The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 7, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #41,956 of 90,405
That was really interesting, thank you!

Have you ever tried the Indigo? If yes, could you compare it to the Jewel? I am interested in this one and I am still thinking about selling the Indigo.
Jewel’s bass and treble aren’t as emphasised, so it sounds more like a reference monitor compared to Indigo to me. That said, Indigo sounds pretty well balanced between bass, mids and treble, just a bit more of a coloured rendition. Jewel’s mids present more forward in the mix, neutrally tuned and sound more revealing, leaning towards an upper mid emphasis compared to Indigos warmer, slightly more recessed midrange.

Some aspects from each of their technical performances are a step higher on Jewel, namely the stage size, dynamics and detail retrieval. Although, It’s a small % improvement and diminishing returns is definitely a factor, like most things in this hobby. Indigo’s imaging is world-class, and it’s no slouch in any technical aspect except perhaps the soundstage that’s on the narrower, more intimate end of the spectrum to my ears.

So if you’re looking for something more reference tuned than Indigo with tighter bass, forward mids and a more relaxed treble response with improved technicalities, then Jewel could be your ticket :)

Dec 7, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #41,957 of 90,405
@audio123 it's your turn now... ahahahah :D
Just collected my MM. Shoutout to the legendary @aaf evo for the recommendation.

IMG_20221207_182832_793.jpg

Dec 7, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #41,958 of 90,405
Jewel’s bass and treble aren’t as emphasised, so it sounds more like a reference monitor compared to Indigo to me. That said, Indigo sounds pretty well balanced between bass, mids and treble, just a bit more of a coloured rendition. Jewel’s mids present more forward in the mix, neutrally tuned and sound more revealing, leaning towards an upper mid emphasis compared to Indigos warmer, slightly more recessed midrange.

Some aspects from each of their technical performances are a step higher on Jewel, namely the stage size, dynamics and detail retrieval. Although, It’s a small % improvement and diminishing returns is definitely a factor, like most things in this hobby. Indigo’s imaging is world-class, and it’s no slouch in any technical aspect except perhaps the soundstage that’s on the narrower, more intimate end of the spectrum to my ears.

So if you’re looking for something more reference tuned than Indigo with tighter bass, forward mids and a more relaxed treble response with improved technicalities, then Jewel could be your ticket :)
Thanks again!

Dec 7, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #41,959 of 90,405
Spending another night with my favorites, amazing combo :)
Nice. The Entreq box looks interesting! The Feenbrothers Plays Dave Brubeck is a great DSD recording!

I need a single DD in my collection. If Isabella has better isolation I'd buy another as that would allow me to kill the great mids bird & the single DD bird for my collection with the same stone.
I don't recall if you have tried the Meze Advar?

2022 Year of Gear

Well, it’s been another journey around the sun while in this hobby so it’s time for me to reflect on 2022 and see what new IEMs came and went. If you’re interested, I’ve done similar posts for 2020 and 2021 which can be found here:

This year’s been a little quieter for me for new IEM purchases. This year, more than any other year in this game, I’ve been able to demo new stuff rather than playing the ‘blind buy and eventually sell if I don’t like it’ game. This is mostly due to covid restrictions being relaxed down here in Melbourne, so I’ve been able to utilise my local dealer (Addicted to Audio) far more often than in the past and probably saved a ton of cash in the process.

Furthermore, I’ve still got a few IEMs in my collection that I still love and have lasted since earlier days in this hobby, so I guess I’m moving further away from the “discovery” phase of this never-ending portable gear setup chase. I've also spent more time and funds on discovering DAPs and trying out different synergies with what I already own. Perhaps I’m finally getting close to that mythical oasis called EnDgAmE?? Probably not… But one can dream! 😉

Fir XE6 – January

It took me a while to gel with XE6. Probably the longest out of any IEM I’ve owned. Initially I found it too warm, too mid-bassy and somewhat cloudy/hazy sounding. I experimented with different DAPs, cables and used the most open APEX module (black) to counter the warmth as much as I could. But as time passed, I began to appreciate Xe6 for what it was, an extremely coloured but highly technical IEM that brings a different flavour to my collection.

Aroma Jewel – April

Jewel essentially replaced Traillii in my collection, even though they are quite different in most respects. I like how Jewel sounds so “complete”. A well balanced, reference tuned IEM with TOTL technicalities. My biggest gripe with Jewel is its treble. If I’ve been listening to energetic sets like Annihilator, it takes a while for me to adjust to Jewel’s more delicate treble tuning.

Sennheiser IE 600 - May

This was a short-lived one. Basically, it sounds like a safer tuned IE 900 that got boring to me real quick. This would be my choice if I were to recommend a high-quality IEM to someone that didn’t care about the portable audio hobby and simply wanted something that sounds great with lots of different genres. But for me, my “boring” IEM is the U12t and I’ll take that over the IE 900 10/10 times.

Noble Audio Kublai Khan – June

Easily my favourite sounding Noble to-date. I wrote a review for it here. I only sold it because it felt a bit redundant with some other IEM’s I’ve got (I prefer Indigo ever so slightly more)

Campfire Audio Supermoon – August

My first foray into single-planar IEMs, and one that’s seen plenty of hype for the latter part of 2022. I think it’s a good IEM, but I probably haven’t enjoyed it as much as others have. I like its bass and how detailed it is, but over time the mids and highs have progressively become intolerable. I’ll keep it around for now, but it may be on the chopping block some time in 2023.

Elysian Acoustic Labs Diva – September

I’ll admit it, I’m an Elysian fanboii. I probably didn’t need to add a Diva to my IEM inventory with X and Annihilator already around, but a friend was selling his one and I thought it was a good opportunity to pick one up without having to wait forever for Lee to make one. That said, I really love the Diva, especially using the maximum bass setting. It has the high-clarity Elysian house sound with a huge amount of sub bass that’s just super fun for most of my library.

Softears Turii Ti – October

This one was getting lots of hype and I’d never heard a Softears IEM before, so I thought I’d give it a crack. It’s a nice IEM, very natural sounding with impressive single-DD technicalities. The jury’s still out on whether I keep it long term, though. I only want to keep 1 high-end single DD and honestly, I prefer my IE 900 even though its not the better tuned nor more technical IEM. The IE 900 has incredibly addictive bass that’s hard for me to give up.

Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor – October

Ahhhh, my new GOAT. Love this IEM. Don’t see this one leaving anytime soon (but never say never in this hobby)

Astell & Kern x Empire Ears Odyssey – November

I’m so glad to have another EE W9+ driven IEM in my stable. I sold Evo not long after getting Xe6 earlier this year because of its mediocre treble, and thankfully Odyssey rectifies that somewhat. To my ears, Odyssey feels more like a successor to LX/LXSE than Odin or Evo. I’m enjoying it a lot, although its probably not got the attention it deserves while I’ve been on a honeymoon in the Multiverse.

64 Audio Tia Fourte Blanc - November

It’s basically a white Noir. I’ve been a Noir owner for a pretty long time now and had no intention of selling it. But it’s completely redundant now with Blanc, so it’s gone to @snapandslide 😊
I am like a kid in a candy store. A/B Mentor and Ody over some Yosi tracks and I can decide which one I like better! Maybe I should put the Mentor in one ear and Ody in the other!

Shoutout to the legendary @aaf evo for the recommendation.
Those are nice faceplates!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #41,960 of 90,405

Having listened to both, this is a very accurate description between the two to my ears as well.

Dec 7, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #41,961 of 90,405
Dec 7, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #41,962 of 90,405
2022 Year of Gear

Well, it’s been another journey around the sun while in this hobby so it’s time for me to reflect on 2022 and see what new IEMs came and went. If you’re interested, I’ve done similar posts for 2020 and 2021 which can be found here:

This year’s been a little quieter for me for new IEM purchases. This year, more than any other year in this game, I’ve been able to demo new stuff rather than playing the ‘blind buy and eventually sell if I don’t like it’ game. This is mostly due to covid restrictions being relaxed down here in Melbourne, so I’ve been able to utilise my local dealer (Addicted to Audio) far more often than in the past and probably saved a ton of cash in the process.
Really great overview. So to be clear, if you could only have one, would it be the Mentor?

And what is it about the Blanc that makes you keep it around? To me it seems like it’s older-generation tech and not on par with the current flagships — am I wrong?

Dec 7, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #41,963 of 90,405
Refilled my First Aid kit with goodies in Singapore and am currently rushing for the exit of the rabbit hole! Just saw the exit signposted to the left, but also to the right so I found that a bit funny. Not sure... For now let me take the channel to the left as that's where they're playing Hotel California as background music. Nice!

20221207_202109.jpg

Had a brief but very very nice meet-up with @klyzon. It's really crazy with these Watercoolers but from the first minute again it's like we've been friends forever! And I guess Jeff acting as the ultimate lubricant 🙃 between all of us here really made us just that. Really incredible...

Quick shout out to @metaljem77 who is going to fight with klyzon over who is going to keep my Sultan box for a bit "just in case I change my mind". Now, why on Earth would I want to do that?? Brilliant idea nevertheless!

drftr

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #41,964 of 90,405
Really great overview. So to be clear, if you could only have one, would it be the Mentor?

And what is it about the Blanc that makes you keep it around? To me it seems like it’s older-generation tech and not on par with the current flagships — am I wrong?

Thank you! To quote my own post a few days ago:

Haha hmm… I probably would go with either Jewel, Mentor or X/Annihilator if I were to go down to 1.

1 IEM would mean making a sacrifice somewhere and Jewel would make the least sacrifices on paper but I’d have to consider what works best for the majority of my music library, so based on that I’d probably lean more towards X or Annihilator.

I think Annihilator is a better all-rounder than X so let’s just say Annihilator :D

The Fourte Blanc and 64 Audio hybrids in general are a good example of IEM's not necessarily needing exotic driver configurations or high driver counts to sound extremely technical. I think Fourte (OG, Noir and Blanc) and Trio hold up very well against the current TOTL IEMs for technicalities. Whether the tuning works for you is another matter, lol. They're pretty unconventional (Trio to a lesser extent). I like Noir/Blanc specifically for it's unique, "fun" tuning coupled with its TOTL-level technicalities. I haven't got any other IEM that sounds like it. But I think if someone were looking for a safe or closer to reference tuned IEM, they'd be better off looking elsewhere. :)

Dec 7, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #41,965 of 90,405
Refilled my First Aid kit with goodies in Singapore and am currently rushing for the exit of the rabbit hole! Just saw the exit signposted to the left, but also to the right so I found that a bit funny. Not sure... For now let me take the channel to the left as that's where they're playing Hotel California as background music. Nice!

20221207_202109.jpg

Had a brief but very very nice meet-up with @klyzon. It's really crazy with these Watercoolers but from the first minute again it's like we've been friends forever! And I guess Jeff acting as the ultimate lubricant 🙃 between all of us here really made us just that. Really incredible...

Quick shout out to @metaljem77 who is going to fight with klyzon over who is going to keep my Sultan box for a bit "just in case I change my mind". Now, why on Earth would I want to do that?? Brilliant idea nevertheless!

drftr
That’s a nice look on the Sultan.

Dec 7, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #41,966 of 90,405
That’s a nice look on the Sultan.
Grey & black. There's a few left and they go for the regular price. I actually wanted to reach out to you as these kill for prog. Knowing you're not a bass head but still want excellent DD bass that's another plus. They have relatively warm but very open and aggressive enough mids to grab you by the throat. Last but not least they use ESTs that are not tuned like most (that I normally find on the whispy side).

drftr

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #41,967 of 90,405
I’m so glad to have another EE W9+ driven IEM in my stable. I sold Evo not long after getting Xe6 earlier this year because of its mediocre treble, and thankfully Odyssey rectifies that somewhat. To my ears, Odyssey feels more like a successor to LX/LXSE than Odin or Evo. I’m enjoying it a lot, although its probably not got the attention it deserves while I’ve been on a honeymoon in the Multiverse.
I have an Odyssey incoming to pair up with the SP3000 and OTL. How are you finding the pairing?

Have you tried the Mentor with the OTL and SP3000?

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #41,968 of 90,405

20221207_202109.jpg

drftr
always a pleasure to meet a fellow cooler. This picture looks so good! Hopefully I will be able to travel like you do later on in life :beyersmile:

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #41,969 of 90,405
Further impressions to follow, but for now I will say that Mentor wasn’t love at first listen, I dedicated about two hours last night and now again this morning before I start work - let’s just say with some hours on the clock, if I still owned Traillii and Jewel, at least one if not both would be in trouble… Phenomenal IEM.

CD7DBC55-5183-41F8-BB16-15E3905AB3E6.jpeg
Ruh roh....

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #41,970 of 90,405
Just landed, given Mentor arrived yesterday, I’m going to park these till Christmas Day - I’m a big kid when it comes to Christmas, and love a new toy under the tree 🌲

99F818A2-6CCF-4405-92FC-BFC9ED871BF1.jpeg
Have you tried AK T9IE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back