The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 24, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #4,802 of 88,287
I had intended to compare just the ZEN PRO with Oriolus Isabellae tonight but couldn't resist adding IE900 to the mix. One thing is certain from the session, all incredibly capable IEMs and each have their own strengths, many of which cross over with at times minor differences. IE900 I feel retains the DD King crown, especially from an overall technicalities perspective. However, both Isa and ZEN PRO beat it when focusing on vocals, acoustic or jazz (the select few I tested tonight) - IE900 loses on the mids, and vocals in particular feel drier with less depth or presence in both male and female.

ZEN PRO versus Isa on vocals, jazz etc is a tough call, I'd probably edge ever so slightly towards Isa from a timbre perspective. ZEN PRO when it comes to electronic or indeed more energetic music (electronic or otherwise) most certainly takes the lead - far more energy down low and higher up, making for a much more engaging experience - I feel Isa is a bit dull or relaxed in comparison in these scenarios - it's a noticeable dip in energy when I switch.

IE900 has clear strong points and for me suits some genres better than others, likewise Isabellae - they make for a fantastic complementary pair. ZEN PRO does all genres incredibly well but in some cases, slightly behind both of the former.

More testing needed and thankfully I have the ZEN PRO tour unit till next Tuesday, allowing the full weekend to further evaluate. It feels like a very solid recommendation out of this selection based on its ability to present a range of genres incredibly well and where it might be outperformed, it's marginal to my ears at present. $400 less than the IE900, $300 more than Isa - I think it is well positioned from a price perspective, representing excellent value in challenging the IE900 and mostly matching Isa in areas where she shines, but absolutely beating her in many others.

I'm smitten anyway, yet another DD that I've fallen for and will certainly be purchasing... Next up though is Dark Sky - I have to try it.

20211124_202953.jpg

Great impressions man thanks-for sharing them. I didn't think I was going to get excited about anything until I hear the EXT but you've actually got me thinking rather hard about the Zen Pro. If Andrew/Musicteck starts carrying them I'll probably grab a set at some point.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #4,803 of 88,287
I thought I'll share something a bit different. The lyrics are in pesian but music is universal. It's well recorded and sounds unique.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #4,804 of 88,287
I thought I'll share something a bit different. The lyrics are in pesian but music is universal. It's well recorded and sounds unique.

"Sound" memories coming back - extraordinary country... Is that were your roots are, or maybe living there still? I'd love to go back and would prefer today over tomorrow.

Tnx for sharing,

drftr

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #4,805 of 88,287
2F743D74-E9CE-4B4E-A6B3-36B51A587FA7.JPEG

Haven't had much time on the Norma yet but I'm loving what I'm hearing so far. I never thought of the M8 as "v-shaped" before but both the highs and lows feel a dash subdued on the 25ii...but at the same time the sound has a warmish tint. Great synergy with the Reborn so far-- mids retain their overall character but the edge is taken off the upper mids a wee bit. Sound is on the whole bodied and dynamic but at the same time there is a smoothness and clarity that I love that I remember from when I demoed the SR15 once upon a time. It lacks the jaw-dropping grandness and fullness of the M8, particularly in the low end, but that was to be expected. Very happy with the purchase after my first demos and I can see this being a nice "on the go" player that I can take out with me without feeling like I'm taking a huge ding in SQ from the M8.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #4,806 of 88,287
"Sound" memories coming back - extraordinary country... Is that were your roots are, or maybe living there still? I'd love to go back and would prefer today over tomorrow.

Tnx for sharing,

drftr
My pleasure.
Yup, It's my country of origin but I live in Italy right now.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #4,807 of 88,287
2F743D74-E9CE-4B4E-A6B3-36B51A587FA7.JPEG

Haven't had much time on the Norma yet but I'm loving what I'm hearing so far. I never thought of the M8 as "v-shaped" before but both the highs and lows feel a dash subdued on the 25ii...but at the same time the sound has a warmish tint. Great synergy with the Reborn so far-- mids retain their overall character but the edge is taken off the upper mids a wee bit. Sound is on the whole bodied and dynamic but at the same time there is a smoothness and clarity that I love that I remember from when I demoed the SR15 once upon a time. It lacks the jaw-dropping grandness and fullness of the M8, particularly in the low end, but that was to be expected. Very happy with the purchase after my first demos and I can see this being a nice "on the go" player that I can take out with me without feeling like I'm taking a huge ding in SQ from the M8.
I would love to find to find a replacement for the M8 honestly, it's been driving me nuts recently. Lots of bugs and issues.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #4,808 of 88,287
UAPP does Tidal and Qobuz seamlessly with local files. Also is faster and gets around all those poo poo app and cert issues the parent service apps tend to have. Only downside is no offline DL'ing due to the service's need of security on their little file bits, so we don't steal the music.
Gotcha, unfortunately doesnt help me since I use spotify on a friends/family account, so not about to start paying for a service if I dont have to. UAPP is a really good app though.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #4,811 of 88,287
What region /city did you live if you don't mind me asking? Have you wanted to go back?

drftr
Well, my parents are from a city called Yazd , it's a historical city and a World Heritage Site according to Unesco. But I was born and raised in Tehran.
I visit frequently.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #4,812 of 88,287
I would love to find to find a replacement for the M8 honestly, it's been driving me nuts recently. Lots of bugs and issues.

I'm fortunate in that I've never had any issues like that with the M8-- I just play files on UAPP off an SD card though so I don't place many real demands on it. As far as SQ goes though for me it's still irreplaceable at this point. Maybe he M9 will be a one up but time will tell there.

I have question for Shanling M8 users as this is on my list to buy.

I've noticed many people using headphone amps with their DAP's, even the M8. Does the M8 need an amp, if so what are the benefits?

Wonderful thread, very new to the portable music scene but learning so much here.

Welcome :)

I can't say for sure but I would guess that most people using extra amps need the power to drive full size headphones. I would be surprised if there were any IEMs on the market not adequately driven by the M8. It does have its share of quirks, particularly with respect to software and processing speed-- but in terms of raw SQ it's up there with the best as far as DAPs go.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #4,813 of 88,287
I'm fortunate in that I've never had any issues like that with the M8-- I just play files on UAPP off an SD card though so I don't place many real demands on it. As far as SQ goes though for me it's still irreplaceable at this point. Maybe he M9 will be a one up but time will tell there.

I can't say for sure but I would guess that most people using extra amps need the power to drive full size headphones. I would be surprised if there were any IEMs on the market not adequately driven by the M8. It does have its share of quirks, particularly with respect to software and processing speed-- but in terms of raw SQ it's up there with the best as far as DAPs go.
I have an eye on the M9 too.
I guess most of the issues lie in streaming services and their apps.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #4,814 of 88,287
Well, my parents are from a city called Yazd , it's a historical city and a World Heritage Site according to Unesco. But I was born and raised in Tehran.
I visit frequently.
Been to both and Yazd was one of the most interesting cities I've visited. I remember it was like almost a maze - that's Yazd, right?

Edit: With the wind "towers" on the houses for aircon?

drftr

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #4,815 of 88,287

Thanks, with the many sales on now this will be my next purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back