The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 17, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #46,636 of 91,380
That's because your average Joe won't be able to build and iem, tune the crossover etc where as most monkeys can tweak a PC.
As a younger monkey I did just that built my own computer, I called it “screamer”. It was fun selecting all the parts, after that it was pretty easy plug and play assembly. Then years later when my son at 13 wanted to build his own gaming machine I helped him to do it, though he chose all the parts with a $1,500.00 budget not including display.

Building an IEM I could see myself doing that someday, perhaps when I fully mature to an elder ape, I doubt it would be as easy, less parts and all the tuning choices. I would imagine a lot of trial and error. Many many hours of try and try again.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #46,637 of 91,380
Phonix LE ordered! Can’t wait to hear it!

BD6FAAA3-004E-4265-851A-AE0987088B99.jpeg

Those shells are beautiful!

Hey, at least Maestro SE survived!

No time for extras.

1672364613871.gif

Yay!

I finally summarized my notes on FAudio Mezzo and concluded: It's stunning :)
Crosspost: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/faudio-discussion-and-impressions-thread.896901/page-6#post-17322639 It's describing a side by side session with Odin.

Mezzo vs Odin_2_1.jpg

I love the matching cans. Is that a limited edition of the odin?

Jan 17, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #46,638 of 91,380
As a younger monkey I did just that built my own computer, I called it “screamer”. It was fun selecting all the parts, after that it was pretty easy plug and play assembly. Then years later when my son at 13 wanted to build his own gaming machine I helped him to do it, though he chose all the parts with a $1,500.00 budget not including display.

Building an IEM I could see myself doing that someday, perhaps when I fully mature to an elder ape, I doubt it would be as easy, less parts and all the tuning choices. I would imagine a lot of trial and error. Many many hours of try and try again.
And you need tiny little hands! LOL :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jan 17, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #46,639 of 91,380
Jan 17, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #46,640 of 91,380
Can't you report an ad for overpricing? :thinking::rolling_eyes::writing_hand:
Yikes guys. That sounds like a really slippery slope. Look, I love a bargain as much as the next guy, but what's defined as "overpriced"? 100 above msrp? 1000? If a seller has a new item and factors in shipping costs and paypal fees and it comes out to above msrp, is that "overpricing" if they break even? Or if the item is a region exclusive and difficult to obtain otherwise (looking at you, Legend Evo Hong Kong Exclusive Edition)?

In the buyer/seller communities I come from, a seller lists a price and a buyer communicates with them on their willingness to budge/unwillingness to budge if they're seriously interested. As a buyer, if a seller wants a cost above what I'm willing to pay, I simply politely decline and move on without introducing drama. Same for if I'm selling. If potential buyers start reporting items because they don't like the pricing, all it tells me is that those are buyers to avoid. It's a big red flag. No offense.

Jan 17, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #46,641 of 91,380
Yikes guys. That sounds like a really slippery slope. Look, I love a bargain as much as the next guy, but what's defined as "overpriced"? 100 above msrp? 1000? If a seller has a new item and factors in shipping costs and paypal fees and it comes out to above msrp, is that "overpricing" if they break even? Or if the item is a region exclusive and difficult to obtain otherwise (looking at you, Legend Evo Hong Kong Exclusive Edition)?

In the buyer/seller communities I come from, a seller lists a price and a buyer communicates with them on their willingness to budge/unwillingness to budge if they're seriously interested. As a buyer, if a seller wants a cost above what I'm willing to pay, I simply politely decline and move on without introducing drama. Same for if I'm selling. If potential buyers start reporting items because they don't like the pricing, all it tells me is that those are buyers to avoid. It's a big red flag. No offense.
I believe their policy is to prevent flipping

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #46,643 of 91,380
Unfortunately, there is no evolutionary path ahead for birds after they evolved from dinosaurs, it's a dead end.
Wonder if there are any iem manufacturers naming their lines after dinosaurs?

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #46,644 of 91,380
Jan 17, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #46,645 of 91,380
Jan 17, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #46,646 of 91,380
Wonder if there are any iem manufacturers naming their lines after dinosaurs?
If yes, that would be awesome. I like dinosaurs 🦖 hahaha I’m always v tickled by T-Rex, with the little hands like in Toy Story 🤭

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #46,648 of 91,380

Actually it reminds me years ago while I was interested in DSLR cameras/lens, there are some guys selling their used lens above new MSRP as "world's sharpest xxx copy". This is because most lens are produced with some deviation, majority of those deviations result in not so good copies while once in a while some of those accidentally deviation created presumably much sharper copy of the lens than its design/standard.

Not sure if this may happen to IEMs. On the other hand, I guess you may sell your used IEMs above MSRP if you are famous, and maybe there are peopel would like to buy yours since it come with your ear wax :).

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #46,649 of 91,380
If yes, that would be awesome. I like dinosaurs 🦖 hahaha I’m always v tickled by T-Rex, with the little hands like in Toy Story 🤭
Would T-rex be the reassessed mids one? 🤭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back