The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 9, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #51,721 of 90,230
Couldn't agree more with all of this, particularly the part that I bolded. I'm also on mentor + orphy.

Traillii was the timbre king for me as well (used orphy with the bird, too.) I sold it for two key reasons: it lacked venting, and I felt like jewel (again, with orphy,) was providing a more or less "similar" listening experience, albeit with a slightly different tuning. However, despite some perceived improvements on the jewel (venting, bass texture, arguably better dynamics,) I came to miss the sheer timbral accuracy of the bird. I also came to agree with the perspective that jewel gave up some of the bird's emotional engagement in return for a touch more detail. I recently sold jewel as well.

It goes without saying that both traillii and jewel are true totl sets and remain among the best iems i've ever heard.

Mentor is the first set I've heard that rivals bird's timbre, and I feel, in some ways surpasses it - particularly with something like piano harmonics. Resolution and detail are among the best I've heard. It has a ridiculously emotional and engaging presentation; sounding both natural and romantic. It has the best vocals I've heard to date. And of course, the cutting-edge BCD that's talked about most...a new high-water mark for me, for sure.
Reading the list of your retired IEMs, it's like reading an entire hall of fame :). Must respect your current survivors.

Mar 9, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #51,722 of 90,230
Speak for yourself. Personally I think he's a troll and don't consider him trustworthy at all. This trend of being aggressively negative for just for the sake of it under the pretense of "keeping it real" may have value as entertainment but I don't think it does the community or the hobby much good. That said everyone is free to find value in whoever or whatever they want and if there are those who find him helpful then power to them and a good old YMMV, and all that.
He's a very objective and matter of fact listener. Also a classical musician by profession if I remember correctly.

His approach is truthfully unlike anyone else's, but if you can calibrate to his methods & style and understand it, you can extrapolate insightful data from his takes.

I've had my run-ins and issues with animus in the past (also thinking along the lines of "this has to be a joke", but over time came to realize he's just trying to share his thoughts but with a very, very satirical approach that is uniquely him.

Like in the real world, we're all from different backgrounds & have different approaches. We should welcome people from all walks of life and methods, and be able to compile the varying impressions.

I don't think anyone would take the time to write down such a long post only to be deceitful and not try to be informative. It's just unconventional :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 9, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #51,723 of 90,230
He's a very objective and matter of fact listener. Also a classical musician by profession if I remember correctly.

His approach is truthfully unlike anyone else's, but if you can calibrate to his methods & style and understand it, you can extrapolate insightful data from his takes.

I've had my run-ins and issues with animus in the past (also thinking along the lines of "this has to be a joke", but over time came to realize he's just trying to share his thoughts but with a very, very satirical approach that is uniquely him.

Like in the real world, we're all from different backgrounds & have different approaches. We should welcome people from all walks of life and methods, and be able to compile the varying impressions.

I don't think anyone would take the time to write down such a long post only to be deceitful and not try to be informative. It's just unconventional :)
There's unconventional and there's downright disrespectful. I find (some) of his stuff funny because I don't take him even a little bit seriously. It's like watching splastick comedy and laughing at people doing OTT despicable things to each other in funny way. But just like those comedies, I think his posts have zero basis in reality and therefore zero value beyond entertainment. They're not clever in the way great black humour can be, and as such I can also see how he crosses the line for many. Reducing so many company's hard work to slapstick shlock loses its charm after a while.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #51,724 of 90,230
Looking at the Hiby RS2 R2R dap I have a few DAPS Sony nw-zx507, Sony Nwm1a, fiio m15, Cayin N3pro and Shanling m6pro (21)
My question is it a good example of R2R in an affordable way? I have the cayin RU6 dongle and looking for similar sound in a dap for not too many pennies
If you are usually listening with your phone as source, I'd say RU6 is enough. I don't think RS2 is a significant upgrade in that regards.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #51,725 of 90,230
A Scubi on DX320X might be imminent, the JVC SW01 are a match made in heaven, especially now with the Forza Noir Hybrid cable… so addictive.

In other news, I’ve reduced the rating of my recent review of Svanar to 4.5 - on reflection, the stock cable / lack of balanced and overall accessories at this price I feel needs to be factored.

5E8F3F06-5E14-44B7-8DB6-037F2A794015.jpeg

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #51,726 of 90,230
Speak for yourself. Personally I think he's a troll and don't consider him trustworthy at all. This trend of being aggressively negative for just for the sake of it under the pretense of "keeping it real" may have value as entertainment but I don't think it does the community or the hobby much good. That said everyone is free to find value in whoever or whatever they want and if there are those who find him helpful then power to them and a good old YMMV, and all that.
Hi Rockwell! Saw you at the Bloom Audio table while me and a buddy were listening to Campfire stuff, too bad we didn't get to say hi. You certainly seemed much more pleasant in person than you do online though. Wish you all the best in your chronic spending habits.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #51,728 of 90,230
If you are usually listening with your phone as source, I'd say RU6 is enough. I don't think RS2 is a significant upgrade in that regards.
Thats the thing I find I'm not using my phone as I listen primarily to flac files off SD cards at all but plugging the RU6 onto one of my Daps but it murders the battery life. Therefore my question a bout the RS2 implementation of R2R

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #51,729 of 90,230
Thats the thing I find I'm not using my phone as I listen primarily to flac files off SD cards at all but plugging the RU6 onto one of my Daps but it murders the battery life. Therefore my question a bout the RS2 implementation of R2R
I would say buy it in this case, you will have spent way more for better R2R DAPs. It is usually on sales for $450 or less.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #51,730 of 90,230
Mar 9, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #51,731 of 90,230
Hi Rockwell! Saw you at the Bloom Audio table while me and a buddy were listening to Campfire stuff, too bad we didn't get to say hi. You certainly seemed much more pleasant in person than you do online though. Wish you all the best in your chronic spending habits.
Hope your chronic attendance to canjam meets its final appraise.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #51,732 of 90,230
Generally speaking. I don’t feel reactive towards impressions or reviews which use negative words like garbage, awful, and the like per se. But I feel differently if there are analogies or allusions which stray into personal or vituperative attacks. Granted, everyone’s tolerance is different and plenty of grey areas, but I don’t subscribe to the notion of freedom of speech absolutism.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #51,733 of 90,230
A Facebook memory from 2 years ago popped up - I was intrigued at the time as to how many FLAC albums fit on a 1TB microSD card, I still am intrigued! I’ve worked in technology in one shape or form my entire career, and how storage capacity has evolved consistently fascinates me.

I calculated at the time that the 1TB would store about 1,400 FLAC albums, at an average of around 700MB per album. The wall in the background is partially where I keep CDs, a similar number I figured to what’s on the card!

6675FB93-2F40-48B6-89F3-33BA6E2C5CC7.jpeg

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #51,734 of 90,230
Has anyone noticed that Elysian Acoustics is now offering different faceplate options for Annihilator.

Gold plated copper mirror finish Version, Spin Brushed Titanium Version, Stainless Steel Version.

Credit to @KKNAYANA for the photo of Staineless

0CEC5CFF-A0D4-475F-81D5-21CFAF058525.jpeg

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 9, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #51,735 of 90,230
A Facebook memory from 2 years ago popped up - I was intrigued at the time as to how many FLAC albums fit on a 1TB microSD card, I still am intrigued! I’ve worked in technology in one shape or form my entire career, and how storage capacity has evolved consistently fascinates me.

I calculated at the time that the 1TB would store about 1,400 FLAC albums, at an average of around 700MB per album. The wall in the background is partially where I keep CDs, a similar number I figured to what’s on the card!

6675FB93-2F40-48B6-89F3-33BA6E2C5CC7.jpeg
Actually closer to 200-300MB per album at CD (16/44.1) quality, so approx twice that number of albums!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back