The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 11, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #46,037 of 91,393
To the coolers that understand Japanese.

The new Sony ZX707 Walkman looks quite nice and very responsive

Or turn on CC & Translation.

I am very excited for this new Sony DAP. I did enjoy the 507, it was just a bit underpowered.

Jan 11, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #46,038 of 91,393
Is it cardas clear or clear light?
Cardas Clear. Clear Light is a 2-wire cable that PWA markets as the 1960s (though they do make a 4-wire version by doubling up the 2-wire cable). The easiest way to tell is the sleeving - Cardas Clear comes ready-sleeved and braided in the grey PVC, while Clear Light has a stiff black fabric sleeving.

Interesting fact, Cardas doesn't generally sell Clear as raw cable. To make a Clear IEM cable you have to buy rolls of the headphone cable, remove the outer sleeving and insulation layers, and expose the raw (grey PVC) cable before cutting it to length and reterminating it. That labour, more than anything, contributes to the cost of the IEM cables (compared to the still pricey but much less pricey headphone cables). This is what the Clear looks like in headphone cable form:

images (2) (30).jpeg

More info on Cardas copper: http://www.cardas.com/insights_low_eddy.php

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #46,040 of 91,393
Cardas Clear. Clear Light is a 2-wire cable that PWA markets as the 1960s (though they do make a 4-wire version by doubling up the 2-wire cable). The easiest way to tell is the sleeving - Cardas Clear comes ready-sleeved and braided in the grey PVC, while Clear Light has a stiff black fabric sleeving.

Interesting fact, Cardas doesn't generally sell Clear as raw cable. To make a Clear IEM cable you have to buy rolls of the headphone cable, remove the outer sleeving and insulation layers, and expose the raw (grey PVC) cable before cutting it to length and reterminating it. That labour, more than anything, contributes to the cost of the IEM cables (compared to the still pricey but much less pricey headphone cables). This is what the Clear looks like in headphone cable form:

More info on Cardas copper: http://www.cardas.com/insights_low_eddy.php

Great info, thank you. So sonically no difference between this and a PW. Where can we buy it in 2pin?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #46,041 of 91,393
Great info, thank you. So sonically no difference between this and a PW. Where can we buy it in 2pin?
As far as I know, zero difference (it's the exact same cable). Solder and connectors might make a difference but then you can just as easily find 'better' connectors than PWA uses too.

PM @doctorjuggles - I believe he's got enough wire to make a few more sets, after which he's no longer making them and focusing on his own cables. His workmanship is excellent and he can put any connectors you like on the cable, including Plussound connectors, Eidolic, original Pentaconn, or interchangeable connectors too.

Jan 11, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #46,042 of 91,393
Incoming Cables:
Oyaide Thetis
Oyaide Gaia
Pentaconn Miyuki
Toxic Medusa V2
Toxic Sphinx
Toxic Black Widow V3

Cables that I am thinking to acquire:
Brise Yatono Ultimate (4/8)
Brise Naobi Ultimate
Very interested, in particular by the Oyaide Cables...

Big time. 😎👍

Jan 11, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #46,043 of 91,393
Jan 11, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #46,044 of 91,393
I've done a A/B comparison between the Cardas Clear and the og 1950s a while back and I could not hear any noticeable difference between the two cables.

20221018_175637.jpg

*left being Cardas Clear (same unit @gLer has) right being the og 1950s

I highly recommend it.
Cardas Clear is a bargain value at a fraction of the Og 1950s price.

Jan 11, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #46,045 of 91,393
I only hear it upon insertion, and I don't mind it. All my EE IEMs have it. But hearing it in the track is not good..
Same, both my Odin and Evos have it and if I remeber correctly, also my LX had it. I see it on the positive side as a confirmation of good seal. Using the Odins for 2 years now without problems, so I think it wouldn’t break anything and I never read anything that it lead to real problems.

I’ve never experienced driver flex after inserting while listening to music. Not once.

Jan 11, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #46,046 of 91,393

I love this song. Years ago when we were parting ways, her life taking her to Zambia 🇿🇲 and my life continuing in Canada my ex preformed this song for me.

Great track.

Jan 11, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #46,047 of 91,393
Found these pics of the Sony on Insta.

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 10.17.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 10.18.06 PM.png
Here’s a link to Sony Asia for more info in English about the NW-ZX707.

https://www.sony-asia.com/walkman/products/nw-zx707

And the product page from e-earphone.

https://www.e-earphone.jp/products/detail/1481737/

Unfortunately, it’s only 30mW more than the 507 in Balanced HG.
This isn't a new flagship, is it? Just an alternative lower-tier model to the am2/zm2? I'd miss the 15 hour battery life difference too much I'd think, but the smaller form factor is a definite plus.

Jan 11, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #46,050 of 91,393
I've done a A/B comparison between the Cardas Clear and the og 1950s a while back and I could not hear any noticeable difference between the two cables.

20221018_175637.jpg
*left being Cardas Clear (same unit @gLer has) right being the og 1950s

I highly recommend it.
Cardas Clear is a bargain value at a fraction of the Og 1950s price.
It's the only high-end cable I'm aware of that has been directly cloned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back