The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 18, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #43,351 of 88,350
Dec 18, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #43,352 of 88,350
No wonder when I used WM1A with XE6, the bass just overwheled everything else and I was so surprised to see the hype of XE6 afterwards among coolers.

I've held back from looking at survey results yet but my sense is that Xe6 will take the "IEM of the year" crown when all is said and done. Given how bombastic and (to hark back to another discussion about a different IEM) seemingly counter to the historically conservative norms of this hobby the sound of the Xe6 is, I too have been surprised at its popularity which has been steadily increasing through pretty much the course of this entire ear. I must say that I'm stoked to be part of a community where it's not some sterile purely reference, harman or neutral with bass boost IEM in the top spot, which is occupied instead by an IEM that maniefsts pure personality. Hats off to the Fir Xe6.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #43,353 of 88,350
I've held back from looking at survey results yet but my sense is that Xe6 will take the "IEM of the year" crown when all is said and done. Given how bombastic and (to hark back to another discussion about a different IEM) seemingly opposed to the historically conservative norms of this hobby the sound of the Xe6 is I too have been surprised at its popularity which has been steadily increasing through pretty much the course of this entire ear. I must say that I'm stoked to be, part of a community where it's not some sterile purely reference, harman or neutral with bass boost IEM in the top spot, which is instead occupied by an IEM that maniefsts pure personality. Hats off to the Fir Xe6.
I am so happy I didn't give up on the XE6 until I was able to fully vet it.

I can't recall who proposed the question of what you learned this year. My biggest learning is not to give up on an IEM until you have fully vetted it across your music library, cables, DAPs and tips. There is quite a bit of variance in the synergies possible with anything in the signal path and you never know when the stars will align in a way to turn something average in to something truly special.

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #43,354 of 88,350

I can't recall who proposed the question of what you learned this year. My biggest learning is not to give up on an IEM until you have fully vetted it across your music library, cables, DAPs and tips. There is quite a bit of variance in the synergies possible with anything in the signal path and you never know when the stars will align in a way to turn something average in to something truly special.

Or even trying it again over the course of a few days. There is so much that could go wrong in a given moment or on a given day-- mood, constipation, stressful day, preconcieved ideas, distractions, etc. etc-- to taint a demo or a listening session if you're not in the right headspace for it. Classic case for me would be the Fir Kr5. I didn't think much of it at first, partly becasue I picked the wrong music but also because I'd been so swept up in Xe6 hype, and my own (at the time) newfound infatuation with EXT, that I listened to a few songs and then cast it aside. Subsequent demos months later had me totally re-evaluating it as it has become my favorite Frontier IEM and a very likely a top 5 overall IEM for me.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #43,355 of 88,350
G.O.A.T

D0015012-9259-432C-B771-A4D6F35328B1.jpeg

E41DB82B-8423-4CDE-B0C2-D831EDDA8E7F.jpeg

They fought alongside their childhood idol and won!
(Age diff is more than 13 years)

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #43,356 of 88,350

I’d open to getting a xe6 again, but for the main fact that the custom is much better. I don’t want to get customs for a number of reasons. I wish we could have a local FiR or at least an xe6 tour. And on that related note, I think Rockwell deserves plaudits and my deepest respect for managing IEM tours 🫡

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #43,357 of 88,350
G.O.A.T

D0015012-9259-432C-B771-A4D6F35328B1.jpeg

E41DB82B-8423-4CDE-B0C2-D831EDDA8E7F.jpeg

They fought alongside their childhood idol and won!
The decision to let Angel Di Maria off too early almost cost the championship for Agentina.

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #43,358 of 88,350
There is quite a bit of variance in the synergies possible with anything in the signal path and you never know when the stars will align in a way to turn something average in to something truly special.
In my short time at this game, this has been the biggest eye opener. It shouldn't come as a surprise, given much the same supposedly applies to home hifi, but there it tends to be exorbitantly priced interconnects or isolation. In the head-fi space, everything makes a difference, which has caught me totally off guard.

Even DAPs, paying good money for functionality, yet native 24bit 48/96/192kHz sounds more alive and present than upsampling which seems (for me) to smother that sense with quietness and a veil of softness.

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #43,359 of 88,350
I waited 36 years for this. 🇦🇷💙🤍

FB_IMG_1671402679065.jpg
FB_IMG_1671402685995.jpg
FB_IMG_1671402665160.jpg

Dec 18, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #43,360 of 88,350
No wonder when I used WM1A with XE6, the bass just overwheled everything else and I was so surprised to see the hype of XE6 afterwards among coolers.
Is there a good portable amp for the sony walkman that might be a recommended pairing? Because I've had similar issues with other earphones and am starting to wonder if it's the Sony sound signature doing it, even on direct source. Without investing in other players, is there something small and port enough (pocket-sized) that might be a good pairing?

Dec 18, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #43,361 of 88,350
Is there a good portable amp for the sony walkman that might be a recommended pairing? Because I've had similar issues with other earphones and am starting to wonder if it's the Sony sound signature doing it, even on direct source. Without investing in other players, is there something small and port enough (pocket-sized) that might be a good pairing?
C9? It is definitely not portable enough. Though for portability's sake, I would look for another DAP instead DAP/Amp combo.

Dec 18, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #43,362 of 88,350
I waited 36 years for this. 🇦🇷💙🤍

I know exactly how you feel. My childhood (American) Football team finally won a championship earlier this year for the first time as a Los Angeles Franchise.

Dec 18, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #43,364 of 88,350
Question to all of you head-fi cracks out there:

Is it possible to use
phone out (with a cable IEM) and bluetooth at the same time (With any Android DAP), so one could listen to 2 pairs of headphones (2 people) at the same time?

Thanks for your suggestions/feedback! 🙌
If you want 2 people to listen to the music at the same time you can do it on iPhone using Bluetooth and AirPods or Beats earphones

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210421

Pretty sure Android has something similar.

Dec 18, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #43,365 of 88,350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back