The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 28, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #466 of 90,618
Typically death and black metal. Lots of fast double kick drum bass, tremolo guitar picking and gruff vocals.

I do also listen to jazz fusion, progressive and alt rock, but it's mostly the two metal genres noted above.
For vocals and deep bass I think Nio would be good at those. But I can see why you'd want a complementary. One that is capable of that crisp electrifying guitar licks, and faster bass. As I've never heard the Brava 2 before I can't comment much. However I've heard the Valk 2, and can remark how good the W9 bass was. It has some of that Odin quality characteristics. But the mids tho.. Sadly, was noticeably recessed.. Because of that I couldn't really enjoy the Valk so much. I guess the Brava is different, and as Rockwell mentioned you could give it a go, and decide to keep or resell it later

May 28, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #467 of 90,618
@Garney Have you considered preordering the new $600 Oriolus single DD this mid-June? I think that might be a good candidate too :) It has that viscerall DD feel to the bass, with tighter faster bass. And on top, a satisfying upper-mids to treble presence as well

May 28, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #468 of 90,618
@Garney Have you considered preordering the new $600 Oriolus single DD this mid-June? I think that might be a good candidate too :) It has that viscerall DD feel to the bass, with tighter faster bass. And on top, a satisfying upper-mids to treble presence as well

Man mid-June can't come soon enough!

May 28, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #469 of 90,618
Don't underestimate the Bravado Mkii...it's got the same driver config and tech, is half the price, and seems to get much more consistently good reports.
There seems to be very few reports on the MKII Valk which is kind of annoying but also to be expected being the upper-middle child of the lineup and a MkII. From what I have read about it however it seems to beat out its predecessor and Hero with its estat treble and even more of a bass emphasis. From what I've read on the Bravado MkII it seems like it wouldn't have the technical chops to satisfy my needs (been well and truly spoilt by Odin).

May 28, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #470 of 90,618
There seems to be very few reports on the MKII Valk which is kind of annoying but also to be expected being the upper-middle child of the lineup and a MkII. From what I have read about it however it seems to beat out its predecessor and Hero with its estat treble and even more of a bass emphasis. From what I've read on the Bravado MkII it seems like it wouldn't have the technical chops to satisfy my needs (been well and truly spoilt by Odin).

I'm still waiting for someone to a/b Bravado and Valk...though @Damz87 expressed to me he was somewhat disappointed in the Valk MKii which surprised me given how much I liked the Bravado.

May 28, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #471 of 90,618
I'm still waiting for someone to a/b Bravado and Valk...though @Damz87 expressed to me he was somewhat disappointed in the Valk MKii which surprised me given how much I liked the Bravado.
Oh really?! This is interesting... I haven't seen anything about this. @Damz87 are you able to expand on this if you have a minute? I mean, I can get a Bravado MkII pretty cheap atm too so could help saving some pennies.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #472 of 90,618
VE7 graph looks interesting!

VE7.jpg

May 28, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #473 of 90,618
@Daniel Lodewyk your Andromeda is out for delivery...that was quick :D

That was insanely fast.

I am very excited to enjoy these. I just can’t wait for my lunch break. 43 minutes, and counting.

Thank you. I hope the shipping wasn’t too $$$$. I feel as if it was personal delivered to me it was that quick.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #474 of 90,618
VE7 graph looks interesting!

VE7.jpg

Are the red and blue both the VE7? A channel matching issue at 5K perhaps?

That was insanely fast.

I am very excited to enjoy these. I just can’t wait for my lunch break. 43 minutes, and counting.

Thank you. I hope the shipping wasn’t too $$$$. I feel as if it was personal delivered to me it was that quick.

Glad it worked out...shipping anywhere within the Island is typically overnight.

May 28, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #476 of 90,618
Are the red and blue both the VE7? A channel matching issue at 5K perhaps?

Glad it worked out...shipping anywhere within the Island is typically overnight.
They are. It's not only at 5k.
Otherwise looks good to me though. The sound signature I mean.

May 28, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #477 of 90,618
They are. It's not only at 5k.
Otherwise looks good to me though. The sound signature I mean.

I'm generally not really into "referency" type signatures...but I'm game to look into anything VE puts out. I'm still waiting for the EVE21.

May 28, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #478 of 90,618
For vocals and deep bass I think Nio would be good at those. But I can see why you'd want a complementary. One that is capable of that crisp electrifying guitar licks, and faster bass. As I've never heard the Brava 2 before I can't comment much. However I've heard the Valk 2, and can remark how good the W9 bass was. It has some of that Odin quality characteristics. But the mids tho.. Sadly, was noticeably recessed.. Because of that I couldn't really enjoy the Valk so much. I guess the Brava is different, and as Rockwell mentioned you could give it a go, and decide to keep or resell it later
Yes, I really enjoy the Nio's tuning and DD bass but if I had one "complaint," it'd be the somewhat relaxed / smooth treble. It's actually a positive attribute on harsher, somewhat poorly recorded albums (which is quite common with black metal), but on albums that are well mastered / mixed, the upper mid range and treble sometimes seems to lack bite with guitars and cymbal crashes. My thought being that adding a V shaped IEM to compliment the L shaped Nio would give me a nice change-of-pace by adding more bite and sparkle to that region, while still retaining the impactful bass that I like so much.
I saw your impressions on the Isa and it certainly piqued my interest. At $600 it seems like a great performer. For single DD IEMs, my personal experience is limited to just the BLON BL-03 and the NF Audio NM2+. The BLON is a relatively fun listen and is surprisingly well tuned, but it's a far cry from the SA6 and Nio in terms of sheer technical ability (obviously). The NM2+ is quite resolving, especially for it's low price, but it's VERY fatiguing and the Chi-Fi tuning does not agree with my ears or the music I listen to.

Any sibilance or fatigue with the Isa's treble?

May 28, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #479 of 90,618
I'm generally not really into "referency" type signatures...but I'm game to look into anything VE puts out. I'm still waiting for the EVE21.
I like anything that dips in the upper mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back