The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 2, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #586 of 88,242
878EA5A2-3452-4BFD-9A7F-638CFBC89FA6.JPEG

So thanks to the munificence of @tgx78 I have in my possession the Oriolus Isabellae...I got a delivery notification so I rushed to the post office at lunch time to pick them up and I couldn't wait to get them in my ears. Following are some highly off the cuff snapshot impressions after going through some of my main test tracks.

Background: I've been keen to sample some Oriolus magic for a while now and given some word of mouth, a couple reviews and an irresistible price tag I jumped on a pre-order at Musicteck only to rescind it following some impressions and graphs which made me wonder if it veered too far into "ChiFi" tuning for my liking.

Caveat: I'm running these through the Shanling M8 which in my experience has a magical effect on everything I plug into it.

Initial thoughts: these are fantastic and my fears about their tuning have proven to be unfounded. I went straight to some Creedence Clearwater Revival upon plugging them in as their music is typically intolerable to me on IEMs with "Eastern" tuning-- suffice to say I was pleasantly surprised. There is a lot of clarity & definition up top as well as sufficient air and energy-- without ever veering into anything shouty, overly vibrant, peaky, piercing or otherwise fatiguing. I could see these being described as bright leaning but it's brighness done right imho-- silky smooth, airy and well extended. These are by no means a bass dominant signature but the bass is very present, thick, well defined and extended with a smooth, natural and clean timbre. Mid-bass oomph seems to dominate a little over sub-bass and lower mid presence is bang on as far as my preferences are concerned. Bass quantity seems about on par with something like the Solaris or Andromeda...so there will probably people who want more bass than what these provide.

The Isabellae are a wonderfully smooth, clear, balanced and engaging listen...I'm excitedly flipping through my library and liking what I find each time. Standouts for me are vocals and midrange timbre in general-- I'm not usually a "vocal" guy but the texture & delivery seems totally natural, full, seductive and organic. Staging, resolution, layering etc. is good to above average but all of that stuff is secondary to me if the IEM is able to muster that "je ne sais quoi" romantic factor and sweep me off my feet. And the coherence is off the charts good...which I guess is to be expected from a single DD IEM. And just to illustrate a point-- I plugged these in thinking I'd just get a quick sense of them but they impressed me so much I was sucked in and ended up wiling away my whole lunch hour without getting around to eating lunch. Consequently I spent the whole afternoon hungry, but it was worth it.

TLDR: If you're someone who's always wanted a single DD with Andromeda like tuning these are worth a serious look.

Once my refund comes through I will very likely jump back on the wagon and pre-order again. For my first Oriolus experience I'm wildly impressed off the bat, especially at this price point...I am presently humbly tipping my hat and bowing in respect to "The Old Man" responsible for these. Well done.

The Isabellae is available for preorder at Musicteck.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #587 of 88,242
IMG_4589.JPG

So thanks to the munificence of @tgx78 I have in my possession the Oriolus Isabellae...I got a delivery notification so I rushed to the post office at lunch time to pick them up and I couldn't wait to get them in my ears. Following are some highly off the cuff snapshot impressions after going through some of my main test tracks.

Background: I've been keen to sample some Oriolus magic for a while now and given some word of mouth, a couple reviews and an irresistible price tag I jumped on a pre-order at Musicteck only to rescind it following some impressions and graphs which made me wonder if it veered too far into "ChiFi" tuning for my liking.

Caveat: I'm running these through the Shanling M8 which in my experience has a magical effect on everything I plug into it.

Initial thoughts: these are fantastic and my fears about their tuning seem to be unfounded. I went straight to some CCR upon plugging them in as their music is typically intolerable to me on IEMs with "Eastern" tuning-- suffice to say I was pleasantly surprised. There is a lot of clarity & definition up top as well as sufficient air and energy-- without ever veering into anything shouty, tingy, overly energetic, piercing sharp or otherwise fatiguing. I could see these being described as bright leaning but it's brighness done right imho-- silky smooth and never fatiguing or sharp. Mid-bass presence seems to dominate a little over sub-bass and lower mid presence is bang on-- which nails my preferences perfectly. These are a wonderfully smooth, clear, balanced and engaging listen...I'm excitedly flipping through my library and liking what I find each time. Standouts for me are vocals and midrange timbre in general-- I'm not usually a "vocal" guy but the texture & delivery seems totally natural, full, seductive and organic. Staging, resolution, layering etc. is good to above average but all of that stuff is secondary to me if the IEM is able to muster that "je ne sais quoi" romantic factor and sweep me off my feet. And the coherence is off the charts good...which I guess is to be expected from a single DD IEM. Once my refund comes through I will very likely jump back on the wagon and pre-order again. For my first Oriolus experience I'm wildly impress off the bat, especially at this price point...I am presently humbly tipping my hat and bowing in respect to "The Old Man" responsible for these. Well done. (More to come.)

Edit: And just to illustrate a point-- I plugged these in thinking I'd just get a quick sense of them but they impressed me so much I was sucked in and ended up wiling away my whole lunch hour without getting around to eating lunch. I'll probably be hungry for the next few hours but it was worth it.
Great first impressions! Now I can’t wait for my M8 to arrive in few days.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #588 of 88,242
IMG_4589.JPG

Initial thoughts: these are fantastic and my fears about their tuning seem to be unfounded. I went straight to some CCR upon plugging them in as their music is typically intolerable to me on IEMs with "Eastern" tuning-- suffice to say I was pleasantly surprised. There is a lot of clarity & definition up top as well as sufficient air and energy-- without ever veering into anything shouty, tingy, overly energetic, piercing sharp or otherwise fatiguing. I could see these being described as bright leaning but it's brighness done right imho-- silky smooth and never fatiguing or sharp. Mid-bass presence seems to dominate a little over sub-bass and lower mid presence is bang on-- which nails my preferences perfectly. These are a wonderfully smooth, clear, balanced and engaging listen...I'm excitedly flipping through my library and liking what I find each time. Standouts for me are vocals and midrange timbre in general-- I'm not usually a "vocal" guy but the texture & delivery seems totally natural, full, seductive and organic. Staging, resolution, layering etc. is good to above average but all of that stuff is secondary to me if the IEM is able to muster that "je ne sais quoi" romantic factor and sweep me off my feet. And the coherence is off the charts good...which I guess is to be expected from a single DD IEM. Once my refund comes through I will very likely jump back on the wagon and pre-order again. For my first Oriolus experience I'm wildly impress off the bat, especially at this price point...I am presently humbly tipping my hat and bowing in respect to "The Old Man" responsible for these. Well done. (More to come.)

Edit: And just to illustrate a point-- I plugged these in thinking I'd just get a quick sense of them but they impressed me so much I was sucked in and ended up wiling away my whole lunch hour without getting around to eating lunch. I'll probably be hungry for the next few hours but it was worth it.
Did it crack your top 10?

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #590 of 88,242
Did it crack your top 10?

Well I definitely like it more than either the MEST ii or the Nio just based on its midrange presentation-- Nio's mids were too thin for me and Mest's were a little too "simulated" sounding. To emphasize again my top 10 is just a "Rock's personal enjoyment" measure and I don't take into account things like raw technicalities etc.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #591 of 88,242
Your first impressions are very enticing. I'm looking for stellar midrange and timbre. Keep us updated man, and enjoy, and thanks to @tgx78 for sharing the love around.

Jun 2, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #592 of 88,242
Feels good, man. I think I'll remain in the stoked lane.

Jun 2, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #593 of 88,242
It is wonderful to watch and participate in another's journey, and naviagate the twists and turns as they pursue their path. The internet in general, and Head-Fi, in particluar broaden the scope and reach of this participatory/observational experience quite a bit --it is truly exciting. (Plus you folks get to enjoy more of my puns!-- :weary: )

Jun 2, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #595 of 88,242
How's the isolation on the Isabellae? Those are vents, right?

I believe so yes...isolation hard to say at this point as I haven't had them on in a noisy environment yet...and I probably won't until I have my own set as I don't take IEMs I'm borrowing out and about.

In other news home from work and listening again...these are wonderful. For anyone who's ever wanted Andromeda like tuning in a single DD the Oriolus Isabellae is worth a serious look.

Jun 2, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #597 of 88,242
I believe so yes...isolation hard to say at this point as I haven't had them on in a noisy environment yet...and I probably won't until I have my own set as I don't take IEMs I'm borrowing out and about.

In other news home from work and listening again...these are wonderful. For anyone who's ever wanted Andromeda like tuning in a single DD the Oriolus Isabellae is worth a serious look.

I know this is a big ask, but do you mind checking in comparison with an IEM you think isolates pretty well? My test is to snap my fingers outside each ear at varying distances.

I'm always on the hunt for a great DD, but I do use them out and about so isolation is important.

Jun 2, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #598 of 88,242
Jun 2, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #599 of 88,242
I know this is a big ask, but do you mind checking in comparison with an IEM you think isolates pretty well? My test is to snap my fingers outside each ear at varying distances.

I'm always on the hunt for a great DD, but I do use them out and about so isolation is important.

Yes I can do that...I'm pretty sure my Elysium isolates quite well when I've got the Xelastec tips on so I'll use that as a reference. It might be a bit before I can motivate myself to pull the Isabellae out of my years though :p

Wow. That’s great. Just wait until you hear the Traillii.

I can't wait to hear one...I'll never spend that much on an IEM though.

Jun 2, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #600 of 88,242

I just did an easy comparison with my Dorado across the room with my bathroom fan on...I'm sorry to report that the Isabellae do not isolate very well.

Edit: Or at least according to this brief test they didn't...sorry this isn't something I've taken in to account much before so I don't have a reliable internal metric for assessing it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back