The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 9, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #51,736 of 90,884
Generally speaking. I don’t feel reactive towards impressions or reviews which use negative words like garbage, awful, and the like per se. But I feel differently if there are analogies or allusions which stray into personal or vituperative attacks. Granted, everyone’s tolerance is different and plenty of grey areas, but I don’t subscribe to the notion of freedom of speech absolutism.
For the less verbose among us, see: Wheaton's Law:
https://www.attorneyatwork.com/wheatons-law/#:~:text=The law was coined by,'t be a dick.”

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #51,737 of 90,884
Just sat down with the UM Mentors which arrived today, only for twenty minutes or so as I am pretty tired from a days work. First test track was Dire Striats' Brothers in Arms, and I got the same spine-tingling feeling that I last got when I sat down several years back with the Susvaras, its nice to be able to experience that moment again. I have been listening to a great deal of my EVO for several months now, and this is a entirely different tuning especially in the mids which is well documented here already. Arms' is a test track I have heard many times over the years, but there is something about hearing it through the Mentors which makes it another experience altogether. I put on Thom Yorke's track Suspirium next and got a similar feeling. To mix things up a bit, my next test track was Gasoline by The Weeknd and whilst I would not say the Mentor sounds like a overtly bassy IEM it does have weight and kick behind it on this track. Tomorrow I intend to spend a lot more time with it, I am expecting also the Trifecta to arrive so might post some more random thoughts about that when it comes.

Attachments

• 20230309_211826.jpg
    20230309_211826.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 9, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #51,738 of 90,884
A Facebook memory from 2 years ago popped up - I was intrigued at the time as to how many FLAC albums fit on a 1TB microSD card, I still am intrigued! I’ve worked in technology in one shape or form my entire career, and how storage capacity has evolved consistently fascinates me.

I calculated at the time that the 1TB would store about 1,400 FLAC albums, at an average of around 700MB per album. The wall in the background is partially where I keep CDs, a similar number I figured to what’s on the card!

6675FB93-2F40-48B6-89F3-33BA6E2C5CC7.jpeg
1,400 albums is roughly 14,000 titles, to have that much library of FLAC collection legally is incredible. But I already have people mentioned to have 2 1TB MicroSD cards inserted to their Hiby RS2 DAP.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #51,739 of 90,884
Hope your chronic attendance to canjam meets its final appraise.
I am displeased to report that it is, in fact, far from final, and that not only will I be at Canjam Singapore next month, but I will likely be at every Canjam NYC from this year onwards for the foreseeable future. If this is an issue you are free to take it up with me in person should you happen to see me at any one of these events. Happy listening!

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #51,740 of 90,884
Point being… everyone here whenever they post are expressing their own opinion and nothing more. It’s just funny how depending on what you’re talking about it gets met with criticism or it will just get brushed aside like nothing happened.
Sure it can be discouraging, or to some even hurt your feelings - but ask yourself, why should my feelings be hurt over someone else's opinion on sound? Everyone is entitled to have their stance and can be vocal about it, as long as it's not just ill-intentioned or unconstructive. Nothing personal beyond that.
I just don’t understand the hypersensitivity. My view is that every comment on this entire site is given with an implied IMHO. Fark me for the number of times I’ve read about the “boring”, “lifeless”, “unexciting” u12t, I just DGAF.
Hi Rockwell! Saw you at the Bloom Audio table while me and a buddy were listening to Campfire stuff, too bad we didn't get to say hi. You certainly seemed much more pleasant in person than you do online though. Wish you all the best in your chronic spending habits.
Mmm, I think I smell popcorn

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #51,741 of 90,884
Actually closer to 200-300MB per album at CD (16/44.1) quality, so approx twice that number of albums!

I’ve a lot of 24bit albums and numerous 2xCD equivalents, many of which are well over 1GB - I’d say actually 500mb average at least, 300mb and less are definitely in the minority for me.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #51,742 of 90,884
1,400 albums is roughly 14,000 titles, to have that much library of FLAC collection legally is incredible. But I already have people mentioned to have 2 1TB MicroSD cards inserted to their Hiby RS2 DAP.
Dammit. I keep saying I don't need a new DAP and now you've got me wondering. I'm *this* close to filling my current 1tb card. How many current DAPs have android support, dual card support, and a semi-decent battery life? Any current recommendations, preferably not bank-breaking? Because a second card slot would be absolutely killer on the Sony.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #51,743 of 90,884
I’ve a lot of 24bit albums and numerous 2xCD equivalents, many of which are well over 1GB - I’d say actually 500mb average at least, 300mb and less are definitely in the minority for me.
Yep...I've been (very) slowly replacing quite a bit of my 16-bit stuff with 24-bit (bandcamp has gotten a nice chunk of change from me the past several years, LOL). Why? I'm a freak like the rest of you lot in some ways hahahaha. My music library size/space taken has ballooned because of this.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #51,744 of 90,884
Yeah, same, my point being though is that those CDs on your wall would max out at 200-300MB as flac rips, unless they were double-CDs.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #51,745 of 90,884
I am displeased to report that it is, in fact, far from final, and that not only will I be at Canjam Singapore next month, but I will likely be at every Canjam NYC from this year onwards for the foreseeable future. If this is an issue you are free to take it up with me in person should you happen to see me at any one of these events. Happy listening!
Let me give you guys a template for that purpose:

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #51,746 of 90,884
Yeah, same, my point being though is that those CDs on your wall would max out at 200-300MB as flac rips, unless they were double-CDs.

Ah ok.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #51,747 of 90,884
Dammit. I keep saying I don't need a new DAP and now you've got me wondering. I'm *this* close to filling my current 1tb card. How many current DAPs have android support, dual card support, and a semi-decent battery life? Any current recommendations, preferably not bank-breaking? Because a second card slot would be absolutely killer on the Sony.
Very few. I've actually never filled a 512GB card, let alone 256GB, mostly because I just stream from my Plex server via UAPP when I'm home, which is also the only time I use my DAPs 😅 Besides, it would take far more time than I have for music to listen to all the albums I can fit on a 1TB card...and I have a 5TB music library...
Yep...I've been (very) slowly replacing quite a bit of my 16-bit stuff with 24-bit (bandcamp has gotten a nice chunk of change from me the past several years, LOL). Why? I'm a freak like the rest of you lot in some ways hahahaha. My music library size/space taken has ballooned because of this.
250 3GB+ DSD rips and counting...

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #51,749 of 90,884
Very few. I've actually never filled a 512GB card, let alone 256GB, mostly because I just stream from my Plex server via UAPP when I'm home, which is also the only time I use my DAPs 😅 Besides, it would take far more time than I have for music to listen to all the albums I can fit on a 1TB card...and I have a 5TB music library...

250 3GB+ DSD rips and counting...
The NAS is on my list for when I'm in a house and not an apartment, but in the interim my DAP card's my own personal miniature happy place. I back it up time to time but in general it's my master collection. I keep acquiring new stuff and like my gaming backlog get to it...eh, eventually.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #51,750 of 90,884
Let's have a chat in SG if I find ya, always interested to get the perspective of someone who has heard as much as you. At least point its unclear if I agree or disagree with your takes but I'm curious to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back