The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 9, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #70,036 of 89,167
Allarounder is great but what iems did you choose?
For instance, see in my signature, second set (big bold sound ...).

It works incredibly well. Really. Any prices.

For the cable ? Effect Audio Eros S (my own cable is an absolute rarity... šŸ˜ž) ?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #70,037 of 89,167
64 Audio A18t is my daily driver and go-to iem. And I've Fatfreq MSE for variety. MSE has a very good quality sub-bass and one that doesn't overshadow the mids/highs.

I use itsfitlab fusion for watching movies on my Macbook Pro

As far as DAPS go: Cayin N30LE, Sony WM1Z (with k-mod & mr.walkman's firmware mod) & Sony WM1AM2

Nov 9, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #70,038 of 89,167
For a quick random question would getting a violetric v550 And connecting it to my Sony dap scale even more potential out of my iems or will the Sony dap on its own be a better option and Iā€™m just wasting money getting a crazy amp ??
Why don't you try the Masskobo 475 + Brise Audio IC for the Sony DAP as a portable source for your IEMs instead?

Nov 9, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #70,039 of 89,167
I try to keep it to 2-3 IEMs. As for cables usually stick with stock, but Iā€™m not opposed to upgrading if thereā€™s the option from the OEM. Why mess with the original vision of the artist? Odyssey is the only IEM that made me want to not use the stock cable (And itā€™s defective anyway)
"Original vision of the artist": this is actually also a (major) reason why I don't want to use any cables other than stock.

Nothing about luck (well... The Ares S Founders Edition is the exception šŸ˜…)...

I have owned, auditioned, tested so many things ... Every prices, technologies. I don't know how many exactly... šŸ˜­šŸ˜‚

And there are plenty of other things than audio hardware here šŸ˜‰ :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-are-you-listening-to-right-now.253245/page-8642#post-17810478

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/post-your-photography-here-2.256063/page-1036#post-17810206

Etc šŸ˜€šŸ‘
Well, luck is in the fact that you finally managed to find your endgame. I like looking at it, I'm curious now, I value your posts a lot so I want to understand it.

Allarounder is great but what iems did you choose?
If I had to choose just one IEM now, it would be Mentor. Carefully speaking, I might even consider it my "endgame". It's the only IEM where I still haven't discovered anything really problematic after so long.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #70,040 of 89,167
Why don't you try the Masskobo 475 + Brise Audio IC for the Sony DAP as a portable source for your IEMs instead?
Well, portability doesnā€™t really matter when it comes to me getting a standalone amplifier itā€™s going to be on my desk anyway.. for portability I just plug straight into the dap but Iā€™m wondering for iems will getting a huge standalone amp like a violetric 550 make a big difference or can iems only scale so much

Nov 9, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #70,041 of 89,167
For instance, see in my signature, second set (big bold sound ...).

It works incredibly well. Really. Any prices.

For the cable ? Effect Audio Eros S (my own cable is an absolute rarity... šŸ˜ž) ?
Of course I checked, I always check the signature. Mine will be there too when I get the sets I chose.

Nov 9, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #70,042 of 89,167
Well, portability doesnā€™t really matter when it comes to me getting a standalone amplifier itā€™s going to be on my desk anyway.. for portability I just plug straight into the dap but Iā€™m wondering for iems will getting a huge standalone amp like a violetric 550 make a big difference or can iems only scale so much
I think you should write to a few manufacturers and get their input on this subject.

Cayin introduced a desktop tube amp last year or maybe early this year, which they claim is great with IEMs and Headphones alike.

Nov 9, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #70,043 of 89,167
I have a Gustard X & H 16 as my desktop and my IEMs definitely sound much better with Hiby RS6 + AK 10 PA.

Nov 9, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #70,044 of 89,167
I have a Gustard X & H 16 as my desktop and my IEMs definitely sound much better with Hiby RS6 + AK 10 PA.
Hmmm interesting

Nov 9, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #70,045 of 89,167
Remember it's not just the IEM, gotta match the DAP and Cable as well. Makes finding the "right" one so much harder, if even possible.
You made me almost thought you are drifter, if not for your signature showing different gears.

Nov 9, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #70,046 of 89,167
If I mayā€¦ what is your (everyone here) favorite V-shaped IEM?

Nov 9, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #70,048 of 89,167
For a quick random question would getting a violetric v550 And connecting it to my Sony dap scale even more potential out of my iems or will the Sony dap on its own be a better option and Iā€™m just wasting money getting a crazy amp ??
I can't say for certain but I tried a Violectric Amp for the first time at CanJam SoCal... I thought the DHA 226 was lovely. The v550 was present but occupied. The Etymotic/Westone booth had them.. based off the sound the Chord Qutest and DHA 226 produced ... I'd believe the pairing with the ZM2 would be euphoric..

Nov 9, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #70,049 of 89,167
Thinking of cutting the cord for on-the-go listening and would love some feedback on everyone's favorite TWS and why. I know we touched on this recently but maybe you guys could help me come up with a short list of what to try (again with any help understanding over signatures...). Cheers

I should add I value depth/staging/imaging along with good bass warmth over other characteristics...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back