The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 3, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #65,506 of 89,312
Did anyone see this btw?

First concert in the Sphere. Amazing stuff.

With a fellow Dutchie drummer... "Brem".. I loved his response during the concert...

Oct 3, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #65,507 of 89,312
Hmm interesting....while Aura is undoubtly a highly resolving set (I mean it is a doppelganger PLE so it has to be resolving), it is nowhere near the clarity of the Annihilator especially due to its brighter tuning and emphasised treble. Not to mention Annihilator's superior soundstage and imaging. YMMV of course.

The Annihilator does need a stupid amount of power to drive and shine though. Probably the most power hungry IEM next to the DC Ti. For Aura I am on like 25 on Low Gain on my N30LE :joy:
I’m literally holding both of them going back-and-forth the entire day it’s not even close aura is way more resolving. Trust me I Wish I could sell aura and keep the cheaper better Iem but that is just not the case

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #65,508 of 89,312
I’m sorry, but you are just not correct on this. I’m literally holding both of them going back-and-forth the entire day it’s not even close aura is way more resolving
I did the exact same thing for a few days. We agree to disagree :smile:

Oct 3, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #65,509 of 89,312
I did the exact same thing for a few days. We agree to disagree :smile:
What exactly are you A/B ? Aura or Phoenix LE? I’m sorry, but you can’t just go off of assumption that it is a doppelgänger

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #65,510 of 89,312
What exactly are you A/B ? Aura or Phoenix LE?
I loaned the Aura from my friend at the local audio shop that I usually go to and I A/Bed it with all of my IEM lineup back then (Anni2023, PLE, EXT, Rn6). As mentioned a while back when I posted my Aura impressions, I appreciated the Aura as a DD PLE but the small quirks that I have with it, namely average subbass, lower sound density, mids being more recessed, and female vocals being a bit too edgy (all compared to PLE) made me pass on it.

I commented that a lot of people will enjoy Aura much more than the PLE because of the DD, and seems like you are one of them, which is great! Now, I find the Annihilator to be more resolving because it is easier for me to pick up minute details due to the emphasised treble, whereas Aura's midbass coupled with a less emphasised treble could sometimes hinder the perception of detail - at least that is the case for me, where I need to focus more to pick up small details. It is not that the Aura is not resolving, it is just that it is easier for me to notice details with the Anni. Staging for me is even less of a competition - Aura has a staging size similar to PLE (so average at best compared to something like the DC Ti, Traillii, Viking Damascus, Jewel, etc.) and both IEM's stage sizes are smaller than the Anni.

Lastly, there is no need to make snide remarks that expense is a consideration for me, or that I am not using appropriate equipment. If I hear something better than my current lineup, I will replace it without a blink. I am privilaged to hear quite a lot of gear due to the abundance of demo units in Hong Kong, and I do change my gear quite frequently due to this. I enjoy sharing my listening experience here even tho I am aware of the fact that I am the minority here in terms of sonic preferences. We hear things differently, and that is completely fine:relaxed:

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #65,511 of 89,312
I loaned the Aura from my friend at the local audio shop that I usually go to and I A/Bed it with all of my IEM lineup back then (Anni2023, PLE, EXT, Rn6). As mentioned a while back when I posted my Aura impressions, I appreciated the Aura as a DD PLE but the small quirks that I have with it, namely average subbass, lower sound density, mids being more recessed, and female vocals being a bit too edgy (all compared to PLE) made me pass on it.

I commented that a lot of people will enjoy Aura much more than the PLE because of the DD, and seems like you are one of them, which is great! Now, I find the Annihilator to be more resolving because it is easier for me to pick up minute details due to the emphasised treble, whereas Aura's midbass coupled with a less emphasised treble could sometimes hinder the perception of detail - at least that is the case for me, where I need to focus more to pick up small details. It is not that the Aura is not resolving, it is just that it is easier for me to notice details with the Anni. Staging for me is even less of a competition - Aura has a staging size similar to PLE (so average at best compared to something like the DC Ti, Traillii, Viking Damascus, Jewel, etc.) and both IEM's stage sizes are smaller than the Anni.

Lastly, there is no need to make snide remarks that expense is a consideration for me, or that I am not using appropriate equipment. If I hear something better than my current lineup, I will replace it without a blink. I am privilaged to hear quite a lot of gear due to the abundance of demo units in Hong Kong, and I do change my gear quite frequently due to this. I enjoy sharing my listening experience here even tho I am aware of the fact that I am the minority here in terms of sonic preferences. We hear things differently, and that is completely fine:relaxed:

Did not mean to come off rude just expressing my findings 😉 it’s just obvious to me and I feel like the wrong narrative is being pushed on aura .. funny how our findings are so much different but ears can be funny man lol

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #65,512 of 89,312
Did not mean to come off rude just expressing my findings 😉 it’s just obvious to me and I feel like the wrong narrative is being pushed on which is better .. funny how our findings are so much different but ears can be funny man lol
Don't worry about it, no offense taken. Also since both have completely different tunings I'd struggle to call one "better" than the other, at least in an overall sense. Now if you say the Storm is better than the Jewel as a reference monitor then I would agree lol.

That being said, I'll go and audition the Aura again to check out your observations. That is part of the fun of this hobby for me anyway - to try and understand others' perspectives and maybe discover something new and enjoyable.

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #65,513 of 89,312
Don't worry about it, no offense taken. Also since both have completely different tunings I'd struggle to call one "better" than the other, at least in an overall sense. Now if you say the Storm is better than the Jewel as a reference monitor then I would agree lol.

That being said, I'll go and audition the Aura again to check out your observations. That is part of the fun of this hobby for me anyway - to try and understand others' perspectives and maybe discover something new and enjoyable.
Yeah, better is completely preference. I agree but in terms of clarity and resolution is what I meant. But it also is just overall an improvement in many aspects except maybe soundstage or treble but in terms of being able to see the music more vivid and clear as a bell aura was way ahead of annihilator to me Also, in terms of timbre the aura is just more pleasing to listen to imo

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #65,514 of 89,312
I’m sorry, but you are just not correct on this.
The new motto of headfi

And I tell you that you're not correct either because VE house sound isn't my preference and no I havent heard itttttt 🤣

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #65,515 of 89,312
The new motto of headfi

And I tell you that you're not correct either because VE house sound isn't my preference and no I havent heard itttttt 🤣
Yayaya I get it haha it just seemed very obvious to me the aura was on another level didn’t mean to come out like that 😅

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #65,516 of 89,312
Yeah, better is completely preference. I agree but in terms of clarity and resolution is what I meant. But it also is just overall an improvement in many aspects except maybe soundstage or treble but in terms of being able to see the music more vivid and clear as a bell aura was way ahead of annihilator to me Also, in terms of timbre the aura is just more pleasing to listen to imo
I think I see where you are coming from, because I also agree that Aura's timbre is more pleasing, and overall is just a more musical experience. I'd also say that Aura's bass is better than the Anni - both are relatively lacking in subbass but Aura's bass is more visceral and textured, Anni's bass is just dry and quite average for a DD.

Also just to add on to the discussion, I am now considering purchasing the Fitear DC Ti or the Creator (universal DC Ti). Jaben HK told me that The Creator is to arrive late December and DC Ti takes 3 months on average to make, so I am leaning towards waiting for the universal. DC Ti is probably the closest to a full HP experience I have heard from an IEM with an outrageously large soundstage and precise imaging. Bass is one of the best I have heard and overall it is probably the best musical all rounder for me suitable for all genres.

Also tried the Fitear Titan - fantastic for instrumentals but vocals are sibilant, which ultimately was the dealbreaker.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #65,517 of 89,312
I think I see where you are coming from, because I also agree that Aura's timbre is more pleasing, and overall is just a more musical experience. I'd also say that Aura's bass is better than the Anni - both are relatively lacking in subbass but Aura's bass is more visceral and textured, Anni's bass is just dry and quite average for a DD.

Also just to add on to the discussion, I am now considering purchasing the Fitear DC Ti or the Creator (universal DC Ti). Jaben HK told me that The Creator is to arrive late December and DC Ti takes 3 months on average to make, so I am leaning towards waiting for the universal. DC Ti is probably the closest to a full HP experience I have heard from an IEM with an outrageously large soundstage and precise imaging. Bass is one of the best I have heard and overall it is probably the best musical all rounder for me suitable for all genres.

Also tried the Fitear Titan - fantastic for instrumentals but vocals are sibilant, which ultimately was the dealbreaker.
I’m continuing to listen and the mid range clarity of aura is just ahead of anni I don’t know how to explain it. It just sounds more real/clear/vivid . Maybe we have a different idea of resolution but yeah you’re definitely right about the bass .. the treble seems to be a little more smooth up top with the annihilator, and the sound stage is a little wider But everything else feels lacking on anni compared to aura

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #65,518 of 89,312

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #65,520 of 89,312
So who's actually spent some quality time with the Fei Wan? What sound signature to expect with this one?
Good question I’m very curious about this one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back