The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 8, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #45,781 of 91,349
Great question! And I have in fact gone back to doing nothing else but listening and focusing on the music. Jesus we spend so much money on these sonic delights that we should do ourselves a favour and properly listen to them. Actually listen. Listen to the placement of instruments across the stage. Listen to the bow on the cello.

I do casual listening anywhere with lesser headphones but serious gear deserves serious listening. Often with eyes closed. Often with lights on low or off.
Couldn't say better!

I also listen to music a big part of the day doing something else - but actually your hear more the music than you really listen to it - and in these case I use Airpods Pro, more convenient and you have ANC which is great when commuting, especially in the subway.

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #45,782 of 91,349
As already wrote I lost my trifecta for the very high custom fee ,and invested the trifecta money to buy aroma Jewel and noble Ragnar plus thaiaudio prestige. Prestige came first then Jewel and Ragnar will arrive soon. The Prestige is not bad, too perfect and boring, like 64 audio T12t. Aroma jewel determines several wows, but is not the best for ERDM or moroccan blues. Hope Ragnar will complete my wows need.

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #45,783 of 91,349
A random question to the ‘cooler that’s been kicking around my head for a little while now.

When you’ve got free, unencumbered listening time, are you doing just that and only that? Or are you simultaneously scrolling Head-Fi, passively watching TV, working on some menial task, etc.? No right or wrong way to enjoy music and the gear involved of course, but I’m generally curious how folks go about their “listening sessions.”

Personally, I’ve been trying to make an effort to put down the phone and laptop, turn off the TV and just listen when I’ve got some actual (rare) me-time. I admittedly find it hard to fully disconnect and to only listen, but when I do it’s incredibly rewarding and relaxing.
Luckily I have a WFH job which allows me to listen to music while I’m working for most of the day. On an average working day I’ll listen for approx 5 hours.

I listen to dj mixes to discover new music, and any tracks that I really like I’ll add to my Tidal favourites library. I’ll play through my favourites library or albums or whatever on most days in-between mixes.

I only do focused sessions if I’m testing a piece of gear or A/B’ing something but most of the time I’m listening pretty casually. I try not to get too caught up in the “gear-driven listening” and try to just sit back and enjoy the tunes.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #45,784 of 91,349
A random question to the ‘cooler that’s been kicking around my head for a little while now.

When you’ve got free, unencumbered listening time, are you doing just that and only that? Or are you simultaneously scrolling Head-Fi, passively watching TV, working on some menial task, etc.? No right or wrong way to enjoy music and the gear involved of course, but I’m generally curious how folks go about their “listening sessions.”

Personally, I’ve been trying to make an effort to put down the phone and laptop, turn off the TV and just listen when I’ve got some actual (rare) me-time. I admittedly find it hard to fully disconnect and to only listen, but when I do it’s incredibly rewarding and relaxing.
I have several different modes of listening, depending on what else is going on. If I’m working or in a conference call, music is often way in the background. Other times when I’m reading online or off, music is much more present and i shift focus back and forth. Most of my more focused listening is when I’m at the gym or out for a walk, i really zone out and get lost in the tunes.
When the question relative to the one above: how do you guys like your music "consuming": by the single tracks or the whole albums? For me it was always been by the albums only.
Albums mostly. I love getting lost in an artists work for 45-60 minutes or so. There is usually a reason why they made the music in the first place and I’m always keen to gain an understanding of that for myself. That said, I also enjoy curated or algorithm-generated playlists to discover new stuff, and I seldom miss Tidal’s ”My Daily Discovery”.

Jan 8, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #45,785 of 91,349
one of my favourite song is: I See a Darkness it was written by Bonnie “Prince” Billy.

I didn’t know Johnny Cash covered it a few years later.

This is a beautiful song about depression and resilience. I definitely recommend exploring the catalogue of Bonnie “Prince” Billy.

There is also a cover from Rosalia

Jan 8, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #45,786 of 91,349
Jan 8, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #45,789 of 91,349
Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #45,790 of 91,349
This hobby just cannot end. 3 more cables to get. 2023 is just starting only..... 😂😂😂

The big thick coaxial cables seem to become the new hype (for us, and in the morning industry)...😅

Since the Cema Tianwaitian and Penon Totem (both excellent) or the DHC Complement C and Clone series (the precursors as I know 🤔), and then Liquid Links Venom, EA Code 23, PlusSound Copper and Silver plus, Satin Audio Perseus, Nightjar Mira, Nostalgia Audio Galadriel, Gandalf, etc, etc, etc... 😇😂

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #45,792 of 91,349
Jan 8, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #45,794 of 91,349

90% of my listening is just as background music, while working most of the time. The other 10% is fully immersed before bed or critical listening for impressions and review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back