FAudio - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #76 of 105
I wouldn't consider the Dark Sky as having forward mids, but more forward in comparison to IE900 which has somewhat recessed mids. Coupled with the treble it does give the Dark Sky a more open sound, with a taller staging. Dark Sky has more forward/intimate vocals. IE900 has more recessed/distant mids so vocals as well as instruments seem further/more spread out. I will have to A-B some more, but Dark Sky overall has the better balance, while IE900 seems to have a darker sound, skewed towards the thicker low end.
Thank's for these informations.. It really tempting me

Feb 21, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #79 of 105
Hi all, has anyone happened to listen to metal on Dark Sky?
I listened to Nightwish, Wintersun and Linkin Park from time to time. I couldn’t think of any serious issue with its tuning, though it may struggle at very fast passages with a complex mix of instruments.

Mar 8, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #81 of 105
If theres anyone who has heard both UM 3DT and FAudio Minor, please share your experience. I’m sorry if the models ask have past its relevance since its an older model

I own both. Forgive my limited articulation skills but if I'd have to explain their differences, UM 3DT with its three DDs is a little towards dry and realistic sound signature compared to DS. Good bass, good mids, likewise highs though not so extended and sparkling brilliant. Good soundstage though not so wide. It is very good and 'relevant' today as a whole for me, very much so in its segment.
This said DS belongs to another whole level. As it should, being double and more the UM 3DT price. Its marvelous single double-diaphragm DD has a more 'fun' jet technical, revealing and smartly appealing signature. As someone said, ambivalent as it sounds, it is full of details and analitical keeping a tasty 'fun' bass emphasis. To me, little expert of high end earphones, it is brilliant and enlightens my best loved FLACs and DSDs without sounding 'fake', keeping plenty of details. Sparkling highs though never harsh, clean and present mids and awesome, emphatized jet defined, textured bass, mid bass and punchy subbass.The soundstage, the positioning of instruments is like I maybe never heard so accurate, beautiful. It is not a sound signature I thought could be so 'good' for my favorite acoustic music (Jazz from the '40s to the' 80s mainly). But it is. I never touched any equalizing. It is a marvel.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #83 of 105
Sep 27, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #85 of 105
This thread is very quiet... anyone enjoy the Mezzo or Major?

Mezzo is going strong almost 2 months for me. If it can get past 3 months, that means I "really" like it :sweat_smile:

img5298.jpg

Sep 27, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #86 of 105
This thread is very quiet... anyone enjoy the Mezzo or Major?

Mezzo is going strong almost 2 months for me. If it can get past 3 months, that means I "really" like it :sweat_smile:

img5298.jpg
Would be different enough from Trailli and Hyla too…
I’ve dark sky and I found it very very good with M9

Sep 27, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #87 of 105
Would be different enough from Trailli and Hyla too…
I’ve dark sky and I found it very very good with M9

Nice! I tried Major before Mezzo but didn't have time for dark sky. Sounds like you like more neutral sound? I remember EST and TG334 sounded quite reserved after Major/Mezzo. Does dark sky sound weightier than TG334?

Sep 28, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #88 of 105
Nice! I tried Major before Mezzo but didn't have time for dark sky. Sounds like you like more neutral sound? I remember EST and TG334 sounded quite reserved after Major/Mezzo. Does dark sky sound weightier than TG334?
Dark Sky provide deeper sub bass and TG334 beafier mids.
Dark sky need powerful dap to shine and M9 is the best i tried with it.
I like Dark Sky with Electronic and Hip Hop and TG334 (new model) is a good all rounder IMHO but do the best with vocals.
Totally different iems.

Nov 1, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #89 of 105
Sorry for translation
https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/review/1427366.html

FAudio "Mezzo"

When buying slightly expensive earphones, many people will listen to them at the store. At that time, what kind of sound would you hear and decide "Let's do this!"? People have different tastes, such as "producing low frequencies" or "hearing detailed sounds", but many people will probably choose a "neutral sound" that can handle a variety of music. However, I was also curious about the tasteful, slightly characteristic sounding earphones on the sales floor.

It would be ideal if you could buy two, a neutral earphone and a distinctive flashy earphone, and use them according to your mood. But I can't afford to buy two expensive earphones, so I have no choice but to give up... That was the conventional wisdom until now. But there's a new product from FAudio that could change that. It is a model called "Mezzo" (limited to 100 units in Japan / open price / actual sales about 295,800 yen).

In conclusion, this Mezzo is a “7-change earphone” that makes you feel like you bought 3, no, 7, instead of buying an additional one.

Equipped with dynamic, BA and piezo drivers

DSC00584_s.jpg

DSC00585_s.jpg

DSC00589_s.jpg

DSC00590_s.jpg

Open the case! As expected of high-end earphones, the storage is cool, and the accessories are substantial

7Before the changes, let's take a look at the specifications. It is a universal type earphone, and the shape and design of the shell is like a custom IEM. The design is woven with green and black, a coloring that is rarely seen in earphones. He imagines a drink that is "somehow energy", but it seems to be the correct answer. This is very interesting.

DSC00627_s.jpg

FAudio "Mezzo"

fa06_s.jpg

"Inspired by a famous energy drink, it contains the feeling of wanting to support people who work hard day and night." Coloring

It's an interesting internal driver, but it's also interesting.

Dynamic type x 1 for low range, BA (balanced armature) x 1 for mid-high range, and so far it is a common hybrid, but also BA x 1 for full range and double layer piezo driver (piezoelectric element) for full range type driver) is installed.

This earphone was inspired by the electric guitar "Stratocaster", and the piezo driver was inspired by the semi-hollow body of the electric guitar. A semi-hollow is a structure in which the inside of the guitar body is not entirely hollow (full acoustic), but wood is placed in the center to reduce the hollow area.

fa02_s.jpg

Inspired by this, a double-layer piezo driver was installed to reproduce the "micro-vibration effect" brought about by the semi-hollow structure body. As a result, it is said that the speed of the rise of the sound of the earphone as a whole and the reverberation of the sound have been enhanced. Well, I can't get a good image with just words, so let's listen to this later.

People tend to focus only on the piezo driver, but this earphone is actually a dynamic type for low frequencies. Portable audio fans may have an image of the famous "Major" when speaking of FAudio, but we have transplanted a dynamic driver with a 10mm double-layer diaphragm, which can be said to be the heart of that Major. By precisely adjusting the physical parts such as placement and focusing only on the low range, ``we are demonstrating excellent performance in everything such as the speed and texture of the low range.''

mi00_s.jpg

FAudio's famous machine "Major"

In addition, a three-layer structure acoustic chamber called Triple Built-in Acoustic Chamber (TBAC) is also built in for dynamic type. It is said that it will improve the energy efficiency of the driver by optimizing the instability of the frequency characteristics and excessive air flow peculiar to the dynamic driver. I'm looking forward to listening to this.

As mentioned above, these drivers are combined with a mid-high range BA and a full-range BA to create a rather elaborate driver configuration. In order to demonstrate the performance of each driver, we introduced a crossover technology called Ture Crossover Technology (TCT). By correcting the crossover points of the frequency bands through a full-range BA, each frequency band is smoothly connected without causing wrong phase or distortion, creating a cohesive sound.

The frequency response of the entire earphone is 12Hz to 60kHz, and the input sensitivity is 108dB @ 1mW. Impedance is 20Ω@1kHz.

"Personal Tuning Control" to tune the sound boldly

The biggest feature of Mezzo is the "Personal Tuning Control" mechanism that changes the sound.

Earlier, I wrote "Earphones inspired by the Stratocaster", but the guitar is also equipped with a tuning mechanism. Mezzo's Personal Tuning Control was created as a mechanism that gives various sound characteristics to the reproduced sound, inspired by the Stratocaster's pickup tone control and switch design.

The key is the crossover technology "TCT" and full range BA introduced earlier. By linking the circuit and TCT and controlling the full-range BA, the frequency band is corrected. maintaining coherence.

fa04_s.jpg

"Personal Tuning Control" mechanism that changes the sound

It seems that this development took considerable effort, and it was found that the conventional switch circuit mechanism would affect the entire tuning phase and frequency characteristics. By repeating adjustments, he says, "I completed a mechanism that changes the sound according to the type of music."

DSC00635_s.jpg

DSC00636_s.jpg

Use the included pins to change the sound by operating the DIP switches

Adopt 4.4mm balanced input from the beginning

There are only high-end models, and the accessories are also high quality. A dedicated upgrade cable called Tone Master Shield is included from the beginning, and the core wire uses a UPOCC crystal copper conductor made in Japan that uses the golden ratio. It is silver plated and twisted together. The outer layer of each core wire is shielded with pure silver to increase its resistance to electromagnetic fields. By protecting it with a medical grade soft PVC jacket, oxidation of the cable wire is also reduced.

DSC00609_s.jpg

Comes with a dedicated upgrade cable called Tone Master Shield

It seems that the inside is also soldered by a professional technician using the highest grade Hi-Fi audio solder. By the way, this solder is also used for the internal wiring of the Mezzo itself.

DSC00592_s.jpg

4.4mm balanced input terminal

The input terminal of the cable is 4.4mm balanced. The latest CNC metal parts are used for the terminals. The connection part with the earphone is 2 pins. The length of the cable is about 120cm.

DSC00611_s.jpg

The connection part with the earphone is 2 pins

Earpiece comes with FA Premium+ EarTips (FA Vocal+, S/M/L), FA Instrument+ (S/M/L), FA Foam x 1). Also comes with a carrying case.

DSC00599_s.jpg

Comes with various earpieces

Spatial expression and low range of the best part, and "good unity"

DSC00600_s.jpg

The player uses Astell&Kern's high-end DAP "A&ultima SP2000T"

Let's listen. The player uses Astell & Kern's high-end DAP "A & ultima SP2000T", and the amplifier selects the operational amplifier mode.

First of all, in a neutral state without operating any switches, play "M Hachishichi / Kenshi Yonezu" in high resolution.

It's a song that makes you look up at the night sky, but the moment the sound comes out, you'll be overwhelmed by the spatial expression that makes you feel as high as the night sky. In that wide space, Kenshi Yonezu's vocal spreads out as if rising, and the sublime bass of strings rushes in from below. After less than a minute of listening, you'll know these earphones aren't for nothing.

In this song, there is a scene in the middle where the bass sounds crisply and continuously, and the volume of the bass is amazing. I feel it, and I have the illusion of suffocating.

Next, I played "Fujii Kaze / Matsuri", but the bass line here is also amazing. It sinks in so deeply that it echoes to the ground with ``Zushien'' and ``Guon''. You can tell by the sound that it exists as a very tight clump, "knock knack". I have never heard such a low tone with an earphone. As expected, it is a low range that transplanted the driver of the famous Major.

DSC00614_s.jpg

Once your ears get used to the greatness of the low range, you will notice the greatness of the mid-high range and the "goodness of unity" including the low range.

For example, when listening to a song like the ending theme song for "SPY×FAMILY", "Gen Hoshino/Kigeki", the thick bass is played back with a natural and warm tone typical of the dynamic type, making you feel very relaxed.

However, the timbre of the high notes, such as the electric piano that comes in midway and the chorus of the chorus, is just as warm as the dynamic type. Normally, in a hybrid that combines a BA and a dynamic type, the difference in the driver unit type is reflected in the sound, and the timbre changes between the low and high ranges, making the high notes hard and metallic. This earphone does not have that at all.

The mid-high range of this natural sound is depicted with ultra-high resolution while maintaining a warm timbre, which is difficult to achieve with dynamic models. This is pretty amazing. Not only does it play an active role in BA for the mid-high range, but it seems that the piezo driver enhances the speed and resonance of the sound of the entire earphone, so it seems to have a considerable effect. I can only say that the tuning is excellent.

I wrote a lot of detailed stories, but when I actually listened to the sound, the whole sound was well integrated from the low range to the high range. You can listen without thinking about anything simply as "earphones with good messy sound". This is proof of the "goodness of unity".

By the way, it's not hard to sound because it's equipped with a piezo driver. With the SP2000T, a sufficient volume can be obtained with a volume value of about 50-55.

try tuning the sound

Now let's tune the sound with the main feature, "Personal Tuning Control".

The three DIP switches are raised and lowered using the attached pins, but the default state is the "natural" state when all three are lowered. The aforementioned sound quality evaluation was performed in this natural state.

There are a total of 8 possible combinations. Details are shown in the figure below.

fa07_s.jpg

While listening to the same "Fujii Kaze / Matsuri" as before, I'm touching this and that switch, but this is super interesting. This is not the first time that this type of tuning mechanism has been installed, but with other products, even if you operate the switch, the range of change is small, and there are products that make you wonder, "Huh? Did the sound change?" Not a few.

However, in the case of Mezzo, this difference is easy to understand, either because the original amount of information is large or because the amount of change is large.

As a test, if you switch from natural with all the switches down to "high gain" with all the switches raised, the monitor earphone-like natural sound from before suddenly becomes a flashy and lively sound.

From the low range to the high range, each sound image is clearer, the sound pressure is richer, and it feels like the sound has more power to jump out "forward and backward". The sound is full of energy and powerful, and "Matsuri" feels good, but if you listen to rock with a sense of speed and anime songs that are hard to beat, you'll be hooked. This is great fun to listen to.

If you set only the rightmost switch to "1+2", the impression of the mid-low range is the same as "high gain", but the stimulation of the high range is suppressed, resulting in a lower center of gravity than the low range. balance. It changes to a sound suitable for hip-hop, such as a beat resounding.

If you lower the leftmost and raise everything else to "2+3", you can see that the power of the low range is not so noticeable, and the mid-high range has become relatively solid. Although it is written that it is recommended for pop and R&B, it is certainly such a balance.

What's interesting is the "1+3" mode, which lowers only the middle. The balance is close to the so-called "donshari", the low and high frequencies become solid and powerful, creating a dramatic sound. It would be nice to listen to movie soundtracks or listen to games. It's flashy, but it's a "delicious sound", and it's attractive in its own way.

In either mode, the sound is not manipulated electronically, so there is no unnaturalness in the sound after the change. Still, the amount of change is not too small, and you can clearly see that "Oh, the sound has changed." This is fun, so please try it.

After tinkering with this kind of function, there are many patterns of not using it from the factory setting, but as mentioned above, the sound after the change is natural, so we actively use it. I want to use it. In particular, "1+3" and "High Gain" sound too flashy all the time, but music that touches my heart can be played in this mode, and I usually use it in natural mode. Mastering it will be an ant.

Personally, I like the low-frequency sound that the dynamic type is in charge of, so I like the "Low Boost" tuning that raises only the leftmost switch to fully enjoy the flavor of the low-frequency range.

As an aside, when I fiddle with the earphone switch with a pin, it just feels like "hobby time" and I smile.

DSC00641_s.jpg

summary

FAudio's high-end earphones, especially the dynamic type unit of Major, have been transplanted, and the basic playback capacity is top class in the market. The coherence and the resolution of the low frequencies, which make me almost unsatisfied when I listen to it, can be said to be a "masterpiece".

This alone is worthy of note, but the additional Personal Tuning Control is really interesting, and far from being a bonus, this feature has succeeded in making the Mezzo much more appealing.

It was a neutral sound, so-called "honor student sound" earphones, but just by operating the switch, the sound changed to something like "I'm going to get off the hook a little bit", so as I wrote at the beginning, I added I feel like I bought several different earphones. This is big.

Even if you buy a high-end earphone, after using it for a while, you get tired of it, or you feel dissatisfied and buy a new one. As a result, the frequency of use will increase, and it will be an earphone that can be used for a long time. Considering that, it seems that Personal Tuning Control has the effect of improving the cost performance of earphones.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #90 of 105
As mentioned by @Ojisan , this thread is very quiet. Therefore let me share some expressions of the Mezzo when specifically hearing it side by side with Odin.

What was my intension? I did not intend to do a scientific thesis here but instead share my impressions from a day long listening session during the Christmas break. Again, this is not the attempt to come up with a fully fledged review. Instead, I was looking to simply compare the two and derive with some tangible classification for my own benefit that helps me to parametrise their characters a bit better. I therefore did some critical listening on a completely non-representative playlist, covering mainly electronical music. I did critical listening to classical tracks too and while Mezzo is different than Odin, it performs very well in that genre too. But this requires further investigation.

Mezzo vs Odin_2_1.jpg

tldr;
The result
I am very happy to have both, Odin and Mezzo. They both are great performers for electronic music but Mezzo gets 90% play time here. It might well be the honeymooning and if so, I wish it will never end. Odin is complementary and a great set for me to listen too. I don't think Mezzo is better, but certainly my current preference by quite a margin.

Disclaimer(s)
- All statements are highly subjective. Your own experiences will be different, which is good.
- All equipment is my own and I was not asked to do a write up or conclude or advertise.

Setup
I started with the N8II as a source but quickly switched over to the Matrix Mini-i Pro 2S, a handy little desktop DAC (powered by one ES9026PRO and a TPA6120A2) providing significantly better separation and dynamics over the Cayin. Probably because it can release much more juice. Despite the implemented Sabre, I never got any sense of analytical sound. Both IEMs use stock cable. After years of desperate research I finally ended up with Azla tips. I don't want to spent any more time with tip rolling so my standard go-to tips for all IEMs are Crystal and Xelastec. The Spinfits on the Odin are only for the picture

The two performers of the show
I finally found some time to do some active listening / comparison of two of my favourite IEMs. The one is a true classic, EE Odin while the other one is the latest contender, FAudio Mezzo.

FAudio Mezzo
When Andrew had his Black Friday discounts, I pulled the trigger. The MT team was super helpful, as usual and purchase & shipment were a breeze. The Mezzo had me interested right from its announcement. DD, Piezo, new technologies and IP, cool looks, "reasonable" price - many of my requirements were checked. When I first noticed the Mezzo (around mid 2022), the only Head-Fier I found owning it was @Ojisan. He was kind enough to accept my outreach and answered my questions in the most substantiated and kind way. Thanks again, you left a strong impression on me! :)

Empire Ears Odin
Not much to introduce I guess. I bought this one from Audio Essence in Switzerland approx 1.5+ years ago and it's a trusted member of my audio family, even though it turns out to be a bit of my problem child, occassionally. This is due to its high energy in the (upper) mids and treble. On the other hand, there is the legendary (sub) bass rumble that I originally fell in love with.

Technicalities: Driver structure
While the Odin is a classical tribrid, Mezzo is a special tribrid. It also comes with DD for bass and BAs but for the higher frequencies, FAudio added a Piezo instead of ESTs. The DD of the Mezzo has a dual diaphragm and I suspect it's the reason for its crazy bass. FAudio's special trick is, they add another full range BA in order to improve the crossover and thereby coherence of Mezzo. Does it work? Relying on my ears, it definitely does work. I never experienced the slightest crossover imbalance or wished for better coherence. The Mezzo sounds like a single DD with excellent resoultion to me. Oh yes, and then there are three dip switches you can emphasize low, mid and high as to your gusto. I had switched on (enhanced) mids and lows and that setup works great for me. To my ears, the changes are decent but nonetheless hearable. I'm sure you could spend days analysing the impact. And if you added cables and tips, you could spent your whole life analysing combinations...

Experiences
Bass
The Mezzo bass is so very good!! It perfectly fits my requirements. This is for both, sub and mid bass. The focus is on mid bass here though. Sub bass is there when called for and it supports the massive mid bass just so nicely but to me the mid bass is more remarkable.
I liked LX and EVO a lot too but I never was able to rate them as summit IEMs, rather specialists. Their mids (LX) and treble (EVO) did not work well for me. (The same for VE EXT which I did not own, but only auditioned extensively.) Hence I was looking for a set that satisfied my cravings for bass without sacrificing details or being a one trick pony.

Mids
There is not too much to mention for me here, other than the mids are working very well for me. Balanced. Resolving. Nicely tuned. Of all IEMs I listened to or have owned, the Phönix and the Mentor share the top score in the mids department. Mezzo is not a Mentor but I have zero complaints regarding Mezzo's mids either. Well implemented, not recessed but maybe a 1/100000th step moved to the back - which adds to its musical character and I honestly prefer it, compared to being pronounced. Fast and resolving BAs - well done, thank you. Odin's mids were discussed millions of times and I'm in team "too hot, sometimes". Even though for classical music, I think they are totally stunning. Not always for female voices though. (of course YMMV ...)

Treble
I love the Piezo of Mezzo. EST's always scare me a bit. Actually even before actually listening to them - it's my exaggerated expectation, I guess. Expectation bias. In the back of my head, I associate sharpness and piercy sounds with ESTs. Even though this bias was never really confirmed to me. Anyways, Mezzo's treble has a silky sparkling tuning that never comes even close to sounding piercing. Of course, given good source material. The highs are presented really well and "harmonic". They work well with the upper mids - again, I don't hear any transition but instead it's organic and natural. Odin's treble are superb too - I think they make up a lof of the incredible details it can present on quality source tracks.

Details
During my a/b ing with Odin, I got confirmtion Mezzo does well with details. It is highly detailed, even though electronic music often does not call for highest detail in resolution (especially compared to e.g. opera or more voice centric genres), it's nice to have it, especially when living in times where (electronic) music is compressed to death in order to sound dynamic. Competing with Odin when it comes to detail is a challenge for every set, but Mezzo did very well and I could not even say it's less detailed. Probably my perception of Odin is that it appears to unveil more details, based on its upper mids and treble focus, therefore sounding "brighter" than Mezzo. But the amount of details is there for Mezzo, even though it appears to be coloured "warmer". Details are important to my listening and I'm really satisfied. In that context: Mezzo scales massively with a powerful source - keep that in mind.

Coherence
This is where Mezzo made me fall in love. There are many multi-brid sets available and in the meantime they are made very very well, seeming to provide higher dynamic ranges than superb single-driver DDs or Planars. Multi-tier require good cross-over so that specific frequency ranges do not make music sound like something got switched on / switched off. As a result I don't want to be able to determine: "Ah yes, now Piezo kicks in." Mezzo is brilliant in that regard. It feels like a DD but with enhanced resoultion and increase dynamic range.

Neutrality
To me, Mezzo is not neutral but a slightly warmer set. Its strong bass foundation is certainly a main reason for my perception. On the other hand, sometimes warmth does not work well with treble for me and often leads to lesser perceived details. I don't get this with Mezzo. It is not an analytical set and if you are looking for a microscope, stick to Rangar and don't consider Mezzo. In contrast and as part of my testing, Odin is (way) more neutral to my ears -> not a surprise. But again, Mezzo counters this with very good details.

Summary
I like Mezzo a lot. Do I like it more than Odin? No because it is very different. And it complements Odin nicely when I want to experience bass and it's nice to have options. Truth told though: I hardly ever grabbed Odin after I bought Mezzo when listening to electronic music. When it comes to classical music, I do not share classical tracks in the track list below but I did audit some too. Classic is where I insist on impactful bass for many instruments but where I do opt for neutral tonality. And this is where Odin remains a reference for me. Interestingly enough, listening to Bizet - Carmen, Act 2, when Escamillo is having his 5 minutes of fame in the taverna, listening to Mezzo was intriguingly seductive too, so I will have to follow up here, doing additional sessions. Oh - and finally: Mezzo scales significantly with a powerful source!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tracks and details

Track
: Nhii - Tsubaki (Namito Remix) - 06:13 / Electronic, 2021 / DR 7 / FLAC (16/44.1)
Not yet on Discogs.

Mezzo
Bass: Excellent impact of the mid bass. Round with beautiful decay. Stompy but defined. Sub bass supporting but not being the main act.
Mids: Harmonic, warm. No voice to cover. Creating a sense of relaxed urgency.
Highs: Fitting, unspectacular but defined. Exactly good amount of energy. The constant hihat is never offensive and placed in the back.
Tech: Not spectactular either. The main part happens in the front / slightly above eye level. Some channel tricks increase stage. Hihats are placed on the left / right corner of the stage. Fast decay for some effects but slow, beautiful rumbling across the entire track, induced by the bass.

Odin
Bass: Sufficient mid bass. Sub bass is audible to a higher extent than Mezzo. Sounds leaner with less impact. Still very pleasant.
Mids: Prominent. The melody is carved out and stands a bit more in front of the bass, unveiling more details. Airier.
Highs: Good. Certainly spicier than Mezzo but not sharper, not piercing but with mucho energetico. Forming a nice contrast with the sub bass.
Tech: Highhats acceptable. Very defined. Stage mid / mid - not as much from above as Mezzo and a little less wide. More 3D. Great separation.

Comparison
The two sets create two very different experiences. Today I enjoyed the Odin more since it unwraps more of the sound effects and the character of the song. Odin gives the DJ experience whereas Mezzo provides the dancefloor experience, more hypnotic, more powerful and inviting you to move and to dive in. Odin is the conductor steering the trip, Mezzo is the client.

---------------------------

Track: Massive Attack feat. Ghostpoet - Come near me - 05:46 / Electronic, 2016 / DR 8 / FLAC (24/44.1)
https://www.discogs.com/release/8842063-Massive-Attack-The-Spoils

Mezzo
Bass: Oh Lord, what a bass! Thank you. This is so round and so well defined, makes me feel like I am sitting 20 cm away from a massive kickdrum. This is heaven. Supported by the hints of the sub bass, this is as good as it can get. Powerful. Priceless.
Mids: Energetic. So much that my ultrasensitive clipping indicators reported false alarms with Hope's voice thrice. A DR of 8 is a tricky indicator - everything can, nothing must. Lots of energy in the upper mids. Brilliant. Her voice comes out and fades back. 3D.
Highs: Good with just the right amount of power and nicely rounded without sounding dull.
Tech: A nice cosy orb, defined by the heartbeat of the mighty bass. The strings build a nice supporting layer, increasing stage width but not breaking the orb. Out of the small amount of details of this "simple" track, Mezzo unveils everything and provides good separation.

Odin
Bass: EE bass at its best. Deep mid bass, outstanding but still slightly subtle sub bass support. The bass defines / undergirds the entire track. Perfect carrier for the voice of Hope.
Mids: Energetic but tame. Does not uplift the strings into unpleasant areas. Organ is fine too. The female voice is put in the focus. Impressively clear during the passage when only the strings support her towards the end (04:20 ff). Very defined.
Highs: Surprisingly rounded for Odin. Massive Attack / engineering magic, proving their darker house sound that still contains so many details.
Tech: Not a technical but a very simple track (Massive Attack shall be praised. Forever.) Small, orbital stage, surrounded by the mighty Odin sub bass and the well defined mid bass. Being the ultimate clipping detector, I thought I came close to a dodgy second but no, there is none. I verified 10 times.

Comparison
Being a bass afficionado, enjoying this with Mezzo is heaven. I don't need no Mentor staging here. Instead i want the impact of the bass, thankfully accepting Massive Attack's offer. Hope Sandoval's voice floating over the carpet is so pleasing. It is detailed, rich and all of the greatness is reflected in the spectrograph (this trip was so good, I had to verify the spectrum). This directly hit my physical endorphins production facility. Beautifully mastered track.

Track: Monolink - Amniotic - 07:31 / Electronic, 2018 / DR 7 / FLAC (16/44.1)
https://www.discogs.com/release/13589285-Monolink-Amniotic

Mezzo
Bass: Bass heaven. What a slam, once it kicks in. What a gorgeous supporting sub bass leading into the track before the mid bass is finally there, almost one and a half minute in the intro. So slow, so hypnotic such a perfect collaboration between sub and mid.
Mids: Good - nothing special to mention. Male voice is clear, good timbre and a bit laid back but not recessed.
High: The clapping / hihat support is never annoying. The maracas never go on my nerves.
Tech: Small stage. Directly in your face, supported by the subtle hall effect of the main voice. More depth than width.

Odin
Bass: Very pleasant sub bass starting to weigh in at 02:03. Before, the mid bass was underwhelming, having hear Mezzo before. Afterwards the sub bass joins forces with the mid bass. The sub bass remains in the lead, again, EE at its best - this great crunch that lays the foundation of the mid bass. Good.
Mids: Lots of energy in the upper mids. Becoming a bit too intense with loud volume and in passages where the voice is not working as a lightning rod.
High: Sometimes a bit sharp. But adding to the clarity of this track. Strong contrast to phenomenol sub bass.
Tech: Even smaller stage than Mezzo. But the track is happening a bit higher than with Mezzo.

Comparison
Mezzo is great. The power of its bass (mid and sub) is irresistible. Despite its richness in bass, this song never turns into a bass soup. Odin's definition puts a focus on the upper registers of the frequency spectrum which is very pleasant. On a different day / mind set, I'm sure Odin could please me equally well, providing more elegance to this track, compared to the power of Mezzo. And this really is atrack that unveils Odin's sub bass magic to me, when it is working hand in hand with the mid bass, but remaining the star of the show, remaining superior to Odin's mid bass.

Track: Anne Clark - Our Darkness (Marc Romboy Respect Mix) - 07:03 / Electronic, 2021 / DR 7 / FLAC (16/44.1)
https://www.discogs.com/release/18928105-Anne-Clark-Synaesthesia-Classics-Re-worked

Mezzo
Bass: very pleasing mid bass, round and defined. Sub bass kicks in very subtle adding a touch of warmth. Massive mid bass. When required: good sub bass too.
Mids: super homogeneous. Anne's voice is clearly defined with the exactly correct intensity. Her voice is a bit laid back which helps creating this Bladerunner-esque scenario, supporting her storytelling (rather than singing). The sound engineer probably wanted to have Anne talking from middle / middle
Highs: Good detail but silky. Rounded.
Tech: Normal stage width. Despite the strong base foundation, left/right effects are very fast and defined well. Quite a bit of depth too.

Odin
Bass: Significantly less mid bass. Track is sub bass anaemic but in the rare situations there is some, Odin provides it and with irresistible and decent vibrato.
Mids: Good. No sharpness, no harshness.
Highs: Good - again, no sharpness no harshness. ESTs are more aggressive than Piezo though.
Tech: Anne is talking a bit outside of her cave. Significantly clearer / leaner sounding. Her voice is more accentuated. The track seems to have a slightly higher resoultion. More analytical. Less homogeneous. Mids seem to be torn out a bit - but that suits the track well.

Comparison
I enjoy Mezzo more. When cranking up the volume, the track becomes intense. Mezzo provides a very intense experience. It shares the same amount of detail as Odin but without focussing on the upper mids / treble registers. The bass slam is supporting from start to finish. Never bleeding but nonetheless creating thickness. Juicy. The Odin is lacking dynamics in comparison and is providing a very different experience. Had I not a/b'ed with Mezzo, I would have accepted Odin's drier, more analytical presentation without complaints but having Mezzo, this is how it should sound.

Track: Eli Rose - Alibi (Accoustic) - 03:19 / Genre?, 2022 / DR 10 / FLAC (16/96)
Not yet on discogs.

Mezzo
Bass: Having heard Odin first: With Mezzo, there is an extra kick on the low octaves of the piano that creates a beautiful body of the composition. This is not coloured though. Just added weight, timbre and authenticity. Long decay.
Mids: Good. Not recessed but pulled out a little less than Odin. There seems a lot happening in the 10 kHz range and Mezzo renders it beautifully and with style. Nice timbre, prepared by and supported by the DD.
High: Just nice. Exactly as expected.
Tech: Very narrow stage, even though a bit wider than Odin. Low depth but it fits the song well. Good separation.

Odin
Bass: Giving the neccessary weight to the piano and her voice. Nothing more, nothing less.
Mids: Energetic. Pulling Eli's voice a little bit in front which sounds very plesant, especially with lower registers of the piano. In combination with the brighter tones and when she is singing higher notes, this is intense, but still nice.
High: Good. No sweat attack due to harshness or piercing.
Tech: Probably one of the tiniest stages I have heard with Odin. Great note separation. Audible variations of her voice when holding a tone - nice. Good timbre, remaining organical and not turning into analytical

Comparison
Mezzo allows me to listen longer, that's for sure. It's not putting out a microscope to analyse the song down to quark level. Odin does neither but is defo more analytical. Surprisingly I find Mezzo equally detailed even though there is the silky cover over everything; let's call it musicality. Mezzo unveils the timbre more beautifully than Odin. (This certainly is not a 24 / 96 mastered track but instead somebody had just scaled it up, judging from the dynamics.)

Track: New Order - Touched by the hand of God (Twelve Inch Mix) - 07:04 / Electronic, 1987 / DR 14 / FLAC (16/44.1)
https://www.discogs.com/release/79782-New-Order-Touched-By-The-Hand-Of-God

Mezzo
Bass: It's just there, right from the beginning. Very pleasing. Supporting the track very well. No sub bass is pulled here though.
Mids: So smooth, providing the voice some relaxed authority. The slightest nuances are hearable. When the track gets busy, Sumners voice remains as the rock, perfectly tied to a mid / mid position. A micro micro metric recessed but maybe not.
Highs: Stunning. Especially when cranking up the volume a bit. Rich and round. Very harmonic but energetic. The bass delivers through the entire track making the treble musical too.
Tech: The stage is awesome. Very accentuated instruments and separation. This track has very dynamic passages, alternating with minimal passages. Both are perfectly covered.

Odin
Bass: ok. Not a bass track hence support is sufficient. It sounds "elegant" to some extent and in contrast.
Mids: The voice is coming a bit from the off. The partially whispery character is transported very well but it does peak out occassinally.
Highs: Generally good. A hand full of occassions when Sumner's "s" is on the fence of piercing. Providing great clarity to the track.
Tech: Highhats acceptable. Accentuated and visible, providing the rhythm from the far right, identifiable throughout the entire track. Quite energetic but should not be any more energetic.

Comparison
Difficult. A DR of 14 calls for technically savvy monitors. They deliver both. Both at excellent level. I prefer Mezzo by a bit though. It adds volume and musicality while never dropping detail. Separation is excellent - on par with Odin. Sumner's voice sounds richer with Mezzo which is good with this track.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back