The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 7, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #41,971 of 90,405
I have an Odyssey incoming to pair up with the SP3000 and OTL. How are you finding the pairing?

Have you tried the Mentor with the OTL and SP3000?
It’s great! My go-to pairing.

Yes I actually tried OTL and Mentor earlier today. I thought it pairs up well. Slightly heavier note weight than stock but without bogging it down or neutering the treble. The stock cable is great though. I don’t really think it needs to be upgraded but OTL seems like a good pick if you want to change it anyway :)

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #41,972 of 90,405
Dec 7, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #41,973 of 90,405
Dec 7, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #41,975 of 90,405
It is a 4 way battle for my IEM of the year. Oriolus Traillii is out of the contention.

Aroma Jewel
Custom Art FIBAE 7 Unlimited
Noble Viking Ragnar
Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor

I see the Traillii as an Andromeda. The release of the Traillii and Andromeda sparked other brands to up their game.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #41,976 of 90,405
It is a 3 way battle for my IEM of the year. Oriolus Traillii is out of the contention.

Aroma Jewel
Noble Viking Ragnar
Can't remember what source you use now...?

Quite a difference between those 3 from what I can gather, be interesting to hear the reasons for whichever takes top spot!

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #41,977 of 90,405
It is a 3 way battle for my IEM of the year. Oriolus Traillii is out of the contention.

Aroma Jewel
Noble Viking Ragnar
fitear titan non contender?

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #41,979 of 90,405
@Doug2507 @klyzon
Edited my post. You guys reply too fast.
I use SP3000 & DX320 EX.
I wanted to include Titan but it is not accessible to most so I left it out.
Out of these I might choose the Titan lol. I do prefer the DC Ti over the Titan FWIW.

If according to general impressions (because I haven't heard it yet....) then definitely Mentor.

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #41,980 of 90,405
Out of these I might choose the Titan lol. I do prefer the DC Ti over the Titan FWIW.

If according to general impressions (because I haven't heard it yet....) then definitely Mentor.
Yea I understand but FitEar is not accessible to those outside of Asia. I prefer Titan over DC Ti because of the upper midrange.
The Mentor is a great IEM but for treble, I will take my Viking Ragnar without any hesitation.
I feel the best TOTL IEMs for versatility are Jewel & Multiverse Mentor.
1 TOTL IEM left to go for this year is the Plussound Allegro.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #41,981 of 90,405
Dec 7, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #41,982 of 90,405
I'm off to a Perpetua demo seconds from now. Have you heard them by any chance? I wonder if it's going to be the best single DD that I ever heard. But it would have to be really really good to beat Acoustune for that. More later.

drftr
Haven't had that chance, so I'm wondering what you have to say about them.
As for manufacturers that give me hope for a good DD, Dita and Acoustune are among the favorites.

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #41,983 of 90,405
Decided not to demo the Storm while in Singapore. They reached out last week but apart from not being my favourite tuning I don't have too much faith in a first model that is delayed for so long already. Not worth the risk for me. But no doubt it will be good and beautiful once it finally arrives. Which I guess is before or at CanJam Singapore, right?

drftr
Well, the first model does raise some caution, but when it's really tuned long enough, it might be worth it. Maybe.

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #41,984 of 90,405
I'm off to a Perpetua demo seconds from now. Have you heard them by any chance? I wonder if it's going to be the best single DD that I ever heard. But it would have to be really really good to beat Acoustune for that. More later.

drftr
Yes. If I have to choose I would take this over Acoustune's bright tuning any day.

The technicalities are quite underwhelming for its price tho. That was the dealbreaker for me when I demoed it. But overall very pleasant and easy on the ears with all the single DD coherency and texture goodness.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #41,985 of 90,405
I don't have that use case. Why have a device with a screen if it is in your pocket? The BTR7 is good for that use case especially since you can use your Apple watch to change tracks or adjust volume.

I hate the ports on the top. When I am sitting at a desk, the cable needs to be on the bottom so it is out of the way and I can look at the screen to change tracks.

When I am walking, I hold the dap in my hand and I want the cable on the bottom so I can look at the screen with the cable out of the way. This is how DAPs with screens were designed to operate.
I also don't find the combination of outputs and volume wheel on opposite ends of the device to be ergonomic. Of course, tactilely I like the wheel more than the buttons. But buttons would be more practical. They can be felt through the pocket without taking out the device.
And when it's in your pocket, I can't adjust the volume.

So for me the perfect option, like in LPGT - I can turn the whole interface upside down. And then the output and volume will be down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back