The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 28, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #53,986 of 88,321
Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #53,987 of 88,321
Have you ever enjoyed Erlkonig on setting #1? It's the closest thing I've personally heard to XE6.

7170a1cee3afec43c8141fc61cb84ec4.png

Irregardless, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Xenon 6 is definitely an "out there" tuning and it's one of those things that I feel just either clicks with you or it doesn't. I know several people who like similar IEMs to me but they absolutely do not like the XE6. I'm not sure I would have been able to grasp what it was about if I heard it in a demo environment, but I blind bought a universal so I had the privilege of listening to it at home and it literally took me about 5 hours of straight listening to finally "click" with what it was about. I've never had to give an IEM that much time before in my life.

I feel you on Annihilator, the bass is what let me down with it but apparently his current prototype "Dio" should address that as he's using a new DD. I'm also with you on Odyssey, I didn't really get the hype behind that one at all. It's definitely an impressive IEM, don't get me wrong. I'd argue it's the best thing EE has put out since the Legend X, but I couldn't help but find it incredibly plain and rather boring myself. The sub bass on it felt really underwhelming to me too which is not what I was expecting. I think I'd choose Legend Evo over it even with its inferior (to my ears) upper mid/treble tuning.
Irregardless isn't a word, although it sounds like it should be. Not trying to misunderestimate you ;p

Suppose I'm in the minority, but I vibed with the xe6 tuning right out of the box. 5 minutes in and I was sold on what they were aiming for.
Interesting about Erlk. Apparently one of the settings is closest to Phonix LE...that would be my personal favorite. @Frankie D what setting was yours on.

I tried a few times in both NYC and SoCal to get into Odyssey but it never really worked for me. Ultimately I found it to be incohesive-- it felt like two IEMS like there was the bass and then there was everything else. It almost felt like a prototype of something truly great...which would be a smart move in a sense for them to release the more polished product under their own name. At the same time I know a lot of folks who really love Ody so what do I know. Xe6, similarly, strikes a deep chord with some, but not others. And Lord knows the same is true of Trifecta. This conversation is interesting as it really shows how even very experienced and well established folks can hear or enjoy things very differently-- even if they tend to agree a lot of the time. I think this is healthy, personally. We are all individuals fundamentally and our tastes and preferences should reflect this on the whole.
This is a remarkably accurate impression to what I heard with the Odyssey, which was lots of detail with little synergy. I'm sacrificing some of that detail with the xe6, but I'm getting a more coherent musical experience, and that tradeoff is ok with me.

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #53,990 of 88,321
X-post from FatFreq Thread (MSE quick review)

It's here...

...and it's good.

To start, MSE has such an inoffensive tuning.

That may not seem like much, however, I have bought and sold TOTL sets at more than twice the price of this thing in a flash because they were unlistenable in one way or another - sibilant treble, notes too thin-sounding, harsh upper-mids...etc. (Not to mention the gents over at FF have been offering discount deals for a little while now.) MSE more or less avoids all of these potential pitfalls, and delivers a sound that can be effortlessly listened to for hours, and is likely to offend next to no one. I think this is an iem that most people, even those not looking for a transducer with such a dramatic bass shelf, will have a hard time denying sounds pretty sweet.

MSE isn't the most technically impressive iem I've heard: it may not have the best texture, or the biggest staging, or the most airy layering, or dazzling detail, or lifelike vocals....but it also doesn't disappointingly swing and miss on any of those things either. Everything MSE does, it does really well. And damn is it fun, musical, and engaging as hell. I will even go so far as to say it's one of the most engaging iems I've ever heard, while concurrently being one of the least offensive. And this thing definitely has bass that digs deeper than anything I've heard before. And because nearly all of the bass is in the sub-region, it truly does "disappear" when your music doesn't demand it, which dramatically adds to MSE's versatility. (This is completely different from something like the xe6, which has an ever-present warmth whether the song calls for it or not.)

In my opinion, the MSE a legitimate allrounder with incredible bass, and sky-high engagement and musicality, all of which is delivered inoffensively, and at a relative bargain price when compared to so much else out there.

In the $2k and below segment, MSE is now my top recommendation.

Cheers, FatFreq.

TLDR: The battery on my mojo just died unexpectedly in the middle of a song with the MSE in my ears...that's my one-line 5 star review.

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #53,991 of 88,321
Mar 28, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #53,992 of 88,321
Want to report that Amp13 on DX320X is just out of this world!
Incredible performance
Only day 1 and brief time so far but Camelot have absolutely exceeded my expectations - I think due to there not being much mention I didn’t have particularly high hopes, but I’ve definitely been taken by surprise and finding they are tuned very much to my preferences.

Briefly: huge holographic stage, very resolving with superb detail and razor sharp imaging - fantastic balance and paired with N7 in particular, a nice boost to the lows. Mids are clear with a hint of warmth and zero glare in upper mids that often cause me a problem. Treble has superb sparkle and again, excellent detail.

Early days but they definitely strike me as a set that punch above their price point.

C259F2D6-E2E2-4ED0-A23A-8F21B3CBDC31.jpeg
You would Love Neon Pro from AüR audio, same experience with DX320X and Amp13

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #53,993 of 88,321
X-post from FatFreq Thread (MSE quick review)

It's here...

...and it's good.

To start, MSE has such an inoffensive tuning.

That may not seem like much, however, I have bought and sold TOTL sets at more than twice the price of this thing in a flash because they were unlistenable in one way or another - sibilant treble, notes too thin-sounding, harsh upper-mids...etc. (Not to mention the gents over at FF have been offering discount deals for a little while now.) MSE more or less avoids all of these potential pitfalls, and delivers a sound that can be effortlessly listened to for hours, and is likely to offend next to no one. I think this is an iem that most people, even those not looking for a transducer with such a dramatic bass shelf, will have a hard time denying sounds pretty sweet.

MSE isn't the most technically impressive iem I've heard: it may not have the best texture, or the biggest staging, or the most airy layering, or dazzling detail, or lifelike vocals....but it also doesn't disappointingly swing and miss on any of those things either. Everything MSE does, it does really well. And damn is it fun, musical, and engaging as hell. I will even go so far as to say it's one of the most engaging iems I've ever heard, while concurrently being one of the least offensive. And this thing definitely has bass that digs deeper than anything I've heard before. And because nearly all of the bass is in the sub-region, it truly does "disappear" when your music doesn't demand it, which dramatically adds to MSE's versatility. (This is completely different from something like the xe6, which has an ever-present warmth whether the song calls for it or not.)

In my opinion, the MSE a legitimate allrounder with incredible bass, and sky-high engagement and musicality, all of which is delivered inoffensively, and at a relative bargain price when compared to so much else out there.

In the $2k and below segment, MSE is now my top recommendation.

Cheers, FatFreq.

TLDR: The battery on my mojo just died unexpectedly in the middle of a song with the MSE in my ears...that's my one-line 5 star review.
Nice initial impressions! “Engaging as hell” is what it’s all about IMO. Refreshing to see a brand putting out a set with unique tuning that’s well implemented and at a “reasonable” price point. I know @aaf evo and @Bret Halford have been singing it’s praises for a bit now… Good to see others jumping in and digging it.

Gonna be a little while but really looking forward to hearing these when they tour through the US.

Mar 28, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #53,994 of 88,321
I just got home from testing the Xe6.

Nope, it's definitely not my thing. I'll be brief: There is just too much bass for me personally and highs are very recessed.

Did you try it at a show environment? XE6 has an open back design that lets more sound in than Mentor. I also found that XE6 sounds cleaner the deeper the fit is (The cut out making physical contact)

Screenshot_20221211-234721_Gallery.jpg

The highs are actually one of the things I like about the XE6. It has the perfect amount of extension for me. Energetic music has enough sparkle but doesn't push it to the point of fatigue like Annihilator.

If I may be honest, I don't understand this hype about the Xe6 at all.

A few reasons I love the XE6:

- It has that thicker mid bass / lower mid tuning while having detailed highs.

-Unique staging and class leading dynamics.

I understand that some people might not resonate with this type of tuning. For me I've come to appreciate how different it sounds compared to the mild variations of what is out there already.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #53,995 of 88,321
I honestly thought the Xe6 would sound more bizarre before I got it, based on the controversy. Personally, I adjusted to it fairly quickly. Not sure if it's because of my source (SP3000), or because I have a good fit, or if it's synergy with the OTL cable I'm using.

As others have said, it's extraordinarily awesome for a certain % of my library, and quite terrible for a lot of the rest. It would never be my only IEM, but it's great at what it does and it gets a lot of my listening time.

I also like it better than the Odyssey due to better treble, soundstage and tuning. The Odyssey's BCD bass was also a little too intense for me... I find the Xe6 kinetic bass easier on the ears for extended listening.

Mar 28, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #53,996 of 88,321
What music don’t you like xe6 with, @MRT-Man ?

Mar 28, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #53,997 of 88,321
What music don’t you like xe6 with, @MRT-Man ?
Hard rock and metal especially. It's just muddy and too much.

Classic rock can be ok. But something like Dream Theater is unlistenable on the Xe6. For that, I need to go to the other extreme and pull out the Ragnar. :stuck_out_tongue:

But meanwhile, pop and EDM generally works very well on the Xe6. Daft Punk, the Weeknd, Dua Lipa, Miley, are all great... I'm very curious about the Rn6, but am concerned I'd lose some of the amazing warm bassy goodness with those genres vs. the Xe6.

Mar 28, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #54,000 of 88,321
I'm very curious about the Rn6, but am concerned I'd lose some of the amazing warm bassy goodness with those genres vs. the Xe6.
I’d recommend a listen. Rn6 with gold module has weighty, impactful bass goodness and detail.

Rn6 (gold) + stock silver cable + N7 are my favorite pairings so far.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back