The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 25, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #44,146 of 88,382
Let's merry christmas this thread to 3000! 😆✨
Cookin some Okonomiyaki now 🫕

Attachments

• 16719448887941425828656695828181.jpg
    16719448887941425828656695828181.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
Dec 25, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #44,149 of 88,382
One of my favorite albums of the 80’s. I had the MoFi vinyl edition.
Nice... Not alone on this planet after all... :wink:

At the time he was done with the artificial sounding albums of most bands and wanted something else than the acoustically dead Vanguard studio, so he insisted the album was recorded in a classical music concert hall instead:

Screenshot_20221225-150206_Firefox.jpg

Not bad for a random pop record!

drftr

Dec 25, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #44,150 of 88,382
Anyone out there with a, say, top 3 favourite album that nobody likes but you?
Quite apt after a difficult year for our planet. Let's hope we heed the message in 2023...

images (2) (28).jpeg

Merry Xmas, Happy Hannukah, may peace and warmth be with you all this festive season, and may the New Year herald in a period of calm and rebirth. Thanks to all who have made this community the beacon of light that it is today, and to the many friends I've made along the way...cheers!

Dec 25, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #44,151 of 88,382
Anyone out there with a, say, top 3 favourite album that nobody likes but you?

One of my all-time favourites is Joe Jackson's Body And Soul, and depending on the day of the week you ask I'll rate it as my number 1, 2, or 3. Now my biggest hobby and for me the way to learn about music that I must have missed is collecting favourite album lists from pop, rock, jazz, and classical music critics. This can be all-time lists or annual lists, and I have a massive spreadsheet where I tally all those entries. Then, when I'm ready for a new deep-dive I'll sort the list for the number of entries and start with those albums that pros (that have heard probably ten thousands of albums) consider their very best. No guarantee that I like them but this approach has been extremely fruitful, especially when getting to know new genres. I also like the fact that this way I found a lot of underground stuff that was considered extremely good for only a short time but was soon after totally forgotten by history.

It's no coincidence that what I call my Essential Music List has a huge overlap with what are considered music critics' best received albums. But there is one album that absolutely nobody seems to like, and it's the only album that I absolutely adored the first time I heard it. That has never happened since 1985/86 or so. Maybe it's because the album is a mix of popular music, jazz, world, and classical music, and on top of that a mix of serious music to sit down for with dance tracks in addition to that, as such a mix may be hard to swallow for genre-based reviewers, but chances are they simply find it crap.

But for me it's the best crap ever.

I'm interested to learn if you have a similar favourite album that seems to be made just for you.

drftr

Hmm I'm sure not "to anyone but me". There are interesting records that, it seems, are not known to the general public, but they still have their fans.
But! I listen to them on HUM Dolores, which seem to fit the "nobody likes it but me" criteria. Does that count?)

Even if we're talking about non-mainstream records per se, I'm sure there are others besides me.
So at random, let it be several albums in random order.

Among them will definitely be Serpents - Anima 2020.
It is still available for purchase on bandcamp. A strange combination of vocals and electronics. These are definitely not what can be called songs in the classical sense.

Rinoa - An Age Among them 2010.
The super band that got together played for several years and dispersed, it seems, as quickly as they got together. The group includes people who influenced the entire genre of post-rock and post-metal. The only album they released was named the best album of the year by Rock Sound, so at least their reviewers know about this album.

And finally, Deftones - Eros 2007.
Okay, okay, I know this album hasn't been released, there are only scattered excerpts that I managed to catch from the Internet. PM me if you have something that looks a bit like an album haha)
However, few people know about its existence precisely, since it is not included in the official discography.

Thus, I am not attracted to the underground listener, however, the demands of quality equipment are slowly turning many of us into something like a mainstream listener - after all, the underground is quite often poorly recorded. And even if your setup plays it good, it's still not as good as something recorded better from the start.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #44,152 of 88,382
Hmm I'm sure not "to anyone but me". There are interesting records that, it seems, are not known to the general public, but they still have their fans.
But! I listen to them on HUM Dolores, which seem to fit the "nobody likes it but me" criteria. Does that count?)

Even if we're talking about non-mainstream records per se, I'm sure there are others besides me.
So at random, let it be several albums in random order.

Among them will definitely be Serpents - Anima 2020.
It is still available for purchase on bandcamp. A strange combination of vocals and electronics. These are definitely not what can be called songs in the classical sense.

Rinoa - An Age Among them 2010.
The super band that got together played for several years and dispersed, it seems, as quickly as they got together. The group includes people who influenced the entire genre of post-rock and post-metal. The only album they released was named the best album of the year by Rock Sound, so at least their reviewers know about this album.

And finally, Deftones - Eros 2007.
Okay, okay, I know this album hasn't been released, there are only scattered excerpts that I managed to catch from the Internet. PM me if you have something that looks a bit like an album haha)
However, few people know about its existence precisely, since it is not included in the official discography.

Thus, I am not attracted to the underground listener, however, the demands of quality equipment are slowly turning many of us into something like a mainstream listener - after all, the underground is quite often poorly recorded. And even if your setup plays it good, it's still not as good as something recorded better from the start.
Will look into Eros collections tomorrow or so. I have heard of it being a Deftones "fan" but I've never gone the extra mile. If I find something shareworthy I will let you know. I have a couple of bootleg sites bookmarked that sometimes comes up with great live albums and perhaps they have some interesting links.

RockSound.tv is part of my EOY lists but the album you mention doesn't ring a bell. Will look it up.

And tonight War Of The Worlds will feature for sure. Must have been 2 or 3 decades ago!

drftr

Dec 25, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #44,153 of 88,382
Will look into Eros collections tomorrow or so. I have heard of it being a Deftones "fan" but I've never gone the extra mile. If I find something shareworthy I will let you know. I have a couple of bootleg sites bookmarked that sometimes comes up with great live albums and perhaps they have some interesting links.

RockSound.tv is part of my EOY lists but the album you mention doesn't ring a bell. Will look it up.

drftr
Oh, thank you very much!
I didn't even expect it, but sometimes the local Internet can delight with surprises. For example, I have several unreleased albums that I got thanks to meeting the band (alas, not Deftones) members, but I am forbidden to even mention their existence)
So I will be grateful.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #44,154 of 88,382
Hi everyone, wasn't sure where to ask this so I'll try this thread: Musicteck: OK, no issues ordering anything from this company? Good company? Stuff sold as new is definitely new, etc? I can see that they are mentioned often in the forums and seem fine, but thought I'd make sure, as I don't really know it. Thanks.
Andrew and MusicTeck are simply TOP !
Merry Christmas watercoolers 🎅

Dec 25, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #44,155 of 88,382
Christmas No. 1 2009 (UK). Best Christmas ever....:metal:

Merry Christmas all. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #44,158 of 88,382
Thanks. Nothing from VE, 64A, Earsonics … ?

Forgot about the Campfire Audio Equinox

Maybe Unique Melody will make a custom version of the 3DT for you

The 3 manufacturers you mention all list customs that are all-BA driver or hybrid at best. Do not see 64 Audio ever creating a dynamic only monitor given their professional clients needs and TIA tubeless concept

Dec 25, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #44,160 of 88,382
5A5829F1-4E24-4230-A315-980B8242E3AF.jpeg

Merry Christmas! Happy Birthday J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back