The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 28, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #68,732 of 89,342
Oct 28, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #68,733 of 89,342
This is, without a doubt, the biggest DAP I've ever seen!

Screen Shot 2023-10-28 at 12.33.49 AM.png

http://www.soundaware.net/productinfo/623354.html

Or alternatively, that's the smallest HD 800S I've ever seen.

Oct 28, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #68,734 of 89,342
IMG_8527.jpeg

Morning listening time with Thieaudio Prestige LTD and RU7 as I was just too lazy tto switch on my N7 and C9 :)

The Prestige LTD mostly flew under the radar as they are often out of stock and not many people had a chance to hear them. However, they do sound utterly fantastic and they may be a perfect all arounder under 1500USD.

The most notable characteristics are the balance of the sound, all the details still delivered in a smooth way and the incredible soundstage. The soundstage and imaging are really amazing with a 3D holographic feeling. Timbre is spot on and bass is punchy, full but well controlled.

Personally I like them more than Traillii which I sold (IMO, to my ears, for my preferences etc etc.)

They are also not big for todays IEM standards and pretty comfortable.

Two caveats: They require a little bit more juice than other iems (nothing major as even a dongle like ru7 in high gain can drive them around 50/55 volume high gain balanced). They also need some burn in for the DD to settle - around 150hrs.
I advice to give them a shot if anyone is looking for an all arounder in the 1500USD range and I’m looking forward to compare them with the Bonneville that should arrive next week.

In the picture, the new album Genesys by Anyma. Fantastic album if you are into EDM

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #68,735 of 89,342
And i thought that Android is down sampling music over USB output only?

My Tidal app is showing sampling rates of 192Khz, both with iBasso and Cayin DAP.
Android resamples music over all outputs by default.

Can't speak for iBasso but Cayin definitely benefits from HiBy's DTA (Direct Transport Architecture) as present in HiBy and affiliates' Android DAPs since the original R6. Even so, bitperfect for USB output has only been realized since last year or so. (without the cooperation of the player app, I mean. Otherwise we can point to UAPP etc. as longstanding works in this area)

Of course, usually only USB DACs would prominently display the sample rate, unless it were something the smartphone / DAP manufacturer were proud of (having preserved the original, e.g. on the HiBy Android R DAPs, we display the output sample rate on the notification shade. Of course, this leads to extra support costs, when the number is not what's expected (whether because the system is not functioning as expected, or because the user's expectations are incorrect, as e.g. may happen with MQA).

To be honest, Android resampling is meant to be a transparent process and I guess it's a good thing for people when it happens and people are unaware of it--it's being transparent!

But, if you want to bypass it, and know that it's being bypassed, HiBy and affiliates have got your back.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 28, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #68,737 of 89,342
This is a new brand for me called SWEEAR. They are from Hong Kong, and this review is on their flagship tribrid, called the SR11.

I had an open mind on this unit and came away impressed with the tuning. It just needs a bit more personality on the outside to grab someone's attention when browsing their web site or a retail shelf.

https://headfonics.com/sweear-sr11-review/

1698484049603.png

Oct 28, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #68,738 of 89,342
Android resamples music over all outputs by default.

Can't speak for iBasso but Cayin definitely benefits from HiBy's DTA (Direct Transport Architecture) as present in HiBy and affiliates' Android DAPs since the original R6. Even so, bitperfect for USB output has only been realized since last year or so. (without the cooperation of the player app, I mean. Otherwise we can point to UAPP etc. as longstanding works in this area)

Of course, usually only USB DACs would prominently display the sample rate, unless it were something the smartphone / DAP manufacturer were proud of (having preserved the original, e.g. on the HiBy Android R DAPs, we display the output sample rate on the notification shade. Of course, this leads to extra support costs, when the number is not what's expected (whether because the system is not functioning as expected, or because the user's expectations are incorrect, as e.g. may happen with MQA).

To be honest, Android resampling is meant to be a transparent process and I guess it's a good thing for people when it happens and people are unaware of it--it's being transparent!

But, if you want to bypass it, and know that it's being bypassed, HiBy and affiliates have got your back.

Hope that helps!
As far as I remember iBasso were the first ones to implement bypassing of Android downsampling.

Oct 28, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #68,739 of 89,342
I mean Android 14 is finally doing some development for Bitperfect Audio on the OS level. They haven't quite reached the end goal but it should help developers reduce their efforts in development time to implement this in the future.

Lossless USB audio

Android 14 gains support for lossless audio formats for audiophile-level experiences over USB wired headsets. You can query a USB device for its preferred mixer attributes, register a listener for changes in preferred mixer attributes, and configure mixer attributes using a new AudioMixerAttributes class. It represents the format, such as channel mask, sample rate, and behavior of the audio mixer. The class allows for audio to be sent directly, without mixing, volume adjustment, or processing effects. We are working with our OEM partners to enable this feature in devices later this year.

Oct 28, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #68,740 of 89,342
Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Oct 28, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #68,741 of 89,342
And this is why I have zero desire to try any AuR IEM. I know these polls are just for fun but man this rubs me the wrong way on so many levels and it is quite shameless.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, so many of these AuR posts I’ve seen have come off slightly disingenuous to me almost as if they’re more like promotion posts rather than anything else. I don’t mean any disrespect to anyone who enjoys their IEMs, I am sorry, it’s just how it’s always felt.
Firstly, I would like to say I personally really enjoy Aur EIMs and I find them great quality and Abel's tuning is excellent. That being said, the exercise in promotion that is being talked about here is a perfect way to totally ruin any of the tattered reputation the company may have left. Which is a shame. Why oh why can't people do what they should do, i.e. making and posting sets to people who wish to buy them. Basically, stop screwing up your own company. :slight_frown:

Oct 28, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #68,742 of 89,342
Hello everyone-- @Andrew DiMarcangelo has offered to provide me with an Eletech Purgatorio cable for tour. This is a headphone cable and not an IEM cable and since we are by definition interested mostly in IEMs I'm trying to get a sense of whether or not there is sufficient interest in our tour community. If I could get ten or so interested parties I feel it would be worth it.

Any takers?
Definitely interested. Impressive looking cable.
miniXLR to XLR but with adapters for 3.5 headphone and 4.4mm termination.
This works! 🙏🏻

Oct 28, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #68,743 of 89,342
Congrats!

Ja, they're SpiralDots like but way more supple like everything else that @Eric Chong ET makes 🤭 Perfect with VE EXTs

Large are ok keeping my XE6 in place though I could use XLs for my "earchunnels" 🛤️
Perfect for EXT in terms of comfort or sound?
I'm awaiting the spiral dots++ and wonder how they compare to the ETs. I planing to buy these too, but they aren't available in germany jet.

Oct 28, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #68,744 of 89,342
Congrats!

Perfect for EXT in terms of comfort or sound?
I'm awaiting the spiral dots++ and wonder how they compare to the ETs. I planing to buy these too, but they aren't available in germany jet.
I can chime in on this from my perspective as I have both and have used both on EXT. You are still in good company with the Spiral dot ++, I find them better than the ET's for my preference. They are more comfortable and the material seems to disappear in my ear better and create a better seal. The ET's seem to make the treble brighter but something in the bass is missing, overall I find Spiral Dot++ are still the best fit for EXT. The ET's work better on Empire Ears IEM's from my experimenting.

You can also buy the ET's from MTMT audio who ship everywhere, they are very good and delivery times are usually less than a week.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back