
Still my favourite single-BA IEM is the Prelude. It's the best I've heard for its kind. This one mad engineer from Turkey is obsessed with improving it even until now (a decade later). He's another devoted craftsman with a cool vision. Warbler has only one IEM in their lineup currently, Prelude and that's it :smiley: Everything is taken into account for each ear. The angle, distance length, even the surface material. All to create the best most natural sound possible for human hearing

That'd be something I'm interested as well. But then the concern I think would be implementing the crossover, and blending them all together. With a single BA/DD the cohesion is very high, but comes with some deduction in reach and finesse. Inversely for multi drivers, I think their challenge is to solve the crossover problem, and create a more cohesive sound

That said, I think Vision Ears newer EVE21 might be using DD. They've been toying with the idea through the development of Ely and Meister. Excited to hear how it's going to turn out :)

Does Warbler do unis or just customs? I've heard a few recommendations over the years and would be keen to try one...I'm not ready to commit to a custom though.

I really home EVE21 has a DD and it covers the lows and mids...if it's a standard DD lows, BA mids & highs I probably won't be that interested. Not that it won't be good it's just a function of where I'm at right now.

On a different note-- whereabouts in Japan do you live? I'm not sure I've mentioned this in this thread yet but I lived in Osaka for a year back in 2001. Back then summit fi was a pair of ¥15,000 earphones and a mini disc player.

Jun 7, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #697 of 88,372
Does Warbler do unis or just customs? I've heard a few recommendations over the years and would be keen to try one...I'm not ready to commit to a custom though.

I really home EVE21 has a DD and it covers the lows and mids...if it's a standard DD lows, BA mids & highs I probably won't be that interested. Not that it won't be good it's just a function of where I'm at right now.

On a different note-- whereabouts in Japan do you live? I'm not sure I've mentioned this in this thread yet but I lived in Osaka for a year back in 2001. Back then summit fi was a pair of ¥15,000 earphones and a mini disc player.
If you ask nicely, I think they can. But it won't be as good as custom. You can try messaging the engineer Tahsin @tsn141

The lows for Meister was pretty amazing back when I had it. But it had some driver flex which I didn't like so much
I'm now more excited to hear how the VE7 sounds, and try their newest BA tweeters :)

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I live near Tokyo, in the Saitama region. Never been to Osaka. How was it? I want to visit there someday, and hear their native accent

Jun 7, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #699 of 88,372
I visit Japan often (pre Covid) as my brother lives in Tokyo- Kichijoji area. The place is like a heaven on earth for us IEM enthusiasts.

Mobile top shelf audio is very strong in Japan in general, isn't it :) ?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 7, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #700 of 88,372
If you ask nicely, I think they can. But it won't be as good as custom. You can try messaging the engineer Tahsin @tsn141

The lows for Meister was pretty amazing back when I had it. But it had some driver flex which I didn't like so much
I'm now more excited to hear how the VE7 sounds, and try their newest BA tweeters :)

I'm excited by anything VE does by default...looking forward to your thoughts on the VE7.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I live near Tokyo, in the Saitama region. Never been to Osaka. How was it? I want to visit there someday, and hear their native accent

I loved it and hope to go back at some point. Osaka was nice but my personal highlight was Kyoto...I visited whenever I could.

I visit Japan often (pre Covid) as my brother lives in Tokyo- Kichijoji area. The place is like a heaven on earth for us IEM enthusiasts.

@Rockwell75 Osaka is amazing. Loved their cuisine and vibrant nightlife.

I still have friends there and last spring I had planned on hitting up CanJam Singapore and then heading over to Osaka for a week to visit...until Covid hit and ruined everything.

Mobile top shelf audio is very strong in Japan in general, isn't it :) ?

Very!

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #701 of 88,372
I lived in Osaka for a year back in 2001. Back then summit fi was a pair of ¥15,000 earphones and a mini disc player.
I'll emerge from lurking quietly on this thread - I'm very much enjoying everyone's posts, thank you - to say hello since I still have my minidiscs and a couple of players from my time in Japan. Here's one of them, an old Sony, which I've paired with my Massdrop Plus IEMs. I also use it with my Andro 2020, which makes for a nice, slightly warmer presentation. It's a pretty decent bit of kit for a consumer electronics - rather than an audiophile - device.

IMG_0128.jpeg

Osaka was nice but my personal highlight was Kyoto...I visited whenever I could.

That's funny - I was in Kyoto for a couple of years, just before you were in Osaka. I loved it there but also visited Osaka whenever I could!

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #702 of 88,372
I'll emerge from lurking quietly on this thread - I'm very much enjoying everyone's posts, thank you - to say hello since I still have my minidiscs and a couple of players from my time in Japan. Here's one of them, an old Sony, which I've paired with my Massdrop Plus IEMs. I also use it with my Andro 2020, which makes for a nice, slightly warmer presentation. It's a pretty decent bit of kit for a consumer electronics - rather than an audiophile - device.

IMG_0128.jpeg

Nice that really takes me back...it's really too bad that Minidiscs never took off in NA like they did in Japan. I bet those would hiss like a sumbeatch with Andro lol

That's funny - I was in Kyoto for a couple of years, just before you were in Osaka. I loved it there but also visited Osaka whenever I could!

Osaka was bustling, vibrant and engaging...but Kyoto was a sanctuary for me...walking the backroads of the city felt like transporting back in time. I at magic mushrooms once there and spent the day wandering Kyoto with a friend...it was actually an incredible experience. I got to visit Kyushu, Kobe (many times) and Hiroshima...oddly I never made it to Tokyo. I really want to go back and once the world gets itself together I might.

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #703 of 88,372
All this talk of Japan got me nostalgic...here are a few picture highlights of my trip:

Sunrise from the top of Fuji-san

0002_24.jpg

Osaka Castle

0003_22.jpg

Thatched roof houses in Kyushu

0007_19.jpg

Only building in the blast radius of the Hiroshima bomb

225608_8621830653_5115_n.jpg

Authentic geisha--- I was with a Kyoto native friend of mine and we were in a part of Kyoto where "fake Geishas" were not allowed so she is authentic.

230398_8621870653_4876_n.jpg

Thatched roof house somewhere on Kyushu

1933765_8621765653_8336_n.jpg

Me and one of my favorite classes!

0010_16.jpg

Jun 7, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #705 of 88,372
IMG-20210607-201309.jpg

Received my ZB-03 and Carbo Mezzo today
Vocals and bass on the Carbo Mezzo is amazing. It's probably my favourite sub $300 IEM right now, beating the previous holder 3DT especially in terms of naturalness
And it costs even less than $60
They're both quite similar in signature, but the Carbo Mezzo is smoother, warmer, more resolving, with larger sub-bass
It's like a mini Isa in a way but with bigger bass
The DD timbre is there, and vocals especially sounded natural
I wish someone could try this gem :) @Deezel177 maybe? Nostalgic good old days

Edited: They're = 'ZB-03' and 'Mezzo'

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back