The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 25, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #53,716 of 91,358
This officially has my interest as the most anticipated IEM of the year, barring any surprises from Sony :sunglasses:
I'm certain Sony will drop a sequel to the Z1R. I'm just not certain it'll come before whatever actual year Horizon: Zero Dawn takes place in.

Mar 25, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #53,717 of 91,358
They had an earlier prototype of it with clear shells there, and I spotted 1 BCD, 2 DDs, at least 1 EST and at least 2 BAs. It’s a massive, massive quadbrid.

Sonically, one could say it’s the best of all of EE’s previous work in one. It’s got the fun and ease of the LX, the resolving power (and more) of the ODIN and the balanced-ness (and more) of the Odyssey. It’s basically the culmination of all we’ve asked for; LX with more vibrance/air, ODIN with less upper-mids and more air, Odyssey with more clarity and detail, etc.

I’d say they’ve finally pulled off the quintessential, community-feedback-assisted EE IEM. :D
I'm in love with myself and how calm I am haha j/k :)

This reminds me a little of the extreme hype around the Legend EVO and the little lesser hype around Odyssey. Both turned out to be rather normal and, sure, special to some.

No offense but I doubt there is or will be an IEM or headphone in the near future that does everything perfectly. Either there are those that are perfect allrounders by doing nothing wrong (u12t, probably Storm) - but also pretty much nothing special. Or there are those with a special sauce like Odin (Detail, Bass, Mids - too much for some), XE6 (Detail, Midbass - too much for some), Annihilator (Treble - too much for some), Tia Trio (Bass, Soundstage, so-so treble - too less for some), probably also Trifecta with love/hate reviews :) - but that are not the perfect allrounders for most people.

There is always something that needs to be sacrificed. That's what I learned on my audio journey.

But still, I'm very interested in the new EE release and what people say when the dust settled after 3-6 months or so :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #53,718 of 91,358
So were the two prototypes shown off at NYC something entirely different than the Raven? Is the Raven more akin to a Legend Evo MKII, or something entirely different?

Yes NYC prototypes were both midfi (their words) and neither were that remarkable to me.

Mar 25, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #53,719 of 91,358
No offense but I doubt there is or will be an IEM or headphone in the near future that does everything perfectly.
Which makes sense. Unless every recording you listened to was mastered exactly the same, or, hell, even in the same genre of music (ie, frequency range), you can't "add" something to a fixed total quantity without taking away something else. Basic logic dictates if you have 100% total of everything, if, say, 50% was bass, 30% midrange, and 20% high end treble, you couldn't add more treble, for example, without sacrificing one of the other two (and again, this is a grossly oversimplified example). Adding more of everything, alternatively, would just result in something louder overall without necessarily being better.
My sweet spot right now for IEMs is two. I've got my fun sounding set (my Xanadu) for moving to the music, and I've got my passive listening set (currently inbound Radon 6) for running tracks while I work and multitask. If I had more time (and money) I'd probably be more into collecting IEMs like some of the more prominent members.

I'm curious about the EE Raven though. I like their house sound, although I wish my ears fit their build size more comfortably.

Mar 25, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #53,720 of 91,358
Hello! @Rockwell75 , @ranfan ,
@Ojisan , or someone familiar with Japan music.. 🇯🇵

Aragaki Yui - Hanamizuki

Ken Hirai - Omoiga Kasanarusonomaeni

Why do these two songs sound similar to me? Are they based on same original song or something? Thanks a bunch!!🥰😊👋

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #53,721 of 91,358
Which makes sense. Unless every recording you listened to was mastered exactly the same, or, hell, even in the same genre of music (ie, frequency range), you can't "add" something to a fixed total quantity without taking away something else. Basic logic dictates if you have 100% total of everything, if, say, 50% was bass, 30% midrange, and 20% high end treble, you couldn't add more treble, for example, without sacrificing one of the other two (and again, this is a grossly oversimplified example). Adding more of everything, alternatively, would just result in something louder overall without necessarily being better.
My sweet spot right now for IEMs is two. I've got my fun sounding set (my Xanadu) for moving to the music, and I've got my passive listening set (currently inbound Radon 6) for running tracks while I work and multitask. If I had more time (and money) I'd probably be more into collecting IEMs like some of the more prominent members.

I'm curious about the EE Raven though. I like their house sound, although I wish my ears fit their build size more comfortably.

I'm also curious and I like the EE house sound also. The Odins are my only pair of IEMs that stood the test of time. Over two years now with me and still hyped every time I'm using them.

Mar 25, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #53,722 of 91,358
So were the two prototypes shown off at NYC something entirely different than the Raven? Is the Raven more akin to a Legend Evo MKII, or something entirely different?
Yeah, those were apparently mid-fi offerings. Raven is its own thing IMO. It's the most un-EE-sounding IEM from their line-up, apart from maybe the bass.

I'm in love with myself and how calm I am haha j/k :)

This reminds me a little of the extreme hype around the Legend EVO and the little lesser hype around Odyssey. Both turned out to be rather normal and, sure, special to some.

No offense but I doubt there is or will be an IEM or headphone in the near future that does everything perfectly. Either there are those that are perfect allrounders by doing nothing wrong (u12t, probably Storm) - but also pretty much nothing special. Or there are those with a special sauce like Odin (Detail, Bass, Mids - too much for some), XE6 (Detail, Midbass - too much for some), Annihilator (Treble - too much for some), Tia Trio (Bass, Soundstage, so-so treble - too less for some), probably also Trifecta with love/hate reviews :) - but that are not the perfect allrounders for most people.

There is always something that needs to be sacrificed. That's what I learned on my audio journey.

But still, I'm very interested in the new EE release and what people say when the dust settled after 3-6 months or so :wink:
For what it's worth, I heavily disliked the Legend EVO, and I posted my thoughts on the Odyssey yesterday where I said, "I liked it quite a bit." So, 'not the most hyped impressions of either, as you can see. :D At the end of the day, I'm just one data point, and we all have our biases. You just admitted to your own with the ODIN. I wasn't the biggest fan of that one either. So, just make of my impressions (and the more detailed version, which'll come in the next day or two) what you will, and, better yet, see if you can hear it for yourself.

Mar 25, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #53,723 of 91,358
Yeah, those were apparently mid-fi offerings. Raven is its own thing IMO. It's the most un-EE-sounding IEM from their line-up, apart from maybe the bass.

For what it's worth, I heavily disliked the Legend EVO, and I posted my thoughts on the Odyssey yesterday where I said, "I liked it quite a bit." So, 'not the most hyped impressions of either, as you can see. :D At the end of the day, I'm just one data point, and we all have our biases. You just admitted to your own with the ODIN. I wasn't the biggest fan of that one either. So, just make of my impressions (and the more detailed version, which'll come in the next day or two) what you will, and, better yet, see if you can hear it for yourself.
I owned the Odin and was never enamored with it so I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the Raven.

Mar 25, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #53,724 of 91,358

Liked Odin, loved Evo (with heavy caveats, including the treble rolloff), couldn't stand Odyssey. My current set is basically a bassier sounding Odin.
I still think EE has some of the best bone conduction implementation on the market. I'd compare it to Fir, but I really think of them as doing their own thing, whereas EE is more directly comparable to, say, Unique Melody. I wish that implementation didn't accompany fairly heftily sized shells, although I understand why it has to. It's certainly helpful for impressions to be posted with a benchmark (I liked these other sets, so here's why I did or didn't like this set, for example).

Mar 25, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #53,725 of 91,358
Mar 25, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #53,726 of 91,358
I've been camped out in the hospital

It's none of my business why you (or a loved one) is there, but I hope somebody feels better soon! :hugging:

Ja, the pure silver silver, oxygen copper shielded cable was exclusively designed and built for the Rn6. It's a pretty great f'ing silver cable, lightweight and ergonomic, though blackish brown translucent insulation is a little tacky. TLDR; one of the best OEM cable I've handled and listened – sonically close to ET's Plato/Illiad.

Interesting! I don't have the final cable as the one I have here arrived early for the Sg preview video, so I've been curious about how the final pairing sounds. However, I do have an Iliad here, so that might give me a glimpse as to what everybody else is hearing?

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 12.10.08 PM.png

I am curious to add a multi-DD IEM to my collection.

🤣

Mar 25, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #53,727 of 91,358
My current set is basically a bassier sounding Odin.
Would that be the Xanadu Khopensh? I did think the Odin could do with just a touch more bass quantity. Also, for some reason I just didn't find it engaging enough. I had the Rhapsodio Infinity Mk2 at the same time (which I sold then reacquired) and notes on the Rhapsodio had more weight.

Mar 25, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #53,730 of 91,358

A useful video.

@Wolfhawk46: one time you asked why M6U has to be turned up higher than M3U for the same listening volume. The answer is around 6:00. I’m still surprised that the volume adjustment controls the voltage before, not after the gain stages. Wish I paid more attention to electronics back in highschool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back