The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 10, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #46,021 of 91,390
Jewel CIEMs finally made it through customs, they're pretty fat, lot going on in those shells. Aroma also scanned them into STL files for me, appreciate that. Fit is perfect, looks like they keep the end of the nozzle fat almost like they smashed it a bit to fatten it to ensure a seal, clever. Currently listening to a few of my fav genres and all sounds good. I mainly purchase IEMs for being an a tippy top technical performer that leans slightly warm then try to fine tune through sources/cables/tubes to push it into the warm/lush/thick territory. If an IEM doesn't meet my technical hurdle there's no sense trying to make it more technical, doesn't really work that way from my experience, it either is or isn't. I don't want to change IEMs often or have a case full of them and I dont want to EQ either, I want do-it-all out of the box IEMs. Looking now to demo some cables that'll add a density and note weight, syrupy thick sound to the Jewel via the suggestions here: orpheus, chiron, yatano ultimate, etc), Andrew should be able to help me out.

Currently liking this as an all-arouder with top tier technical performance.

Also I had to very carefully use pliers to remove the stock cable, incredibly tight in there. Always go clear shells at least one side, observe the handwork those people with tiny hands did for you.

My first IEM purchase in like 7-8 years because aside from VE8, nothing else I'd heard yet surpassed A18t in technical performance. VE8 was all around better but I didn't want to buy an all BA again, would happily trade anyone A18t for VE8 if anyone wants(PM me, we can workout a deal). Still gotta hear the UM stuff as well but not interested in anything all BA from anyone, when they do a solid TOTL tri/quad-brid I'll bite.

I'm so old I remember when the Spiral Ear 5 way ultimate was the TOTL.

Attachments

• signal-2023-01-10-193748_002.jpeg
    signal-2023-01-10-193748_002.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 0
  • signal-2023-01-10-193750_002.jpeg
    signal-2023-01-10-193750_002.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 0
  • signal-2023-01-10-193753_002.jpeg
    signal-2023-01-10-193753_002.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 0
  • signal-2023-01-10-193759_002.jpeg
    signal-2023-01-10-193759_002.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #46,022 of 91,390
This hobby just cannot end. 3 more cables to get. 2023 is just starting only..... 😂😂😂

IMG_20230108_154132_005.jpg
Sounds like you have to collect all the Pokemon)

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #46,023 of 91,390
Is this cable still sold/distributed ? Can you give me a link where I can request it or write? Thank you.
Here is the product page, but unfortunately, it is now discontinued. I spoke to Peter recently and he confirmed this to me.
So it remains only to look for it in the classifiels.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #46,024 of 91,390
10 years ago I would have written a wholly anti-EQ post

Today I realise a tuning choice has been made at the mixing and mastering stage right through to the end speaker or headphone drivers. The anti-EQ stance does not stand up when many multiple people have made a personal tuning decision before I ever made hardware and music purchases. Today I am at peace with tasteful or discreetly applied EQ to fix a frequency preference or flaw. No biggie in the outlined context. Applying a lot of EQ is different as there is such a thing as trying to fix a flawed headphone and/or a headphone that you do not gel with, though acknowledge some will pursue lots of correction

TL;DR: my position on EQ today is hakuna matata
I have to agree with you. There are some headphones and IEMs which really benefit from the great equalizers we have at our disposal, often in the device you're listening from.

Can't imagine listening to LCD-i4 without EQ.

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #46,025 of 91,390
I've heard a lot of DD IEMs flex from the kilobuck range all the way down to mid and lower tier IEMs. The most "flexy" IEMs I've heard so far are the EE Legend X (flexed on both ears-- a rarity for me) and the CFA Atlas, whose driver would sometimes become paralyzed and mute due to flex. I've heard manufacturers say over and over again that it's not a threat to the health of your IEMs but I dunno. I get a very small amount of flex in my left ear with Trifecta.

Can't imagine listening to LCD-i4 without EQ

Audeze actually gives you the EQ profile you need to make the IEM sound right..which is weird.

Jan 10, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #46,026 of 91,390
I've heard a lot of DD IEMs flex from the kilobuck range all the way down to mid and lower tier IEMs. The most "flexy" IEMs I've heard so far are the EE Legend X (flexed on both ears-- a rarity for me) and the CFA Atlas, whose driver would sometimes become paralyzed and mute due to flex. I've heard manufacturers say over and over again that it's not a threat to the health of your IEMs but I dunno. I get a very small amount of flex in my left ear with Trifecta.

Audeze actually gives you the EQ profile you need to make the IEM sound right..which is weird.
Weird that they didn't somehow make it sound like that out of the box...but yes, their EQ does turn it into the best portable listening experience I've had!

Jan 10, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #46,028 of 91,390
I could use some advice. Knowing what I know about my sound preferences--I like the Legend Evos, I like the Fir XE6, I enjoy a bassier signature that's reference grade, but leans towards musical--am I going to love or hate the Thummim? Alternatively, is there anything similarly "out there" in terms of IEMs with a unique signature and a cool visual aesthetic?
I haven't heard any basshead signature IEM that is overly annoying and detailed. All of them lean towards a macro sound, holistic and musical. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that it is impossible to prepare a bass IEM otherwise. So I don't think you will find Thummim annoying or overly detailed or not enough musical.
But if you can, it's better to listen before buying.

Jan 10, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #46,029 of 91,390
I'm not sure that I won't. I tried the XE6, I really liked it. But I don't know what I don't know, if that makes sense. Somehow I keep discovering a new brand I didn't know about every day, so I want to explore everything that's out there that might be in a similar vein.
It's impossible to try or even have all the IEMs that you personally think are good. Simply because it is not necessary. I know some people here have more than 10 IEMs, but do you want to be one? I am sure that such owners could, if necessary, reduce their collection relatively easily.

Jan 10, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #46,030 of 91,390
IT SHOULD BE FUN" That's right before she ends up leaving and pursuing her own talent.

I know it's silly, but the more and more high end stuff I see, the more and more I feel like a lot of it is derivative. It's controversial, but I'm ok even sacrificing sound quality (to a degree) in favor of something that manages to be experimental. I don't know about the sound quality for the Thummim, I just know that I find it visually arresting. Because hey, especially at these prices, it should be fun.
Of course, it should. But some people don't have to break windows and look for something incredibly wild to get this fun, and even more so don't have to go through a bunch of different options every day.

Do you think people who listen to things you don't like don't get emotions? Of course, they get it. Instead, I see you moving towards more and more bass.

You are absolutely right, this movement sacrifices quality. But you consciously limit your choice to just such models. And there are much less of them. And when you already have an XE6, I think you've reached the limit. You may not be able to find IEMs that have even more bass, no matter how hard you look. Equalizers remain, but even they will not be able to add it infinitely.

Of course, I am generalizing, but I hope you understand my point. Emotions is not only bass.

Jan 10, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #46,031 of 91,390
Weird that they didn't somehow make it sound like that out of the box...but yes, their EQ does turn it into the best portable listening experience I've had!
Audeze did find a way to give the i4s the eq’d sound out of the box—with the cipher cable that shipped with the i4s when they were released (from what I understand the cipher doesn’t ship with b stock units). Audeze designed the i4 driver with the goal of minimizing distortion so that it would be very adaptable to different EQs. I know it isn’t a popular opinion, but I find the i4s to still sound quite good even without eq out of a good source. They sound better with eq, but if you read comments from some on the forums you’d think that they try to murder your eardrums unless you add eq to them. For example, I’d rather listen to my i4s without eq out of a hugo2 than with it through the cipher cable. Of course everyone’s ears are different.

Jan 10, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #46,032 of 91,390
I have to agree with you. There are some headphones and IEMs which really benefit from the great equalizers we have at our disposal, often in the device you're listening from.

Can't imagine listening to LCD-i4 without EQ.
It's not terrible but at the same time it's a night a day difference. Some tracks are unlistenable without EQ however.

Jan 10, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #46,033 of 91,390
To the coolers that understand Japanese.

The new Sony ZX707 Walkman looks quite nice and very responsive

Jan 10, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #46,034 of 91,390
And jewel sounds absolutely F'ing glorious off the CDM with the Hugo2, Hugo2 alone is very nice, super technical but that added does of tube warmth is EXACTLY what Jewel needs. I've never heard CDM be so highly resolved. Turning the technical into the musical as only class A tubes can.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #46,035 of 91,390

Users who are viewing this thread

Back