The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 18, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #49,186 of 91,357
I bought this album a few weeks ago and forgot about it. I was browsing my P6K in preparation for going for a walk, and decided to give it a listen - a really fantastic album… a side project by Jesse from Midlake with Rachel Goswell from Slowdive featuring on a few tracks, so good I played it again when I got home! Really upbeat vibes, a feel good type album.

My favorite recent album is The Josh Ramsey Show. It really shows his musical talent and the album is a dedication to his parents who both died recently and his new wife. Brilliantly done, and he hits just about every genre of music in 1 album.

Feb 18, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #49,187 of 91,357
Happy Saturday my friends.
Our Music is just the only we need.
Enjoy.

1676725744944.png

Feb 18, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #49,189 of 91,357

Just a few weeks ago, I had sent out an email to Effect Audio for a chance to demo the Code 23 cable. And by the grace of @JordonEA, I’ve been given the opportunity to demo this cable for the past two and a half weeks. Since then, I’ve been trying to dissect its characteristics and it is my pleasure to announce that I’m finally ready to share a more conclusive opinion with everyone.

Here, I’ve not only analyzed the general sound signature of Code 23, but also dove deeper into comparisons with Effect Audio, PWA, and Eletech flagship lineups. Most specifically –

• Magnus 4-wire
  • Orpheus Shielding
  • Chiron
  • Centurion
  • Cleopatra II
  • Cleopatra II OCTA
  • Eros S
  • 1950s
  • Ode to Laura

If you’re interested and have some spare time to kill, please check out my Code 23 Review.
Your thoughts and opinions would be very much appreciated for a fun and intelligent discourse 😊

Epic review of the Code 23 and flagships!

Been enjoying its synergistic and musical pairing with Xe6. Despite its ergonomics, it’s one of the most technically proficient cable I’ve listened to date that performs above its price point and had to double up, LOL. Thank you again for the exceptional review mon ami!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #49,190 of 91,357
Happy Saturday my friends.
Our Music is just the only we need.
Enjoy.

1676725744944.png
You're signature is the most extensive I've ever seen on Head-Fi.

happy weekend, Coolers!
Actually, how can it be that long? Mine is always limited to just a few lines and I constantly have to readjust what I put in there.

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #49,191 of 91,357
Actually, how can it be that long? Mine is always limited to just a few lines and I constantly have to readjust what I put in there.
Keep it short so that ppl read it. In this age of short attention span, no one is interested in reading long signature.

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #49,192 of 91,357
Keep it short so that ppl read it. In this age of short attention span, no one is interested in reading long signature.
Sure, I would just like to add more categories and it won't let me, saying there is no space left

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #49,193 of 91,357
Sure, I would just like to add more categories and it won't let me, saying there is no space left
You can only have a set amount of lines, if you don't use a new line you can have more words in the signature.

A good one is to make it as a spoiler to not make it to big. Going to do this myself, just lazy😅

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #49,195 of 91,357
What do you guys think, which IEM might be a better complement to Trifecta: Jewel, Mentor… or even Viking Ragnar? My priority is soundstage/imaging/layering with technicalities on the highest level.

Trifecta is sufficiently unique that any number of IEMs could make a great compliment to it, depending on what you're after and what your priorities are. I would add the Fourte Blanc to the list of IEMs you should consider demoing.

Edit: Where do you live? Any chance you'll be able to make CanJam in NYC next weekend? (A week today...OMG I can't wait lol)

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #49,196 of 91,357
20230206_150806.jpg

Just a few weeks ago, I had sent out an email to Effect Audio for a chance to demo the Code 23 cable. And by the grace of @JordonEA, I’ve been given the opportunity to demo this cable for the past two and a half weeks. Since then, I’ve been trying to dissect its characteristics and it is my pleasure to announce that I’m finally ready to share a more conclusive opinion with everyone.

Here, I’ve not only analyzed the general sound signature of Code 23, but also dove deeper into comparisons with Effect Audio, PWA, and Eletech flagship lineups. Most specifically –

• Magnus 4-wire
  • Orpheus Shielding
  • Chiron
  • Centurion
  • Cleopatra II
  • Cleopatra II OCTA
  • Eros S
  • 1950s
  • Ode to Laura

If you’re interested and have some spare time to kill, please check out my Code 23 Review.
Your thoughts and opinions would be very much appreciated for a fun and intelligent discourse 😊
Fantastic review. So well written and clear and with the absolute best comparisons. Seems like a no-brainer to me, especially as it would be used at my desk so the ergonomics matter less.

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #49,197 of 91,357
Trifecta is sufficiently unique that any number of IEMs could make a great compliment to it, depending on what you're after and what your priorities are. I would add the Fourte Blanc to the list of IEMs you should consider demoing.
Thank you very much for the answer. Maybe you can tell me the difference between Mentor and Jewel according to your impressions? Of course, if you have time and want. I also had Fourte Blanc in mind, but I ruled it out (I don't remember for what reason).

I live in Berlin (Germany), and I would really like to attend the CanJam in NYC, but unfortunately it's a bit too far...

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #49,198 of 91,357
What do you guys think, which IEM might be a better complement to Trifecta: Jewel, Mentor… or even Viking Ragnar? My priority is soundstage/imaging/layering with technicalities on the highest level.

I’d say the order of magnitude in difference coming from Trifecta would be: Mentor to Jewel to Ragnar - all tick the boxes you’ve listed, with Mentor being the warmer/lushest of the three, Jewel more neutral/reference, and Ragnar brightest with arguably the highest technical capability. In my experience anyway!

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #49,199 of 91,357
Maybe you can tell me the difference between Mentor and Jewel according to your impressions?

Jewel is what I would classify as a pure reference IEM-- it's not the most exciting or emotive but is very versatile. It's a tribrid IEM but is decently coherent, has good bass. It can be a little hot in the treble at times for me. I don't recall its staging to be a particular standout feature.

Mentor is a BA IEM augmented by some pretty impressive BCD and its standout feature to me is its midrange along with its spectacular staging and imaging. Relative to Jewel I would say its more coherent. I think it some ways it would be a better candidate (relative to Jewel) as a partner for Trifecta. Both Trifecta and Mentor stand together for me in that they both have what I would call the best staging, layering and imaging of any IEMs I've heard...but they approach it differnently. With Trifecta what stands out to me is the holographic depth to the stage and placement of everything on a macro scale, whereas with Mentor it's more the localized details that impress me. For example listening to a standup bass on Mentor I can clearl discern the spatial placement of the hand on the fretboard and the hand picking the strings-- it's a positively unique experience.

As with all things I would recommend trying for yourself before committing to anything.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #49,200 of 91,357
I’d say the order of magnitude in difference coming from Trifecta would be: Mentor to Jewel to Ragnar - all tick the boxes you’ve listed, with Mentor being the warmer/lushest of the three, Jewel more neutral/reference, and Ragnar brightest with arguably the highest technical capability. In my experience anyway!
Jewel is what I would classify as a pure reference IEM-- it's not the most exciting or emotive but is very versatile. It's a tribrid IEM but is decently coherent, has good bass. It can be a little hot in the treble at times for me. I don't recall its staging to be a particular standout feature.

Mentor is a BA IEM augmented by some pretty impressive BCD and its standout feature to me is its midrange along with its spectacular staging and imaging. Relative to Jewel I would say its more coherent. I think it some ways it would be a better candidate (relative to Jewel) as a partner for Trifecta. Both Trifecta and Mentor stand together for me in that they both have what I would call the best staging, layering and imaging of any IEM I've heard...but they approach it differnently. With Trifecta what stands out to me is the holographic depth to the stage and placement of everything on a macro scale, whereas with Mentor it's more the localized details that impress me. For example listening to a standup bass on Mentor I can clearl discern the spatial placement of the hand on the fretboard and the hand picking the strings-- it's a positively unique experience.

As with all things I would recommend trying for yourself before committing to anything.
Both impressions really help me a lot, thank you.

Then the Mentor is certainly the better candidate!

Maybe there is someone who wants to sell the Mentor? 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back