The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 8, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #55,096 of 90,686
I've heard that, the only one I've seen for sale from from Japan directly for $1,350 on eBay

From my experience any IEM selling on Ebay out of Japan is massively overpriced. I've seen a few Solaris SE in the classifieds here. To be honest though if you want to experience a Solaris the roughly $600 or so you can readily find the OG Solaris for used makes it one of the best price/performance bargains available anywhere imho.

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #55,097 of 90,686
If you know they are your top 5 pick, have you entertained buying their music so you never have to worry about it? Stubborn labels and bands have a bucket I place them in and eventually I will purchase on Bandcamp (if they are offered) Most of the time you'll get a 24-bit hi-res if its available too, for usually under $10. Depends on the label.
I hadn't really because the whole point of streaming is having everything you like available in one spot all at once without having to switch between players, etc. I have them on vinyl for when I just want to listen to them.

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #55,098 of 90,686
From my experience any IEM selling on Ebay out of Japan is massively overpriced. I've seen a few Solaris SE in the classifieds here. To be honest though if you want to experience a Solaris the roughly $600 or so you can readily find the OG Solaris for used makes it one of the best price/performance bargains available anywhere imho.
For sure, I've thought about it, but I hate the color and the size haha. I should have picked up the Solaris 2020 for $600 when I had the chance. Ah well.

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #55,099 of 90,686
Coolers--I need portable player advice. What's the smallest, easiest to shove in your pocket and forget about it player that has a 4.4 output and a microsd slot? I'm fully aware I'm sacrificing some sound quality going from, say, a Sony Walkman flagship to something the size of an iPod shuffle, but I'm eyeing Hiby hard as something I can stick in my shirt pocket for day trips. Are there other brands I should be looking at?

I’ve got the Aune M1P on the way - I wanted something small, non Android and with both 3.5mm and 4.4mm, bonus that this actually has 2.5mm also. I should have it next week and will share impressions. This looks perfect for slipping in my pocket, and I love that it’s not touchscreen - old school!

A9A545AF-213E-4883-AA4D-AE987AC0B2DE.jpeg

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #55,100 of 90,686
I’ve got the Aune M1P on the way - I wanted something small, non Android and with both 3.5mm and 4.4mm, bonus that this actually has 2.5mm also. I should have it next week and will share impressions. This looks perfect for slipping in my pocket, and I love that it’s not touchscreen - old school!

Oh, yeah, it's a Zune. :gs1000smile:

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #55,101 of 90,686
I hadn't really because the whole point of streaming is having everything you like available in one spot all at once without having to switch between players, etc. I have them on vinyl for when I just want to listen to them.
I have all my music on all my players and listen in UAPP to streaming and local. Seamless single interface. But I guess if you don't want to copy music to players then I see that point.

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #55,102 of 90,686
For sure, I've thought about it, but I hate the color and the size haha. I should have picked up the Solaris 2020 for $600 when I had the chance. Ah well.

Yeah the look of the OG has always been divisive.

On that note, flashback to my setup exactly four years ago:

Fotor_155442147851485.jpg

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #55,103 of 90,686
Apr 8, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #55,104 of 90,686
I have all my music on all my players and listen in UAPP to streaming and local. Seamless single interface. But I guess if you don't want to copy music to players then I see that point.
Interesting concept. The only place I've found their discography for sale is from the record label site and it doesn't say what format or quality it is. Odd.

Apr 8, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #55,105 of 90,686
Really? I'd heard that Apple music doesn't work well on Androids. Weird interface or something. Last time I checked them out, they were missing music I liked too. I tried Amazon music, but it didn't sound as good as Tidal - this was a year or two ago now.
I've never had an issue with Apple Music on my Android phones V60 & S22U. I used this service Soundiiz to transfer my Tidal Library to both services. Apple music had all but 1 song. I missed about 150 - 180ish songs with Qobuz. I listen to a lot of obscure Hip Hop, Jazz, R&B, and Reggae that isn't always found on Qobuz for licensing issues or the album isn't on streaming services due to it being out of print.

Apr 8, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #55,106 of 90,686
I've never had an issue with Apple Music on my Android phones V60 & S22U. I used this service Soundiiz to transfer my Tidal Library to both services. Apple music had all but 1 song. I missed about 150 - 180ish songs with Qobuz. I listen to a lot of obscure Hip Hop, Jazz, R&B, and Reggae that isn't always found on Qobuz for licensing issues or the album isn't on streaming services due to it being out of print.
Do you find that the sound form Apple music is really good?

Apr 8, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #55,107 of 90,686

Looks very Zune ish. I dig it.

Apr 8, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #55,108 of 90,686
Do you find that the sound form Apple music is really good?
Yes, I think it eeks slightly ahead of Tidal in some cases. The only gripes I had was the lack of compatibility with Roon/UAPP and the Windows version (iTunes)..... well bless their hearts for trying. Hopefully, they will make that app better one day.

Apr 8, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #55,109 of 90,686
Yes, I think it eeks slightly ahead of Tidal in some cases. The only gripes I had was the lack of compatibility with Roon/UAPP and the Windows version (iTunes)..... well bless their hearts for trying. Hopefully, they will make that app better one day.
Hmm, I use Tidal on my computer quite often, so that may be a deal killer. May look into it though.

Apr 8, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #55,110 of 90,686
knowing apple, when they actually manage to have integrations with 3rd party platforms, it probably means either they bought the 3rd party or they are no longer market leaders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back