The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 9, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #70,051 of 89,215
Thinking of cutting the cord for on-the-go listening and would love some feedback on everyone's favorite TWS and why. I know we touched on this recently but maybe you guys could help me come up with a short list of what to try (again with any help understanding over signatures...). Cheers
Hifiman svanar but I don’t do wireless, but I’ve heard great things about that one apparently it reaches sound quality of about a $200 wired Iem which is pretty good for a wireless

Nov 9, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #70,052 of 89,215
Also can a very high-end dap like Sony potentially be better than a standalone desktop dac like bifrost 2 with a laptop .. like which one would make the separate amplifiers sound better the dap or the dedicated dac?
Depends on the Listener's preference. I love my Sony but it is nothing like my desktop gear. Taking battery life of the DAP into consideration.... I would just seek a dedicated DAC...

Nov 9, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #70,053 of 89,215
And I bet you have tested most of the current $20-999 offerings, right?

I don't even know why I'm asking this, you surely must have tried at least 70% of these sets and only then chose this exact number of $1000 as the absolute highpass filter of goodness.

Hifiman svanar but I don’t do wireless, but I’ve heard great things about that one apparently it reaches sound quality of about a $200 wired Iem which is pretty good for a wireless
Noble Mystique

Nov 9, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #70,055 of 89,215
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #70,057 of 89,215
If I may… what is your (everyone here) favorite V-shaped IEM?
Z1R is my favorite. Don't think it's possible to dethrone it without serious R&D for that sound profile.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 9, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #70,058 of 89,215
Hum, Fir Kr5 for me, this type of target curve (V shaped). 😉

Nov 9, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #70,059 of 89,215
Depends on the Listener's preference. I love my Sony but it is nothing like my desktop gear. Taking battery life of the DAP into consideration.... I would just seek a dedicated DAC...
That’s what I’m trying to figure out will a super desktop set up scale my iems better than super portable set up and if so, by how much 🤔 maybe iems stop scaling at a certain point I would like to test the theory, but don’t want to spend all this money that I can’t get back. Lol.

Nov 9, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #70,060 of 89,215
Thinking of cutting the cord for on-the-go listening and would love some feedback on everyone's favorite TWS and why. I know we touched on this recently but maybe you guys could help me come up with a short list of what to try (again with any help understanding over signatures...). Cheers

I should add I value depth/staging/imaging along with good bass warmth over other characteristics...
Jabra Elite. For me, TWS is not for sound quality, I will take any wired IEMs with me for music. I used TWS only for audiobooks, podcast, and more importantly, talk hand-free. The most important attribute of TWS is stay in my ears securely. AirPod pro is more comfortable, but it may fall out if I am walking in an airport. Other TWS has better SQ, but again they has the same issue. For Jabra Elite, I can even jogging with it.

Nov 9, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #70,061 of 89,215
Nov 9, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #70,062 of 89,215
Jabra Elite. For me, TWS is not for sound quality, I will take any wired IEMs with me for music. I used TWS only for audiobooks, podcast, and more importantly, talk hand-free. The most important attribute of TWS is stay in my ears securely. AirPod pro is more comfortable, but it may fall out if I am walking in an airport. Other TWS has better SQ, but again they has the same issue. For Jabra Elite, I can even jogging with it.
I agree I use wireless for phone calls and podcast, but that is about it lol I would rather save my music for the good stuff

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #70,063 of 89,215
I can barely afford one TOTL at a time, let alone multiple so I tend to look for a "one to rule them all" as that's all I'll get for years at a time. Not to mention I don't have a single location where I can test drive anything and relying on others is a crapshoot, so it makes it easier if there is a clear king.
That is probably why the Watercooler may be the single best resource for potential buyers of IEMs that are discussed extensively here. We look at every IEM from a 360 degree point of view across multiple people with varying taste in music, across geographies and with high audio IQ. By understanding people's top 10 IEMs, you can triangulate impressions with people who seem to share your music genre or taste. You can get more data points by auditioning sets of your own and then making your choice. I think this is one of the reasons this particular forum is so popular.

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #70,064 of 89,215
Have Unique Melody said anything regarding how they achieved AP’s bass improvement over Mentor? I did notice AP didn’t have any vent in the shell unless my eyes deceived me, I wonder if the fully sealed IEM is contributing to the superior bass quality.
I didn't ask. We should ask Leo. He was really knowledgeable of the tech behind Mentor. I am sure he knows why AP does its thing.

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #70,065 of 89,215
Well, portability doesn’t really matter when it comes to me getting a standalone amplifier it’s going to be on my desk anyway.. for portability I just plug straight into the dap but I’m wondering for iems will getting a huge standalone amp like a violetric 550 make a big difference or can iems only scale so much
IEMs scale pretty well with certain Desktop Amps/ DAC/Amps.. I use a TEAC UD-505 and a CMA Twelve Master with my IEMs a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back