The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 20, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #61,636 of 91,264
Just finishing up the Penon 10th Anniversary Commemorative Model 2DD/2BA/2EST review. I should have it posted in the review section July 21st?
2.jpeg33.jpeg
DSC_0432.jpegdd.jpeg

Here is an excerpt:
DSC_0478.jpegqwerty.jpeg

IEM side-by-side comparisons:
This is where we challenge personal memory, and often a new reality is discovered. Here to try and equalize everything I’m using the Sony WM1Z, the Penon OSG Cable and the same ear-tips (except the IER-Z1R) on my favorite IEMs. Left to right top row the Penon Volt, Nobel Audio K-10 Encore and the ISN EST50. Bottom row left to right is the Penon Globe, the 10th and the Sony IER-Z1R.

Penon Volt, 4 Electrostatic, 2BA and 1DD-$799.00
Nobel Audio Kaiser 10 Encore, 10BA-$1850.00
ISN EST50, 2 Electrostatic, 2BA and 1DD-$449.00
Penon Globe, 2BA and 1DD-329.00
Penon 10th Anniversary, 2BA, 2 Electrostatic and 2DD-$499.00

Sony IER-Z1R, 1BA and 2DD-$1698.00

The Penon Volt v the 10th Anniversary:

Starting out many may be on the fence (already having the Volt) and wondering just how different it is from the 10th Anniversary and if it is a valid purchase offering any differences? With the weight of the Volt being 6 grams and the 10th 4 grams there is little difference there. And while the Volt is a smidge wider, the 10th is taller. The nozzle-ends of the 10th are a hair larger in circumference. Part of this may be that you can see the actual sound tubes inside the 10th, where the slightly smaller Volt nozzle uses the resin for the very end of one of sound tubes, and filters making-up the other two. Also the nozzle ends of the 10th have a slightly larger tip holder, being thicker. The OSG Cable really dials in the Volt adding an unexpected additive to the bass, making it really good. While in so many ways the Volt is the opposite of the 10th, especially with how it does strings. Yep, midrange strings are more illustrated and worked-out with the Volt. I can even go ahead and call the strings more real. Volt vocals are also bigger and hold that aspect of real-life that the 10th can’t quite get too. The 10th bass is a little more forward and at the same time sculpted. 10th’s vocals are less detailed but the upper midrange/lower treble takes and adds clarity where that was always one lacking area of the Volt. The 10th is cleaner and while offering a more stripped down midrange approach, it has way more contrast in the end.

The Nobel Audio K-10 Encore v the 10th Anniversary:
The K-10 Encore goes ahead and also improves in the bass department with the Penon OSG cable. Blacker background and wider clarity on offer. Still the very different aspect would be the treble shelf of which Encore almost goes into the no-go-zone……..just right at the edge. Yet inside of that experience we are gifted with a giant soundstage, a bigger upper midrange event, than the 10th ever hoped to achieve. Still after spending a week with the 10th as my main focus, the Encore comes off steely and of a metallic tinge, not that that was something new to me, it’s just the better timbral accuracy of the Penon 10th shows once again a warmer more inviting style of brightness. In all truth the Encore does better with OCC cables, or a cable like the Obsidian, yet we can still judge both the IEMs together here.

The ISN EST50 v the 10th Anniversary:
The Penon OSG cable happens to be one of my most favorite cables with the EST50, if not the single all time favorite? And this is a rewarding comparison being just like the Volt, the EST50 shares some DNA with the 10th Anniversary. Where in many ways the 10th is a more complete tune with less marginal drawbacks (technically speaking) than the Volt……….still the moment you hear the Volts midrange you stop for a second, you stop to smell the roses. To bass heads the EST50s low end may do the same, to stop them dead in their tracks. As the EST50’s bass is just that much more, more in size yet slightly slower, but more forward. Now here is the confusing part, the OSG does a number to the ISN EST50 vocals making them more vivid, and really I can’t find any fault like I was planning to. :) Still as far as midrange and treble the 10th comes off more brisk. A shade more vibrant and harmonically complex than the EST50, where I really think this was the goal for Penon designers, to find a wider form of entertainment in the midrange and treble from the EST50, and they succeeded. IMO

The Penon Globe v the 10th Anniversary:
For many the Globe just won’t go away. Meaning at the price and age of it you would think it would have been passed by or bettered by todays ideas of IEM playback. And I know this is getting old, but the OSG is again the best cable to hear with the Globe playback. IMO, I mean if cables make a change and breath new life into an IEM, why not use them. Here is almost perfect balance and vividness in playback, but not quite as large as what the 10th has going on. Less parts inside the little Globe. But less parts also means there is a chance of less congestion, a cleaner truer to life and calmer idea of playback. Obviously the bass doesn’t go as visceral and as showy as what we have daily with the 10th. The Globe is way smaller than the 10th, and while not quite as up-front with midrange and treble-textures and authority. Still the over-all stance is still commendable, as the Globe is simply doing what it does……..and I love it!

The IER-Z1R v the 10th Anniversary:
I had to change ear-tips to get fitment, yet all else is the same. Bigger bass than the 10th, more forward, wide and and tall, also slightly better details inside that. Yet when you start to compare price, well……..IER vocals are better in that they are more delineated and find themselves surrounded by more real instrumentation, but not as much as you would think by the price difference. Three drivers in the Sony compared to the six in the 10th, and this singular more focused playback of less drivers, shows a style of clarity and realness that’s difficult to fight with. Still once you take that away there are actually many traits the two hold in common, as the 10th is the closest Penon has ever come to replay of the Sony house sound.

DSC_0442.jpegd3.jpeg

Thanks for taking the time to read. Cheers!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #61,637 of 91,264
One of the best rig ever heard🥺🤩
I’ve got a problem now, ‘cause RN6 is on loan only😭

IMG_7060.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #61,638 of 91,264
It just dawned me that we have not yet done our seasonal Top 3 IEMs owning your heart at this moment, so without futher ado:

1) Singularity
2) Rn6
3) Trifecta
  1. Rn6
  2. Mentor
  3. 634ears 9iNE
Neon Pro would be in the #3 spot but alas I couldn't jive with the fit and that ended up being a deal breaker for me. There's over $3k in price difference between Rn6 and 9iNE and yet I still enjoy whatever I'm listening to just as much on 9iNE as I do Rn6. A wildly different experience to be sure, they're miles apart technically, but there's just something romantic, rich and comforting about 9iNE's bassy, lush single DD signature.

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #61,639 of 91,264
I really like R6 pro Gen2 and it’s the best sounding dap under 1000$ ever heard, it has a great shape, very light and pocketable, I liked a lot display and UI also.
Ragnar is another great IEM, but I much prefer RN6 tuning.
IMG_7009.jpeg
IMG_7008.jpeg
IMG_7006.jpeg

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #61,640 of 91,264
3 -> This classic does not leave me. Perfect tonality, warm bass, with high mids and highs in the right measure. Not the best technically, but who cares if the rest is as good...

A wildly different experience to be sure, they're miles apart technically, but there's just something romantic, rich and comforting about 9iNE's bassy, lush single DD signature.

The joys of a single DD...! Hard to express and difficult to ignore.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #61,641 of 91,264
1. AüR Neon Pro
2. Penon 10th Anniversary
3. IMR Rah 2023

Jul 20, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #61,642 of 91,264
I am not a cable person. I either use the stock cables, or modify one of the cables that I have for the HP that I got recently. Anyway, I wanted 4.4mm to 2x3.5mm cable and I had an XLR-4 cable that I received with a HP trade deal but never used. So, I wanted to buy the connector from my favorite cable DIY online shop in Germany, Audioverse, and found this nice looking copper cable ready made in the outlet section. I never had such a nice looking copper cable before, so I said why not, and sold the other cable and bought this one, along with the other parts I wanted to keep in my stock (4.4mm and Dan Clark Audio connectors). I received a notification that my order is at the post office shortly after I pressed the order button. Nice!

My order arrived today, and I like what I am looking at! The HP that I would like to use it with is still days away from reaching me but I will be waiting with my 4.4mm cable ready. I paid around 200€ for it (it was a used item, as it was used for reviews previously, so new one will be more expensive) but I think that is a fair price considering it is a hand made custom cable.

If you are looking for DIY parts (pretty much any type of HP connector is listed on the website) for making your own cables (I think, they would send also outside Germany but I am not sure), or need a custom cable, I highly recommend the Audioverse.

20230720_152243.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #61,643 of 91,264
Hey guys,unfortunately I can find almost no reports on the synergy of TOTL iems like Traillii,Multiverse Mentor or Aroma Jewel used in combination with stationary DAC/AMP combos and a Macbook Pro and if it is possible to beat a SP3000 with a stack in terms of best sound quality. I own a Chord Hugo TT2 and use IEMS almost exclusively on it, so I think it would be stupid to buy an SP3k and possibly have a worse sound quality. Unless a DAP is better tailored to a TOTL iem and because everything inside a DAP is perfectly matched it already sounds better than external DAC/AMP and separate source like a Macbook pro. Am grateful for your impressions.Cheers....

Jul 20, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #61,644 of 91,264
Hey guys,unfortunately I can find almost no reports on the synergy of TOTL iems like Traillii,Multiverse Mentor or Aroma Jewel used in combination with stationary DAC/AMP combos and a Macbook Pro and if it is possible to beat a SP3000 with a stack in terms of best sound quality. I own a Chord Hugo TT2 and use IEMS almost exclusively on it, so I think it would be stupid to buy an SP3k and possibly have a worse sound quality. Unless a DAP is better tailored to a TOTL iem and because everything inside a DAP is perfectly matched it already sounds better than external DAC/AMP and separate source like a Macbook pro. Am grateful for your impressions.Cheers....
Same ask but I am considering to buy Hugo TT2+ M Scaler for my speakers and iems. Very keen to know how the stack compared to TOTL DAPs

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #61,645 of 91,264
Honestly, for me, having had many TOTL DAPs and the Hugo TT2, you are talking about sound preferences at that level. TOTL DAPs aren't magically better because they are made with IEMs in mind, and neither are desk top systems just because they are more expensive. The examples you cite are at the top of the game, but they do each have a specific sound signature. The SP3000, to cite your example, is quite different sounding from the TT2, so you would probably want to think about if you are looking for some different emphasis in the sound or looking to synergize with a specific set of IEMs before you consider whether it's a DAP or a desktop (again as long as you are playing at the top most level of things). The obvious advantage of a DAP would be portability. Impedance can become an issue with desktops systems designed more for headphones and not sensitive IEMs, etc.

Jul 20, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #61,646 of 91,264
Thanks for the comparison, great writeup!

And this is one of the most beautiful photo of IEMs, I've ever seen. Really Astonishing! Did you catch a specific natural light like the golden hour or is it artificial lighting?

Jul 20, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #61,647 of 91,264
Same ask but I am considering to buy Hugo TT2+ M Scaler for my speakers and iems. Very keen to know how the stack compared to TOTL DAPs
That stack is of course phenomenal and being able to use it in both a 2-channel and an IEM/headphone set-up simultaneously is key. But those components carry the Chord house sound. The question, again, is if that is the sound you are looking for in your source. If it is, then to me, absolutely that's great set-up and "better" than a DAP set-up in terms of versatility, especially. But personally I grew out of the Chord house sound and moved into other signatures that I preferred and that started with R2R Dacs in the two-channel and then migrated to R2R in the DAP space with the Hiby RS8, which I find rivals most desktop systems I have heard. Hope that helps.

Jul 20, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #61,648 of 91,264
Results so far:

Watercooler top 3 IEMs that own your heart right now, summer 2023 edition.

Rn6 x10

Annihilator x5
Viking x5
Ronin x4
Trifecta x4
u/a12t x4
Xe6 x4
Grand Maestro x3
Traillii x3
Mentor x3

AüR Audio Aure x2
Mest III x2
P-Zero x2
Phonix LE x2
AüR Audio Aurora x2
Maestro SE x2
Impact x2
Indigo x2
Jewel x2
IER Z1R x2

Singularity
Quintet
Aful P8
RedHalo
Scarlet Mini
Inear PMX
SR8
Perpetua
Odin
Tesseract
Supreme v3
Fitear MH334SR
Valkyrie Mk 1
Goldplanar GL-AMT16
KSE-1200
Shure SE846
Dorado 2020
Elysian X
TGX Prototype
SR7
ISN Audio Neo 5
LOAK-TC
AüR Audio Neon Pro
Mentawai
FranQL Pegasus
Bqeyz Winter
Tangzu Heyday
Mason FS

The landscape looks quite different than last year, which was all about the Trallii, Jewel and Xe6. I love watching how the dynamic and preferences of this community evolves over time.

Keep the submissions coming.

Jul 20, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #61,649 of 91,264
I really like R6 pro Gen2 and it’s the best sounding dap under 1000$ ever heard, it has a great shape, very light and pocketable, I liked a lot display and UI also.
Ragnar is another great IEM, but I much prefer RN6 tuning.IMG_7009.jpegIMG_7008.jpegIMG_7006.jpeg
How is Ragnar compared to Rn6? Is Ragnar treble tuning is too clinical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back