The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 28, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #63,691 of 91,358
Hey guys! Here's my review of Kinera's flagship - Imperal Loki Emerald (international tuning) that has an impressive 1DD+6BA+4EST+1 Bone Conduction driver quad-brid configuration. Read on to know what I think. There's a separate page just for comparisons with a multitude of popular IEMs in there. If you want more comparisons with any particular IEM, let me know and I'll see if I have them or can get my hands on them. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #63,692 of 91,358
Hey guys! Here's my review of Kinera's flagship - Imperal Loki Emerald (international tuning) that has an impressive 1DD+6BA+4EST+1 Bone Conduction driver quad-brid configuration. Read on to know what I think. There's a separate page just for comparisons with a multitude of popular IEMs in there. If you want more comparisons with any particular IEM, let me know and I'll see if I have them or can get my hands on them. Enjoy!

Thank you for this review, they look damn nice 🤤.

Wish I could a/b them with the upcoming EE Raven. With the name “loki” its not hard to think where they got inspiration from.

Aug 28, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #63,693 of 91,358
Delighted to hear you are enjoying - it was a difficult decision for me to part with it and glad gone to a good home!

Diva 23 currently tempting me, and M9 Plus getting my attention now too… just when you think you are out…
...they pull you back in!

just-when-i-thought-i-was-out-they-pull-me-back-in.gif

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #63,694 of 91,358
I'm late to the party but now I had the chance to take a photo of my precious :)

I owned several "Stereo Cassette Players" in the 80s and later a portable Disc-Player. I never had the original Walkman. Then I was an early adopter when the music world changed to MP3 and immediately bought the Rio PMP300 when it became available here in 1999/2000. One of the first (or even the first?) hardware MP3 players.

I'm not a collector of anything and quickly get rid of stuff I don't need anymore (only regretted selling my Commodore 64...) but for some reason I kept the Rio and it rested unused for nearly 20 years since it was replaced by one of the first iPods.

I put a battery in ... and it worked right away! My songs from then still play (memories....), even the expansion card still works! Only the display looks strange but still readable.

This thing was such a gem for me as I was finally able to listen to music while running without skips and other problems you had with a discman or walkman.

It drives my Mentor plenty loud... and it sounds terrible 🤣

1693255673998.png

Aug 28, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #63,695 of 91,358
I'm late to the party but now I had the chance to take a photo of my precious :)

I owned several "Stereo Cassette Players" in the 80s and later a portable Disc-Player. I never had the original Walkman. Then I was an early adopter when the music world changed to MP3 and immediately bought the Rio PMP300 when it became available here in 1999/2000. One of the first (or even the first?) hardware MP3 players.

I'm not a collector of anything and quickly get rid of stuff I don't need anymore (only regretted selling my Commodore 64...) but for some reason I kept the Rio and it rested unused for nearly 20 years since it was replaced by one of the first iPods.

I put a battery in ... and it worked right away! My songs from then still play (memories....), even the expansion card still works! Only the display looks strange but still readable.

This thing was such a gem for me as I was finally able to listen to music while running without skips and other problems you had with a discman or walkman.

It drives my Mentor plenty loud... and it sounds terrible 🤣

1693255673998.png
Was also my first.

Aug 28, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #63,697 of 91,358
Bass: Xe6
Mids: Phonix
Treble: Ronin

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #63,698 of 91,358
Anyone care to name their favorite transparent monitors? I say a monitor is transparent when it disappears and only the music remains, it's an effortless yet high fidelity presentation with supreme clarity and seamless driver cohesion if a hybrid and good balance so nothing jumps out of line. The best example I can think of is Jewel then maybe vision ears EXT. It could be said this is more of a reference sound. Monitors can be TOTL but not transparent, a good example for me would be the Mentor, spectacular but was always "there" so to speak, reminding me it was there. I've realized this is the sound I like most, most of the time with something very different like Fir offerings thrown in for variety and am looking for more TOTL monitors that have this transparent sound. I'm hyped to hear the Annihilator 2023 as I think it could be this way.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #63,699 of 91,358

Jaben Singapore has reached out to Kinera in respect of the colour schemes of the Loki for the international market. Their reply is that there are 2 colour schemes released for the international market. But both sound the same. :)

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #63,700 of 91,358
Anyone care to name their favorite transparent monitors? I say a monitor is transparent when it disappears and only the music remains, it's an effortless yet high fidelity presentation with supreme clarity and seamless driver cohesion if a hybrid and good balance so nothing jumps out of line. The best example I can think of is Jewel then maybe vision ears EXT. It could be said this is more of a reference sound. Monitors can be TOTL but not transparent, a good example for me would be the Mentor, spectacular but was always "there" so to speak, reminding me it was there. I've realized this is the sound I like most, most of the time with something very different like Fir offerings thrown in for variety and am looking for more TOTL monitors that have this transparent sound. I'm hyped to hear the Annihilator 2023 as I think it could be this way.

Traillii, Storm, Phonix LE, Rn6, the u12t to some degree. I agree that this implies sort of a reference sound. EXT is an interesting choice here.

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #63,702 of 91,358

In terms of sheer transparency I’m not sure I’ve heard it done better than the Storm.

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #63,703 of 91,358
Symphonium Helios is pretty transparent. It’s almost “faceless”

Edit: shameless plug: my review of Helios on head-fi

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #63,705 of 91,358
Traillii, Storm, Phonix LE, Rn6, the u12t to some degree. I agree that this implies sort of a reference sound. EXT is an interesting choice here.
Ragnar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back