The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 25, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #44,161 of 88,381
IMG_20221225_123011~2.jpg

Merry Christmas!

Dec 25, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #44,163 of 88,381
I feel the need for some real bass rumble!!!

Prio 1: Huge bass that doesn't bloat. Control would be great. More Sub-Bass than Mid-Bass orientation
Prio 2: Not too veiled treble, the more, the better. Mids, Idk too much for this use-case. Can be above or below Harman, but not too crazy in any direction.
Prio 3: Detail/Resolution nice to have but unlikely with bassy IEMs

Considering: Nio, Legend Evo

There are so many experienced IEM users in this thread. What would you do?

Dec 25, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #44,164 of 88,381

Prio 1: Huge bass that doesn't bloat. Control would be great. More Sub-Bass than Mid-Bass orientation
Prio 2: Not too veiled treble, the more, the better. Mids, Idk too much for this use-case. Can be above or below Harman, but not too crazy in any direction.

Sounds like legend EVO would be the way to go. Very good detail retrieval and unrivalled bass. From all I’ve read it seems a step above Nio

Dec 25, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #44,165 of 88,381
Prio 2: Not too veiled treble, the more, the better.
Choose  one. The Evo is the best bass response I ever heard, but the treble is almost entirely flat for me. I very much share your listening tastes, and at this point, I'm basically holding out hope that all the engineering work that went into the Odyssey leads @Jack Vang and the EE team to release an Evo with added electrostatic drivers and minimal changes in tuning. The thought of it keeps me up at night. I had the Evo, loved it, and sold it due to the lack of polish on the highs, have gone through four other top of the line bone conduction bass sets, and have yet to hear that same "wow!" factor the Evos gave me.

Tl;dr, if you want bass enchilada supreme, get the Evos, but don't go in expecting the bass to match, or even compare to, the treble. Which is a massive shame because, to me, they get so, so much else positively right.

Dec 25, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #44,166 of 88,381

Merry Christmas!
Man you put the Merry in Merry Christmas! Instant mood lifter this one! Everything from your posture, wide grin, the colourful pant, the cosy yet vivid room - just put a smile on my face immediately :D

To put my impression to words...I can say all the woodwork are giving it a pretty natural woody timbre, while the overall tonality is tilted towards warm and pleasant. Despite the warmth, it certainly is not dark, rather a very vivid and lively presentation. The stage may be intimate, but the imaging is superb, and each element does stand out brilliantly within the space it creates! Oh ya, almost forgot to mention the wonderful and pretty diverse textures it has all around!

...Is that how one describes a photo? Or did I blur the line a bit? :p

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #44,167 of 88,381
Man you put the Merry in Merry Christmas! Instant mood lifter this one! Everything from your posture, wide grin, the colourful pant, the cosy yet vivid room - just put a smile on my face immediately :D

To put my impression to words...I can say all the woodwork are giving it a pretty natural woody timbre, while the overall tonality is tilted towards warm and pleasant. Despite the warmth, it certainly is not dark, rather a very vivid and lively presentation. The stage may be intimate, but the imaging is superb, and each element does stand out brilliantly within the space it creates!

...Is that how one describes a photo? Or did I blur the line a bit? :p
Love you man!

Dec 25, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #44,168 of 88,381
Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #44,169 of 88,381
MERRY CHRISTMAS, YOU ALL !!

Dec 25, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #44,170 of 88,381
Choose  one. The Evo is the best bass response I ever heard, but the treble is almost entirely flat for me. I very much share your listening tastes, and at this point, I'm basically holding out hope that all the engineering work that went into the Odyssey leads @Jack Vang and the EE team to release an Evo with added electrostatic drivers and minimal changes in tuning. The thought of it keeps me up at night. I had the Evo, loved it, and sold it due to the lack of polish on the highs, have gone through four other top of the line bone conduction bass sets, and have yet to hear that same "wow!" factor the Evos gave me.

Tl;dr, if you want bass enchilada supreme, get the Evos, but don't go in expecting the bass to match, or even compare to, the treble. Which is a massive shame because, to me, they get so, so much else positively right.
You really should have experimented with cables before you shifted the EVO, the stock cable really doesn’t do the treble any favours. I found that the plus sound copper+ really brings up the treble to be more in line with the bass

Dec 25, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #44,171 of 88,381
Anyone out there with a, say, top 3 favourite album that nobody likes but you?

I probably have a few that nobody here cares 🤭

Solilai by Pierre Bensusan - One of my guitar favorites for a long time. The most beautiful chords/melody/rhythm with his French Algerian roots mixed with Irish/French/American folk music. This album from 1981.

Dec 25, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #44,172 of 88,381
Added to the list. Definitely flying under the radar that one. On my main tally list I have:

23x Blue
8x Court And Spark
5x The Hissing Of Summer Lawns
3x Hejira
2x For The Roses

For reference: 8x would most likely make it in or near an ultimate album top 100 entry according to critics, while 23x is probably within the top 20 or 25. I'm only familiar with the first 3 and like them a lot.

drftr

I have all and do gravitate towards Blue but my second favorite is Shadows and Light.

Dec 25, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #44,173 of 88,381
Merry Christmas Everybody!

Evo has very nice bass response, I've been enjoying them for a few days now. BCD keeps mids tidy while there's still some warmth. Treble is maybe subdued for your taste but for me the forward mids are a lovely star along with the bass. An alternative to consider would the FATfreq Maestro SE or Grand Maestro, both of which are tribrids with massive sub bass response, clinically clean mids, and also quite a bit of technical sparkle up high. The GM in particular has pretty impressive treble response above 10 kHz to let the ESTs shine. Be aware though, they are a small brand and seem to have gotten a bit overwhelmed with the recent massive interest... we're not talking Elysian wait times (yet), but be prepared for the order to take a while.

I have not heard the Nio, but I do keep hearing people say that the newly released Thieaudio Prestige has similar virtues and might even be better. Worth keeping an eye on as more impressions get out there (I'm hoping mine should be in next week).

Dec 25, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #44,175 of 88,381

I think you should take a close look at the CFA Trifecta. Check out the dedicated thread for impressions. Best bass centric and "pure fun" IEM I've ever heard. Technicalities are top knotch too. I keep a/bing with Supermoon and while Trifecta is a step down in resolution it holds its own well.

Let's merry christmas this thread to 3000! 😆✨
Cookin some Okonomiyaki now 🫕

Just over 50 pages in 6 days...we can do this!

I loved me some Okonomiyaki when I lived in Osaka

You earn your moniker!! Wonderful!

drftr

LMAO

Merry Christmas, Watercooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back