The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 29, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #41,176 of 90,291
Nov 29, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #41,177 of 90,291
I really hope I can receive STORM this year. I've seen pictures of the shells and it makes some Sumitt-Fi (Jewel, Traillii, etc) look like some cheap Chi-Fi. If they sound as good as they look, they really have a winner in hands.

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #41,178 of 90,291
I think Annihilator has the best and most finessed tonal balance of any IEM I've ever heard (for my tastes etc. etc.). It's just so captivating to listen to and never strikes a sour not to me. Yes the bass quality could be better...but I'd still take it over any BA bass I've ever heard.

In other news my final audio quest in the dying days of 2022 is for a new DAP (to purchase probably in a couple weeks or closer to Christmas) to add as a more powerful but still portable compliment to my SR25ii, which I still love. My main requirements as far as IEMs go is that it elevates Annihilator and doesn't exaggerate any of Supermoon's "quirks". Contenders so far:

Kann MAX
M6 U
OG N8 (used)
WM1Z (used)
DX240 + Amp 8Mkii
Would you consider a used or heavily discounted RS6?

drftr

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #41,179 of 90,291
Nov 29, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #41,181 of 90,291
I really hope I can receive STORM this year. I've seen pictures of the shells and it makes some Sumitt-Fi (Jewel, Traillii, etc) look like some cheap Chi-Fi. If they sound as good as they look, they really have a winner in hands.
They've got big hype and price tag to love up to. I'm hoping they meet expectations!

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #41,182 of 90,291

Jewel looks cheap even compared to Traillii imho. Storm seems like it could be amazing for those after a pure reference sound. It doesn't sound like it's for me personally...YMMV etc.

Would you consider a used or heavily discounted RS6?

drftr

Yes should have put that one on the list. I'm not in a position to buy yet.

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #41,183 of 90,291
Given the option between the UM Mest Indigo and the Empire Ears Legend Evo, which of the two might you recommend? I want the wider soundstage but impactful bass that seems to be missing from a lot of my jazz tracks. Planning to pair with a Sony NW-WM1AM2, and I just caved and ordered a Dunu Hulk Pro cable under their black friday special so will likely be swapping any stock cable with that (I like the Dunu cable ergonomics, and the right angle jack fits nicely with the Sony player).
Between the two, Evo though I recommend keeping your options open to other IEMs.

Going to +1 @HiFiHawaii808 Noble Kublai Khan recommendation. @Damz87 and @jwilliamhurst have posted excellent reviews of the Kublai Khan:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/noble-audio-kublai-khan.25955/reviews#review-29582

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #41,184 of 90,291
I think Annihilator has the best and most finessed tonal balance of any IEM I've ever heard (for my tastes etc. etc.). It's just so captivating to listen to and never strikes a sour not to me. Yes the bass quality could be better...but I'd still take it over any BA bass I've ever heard.

In other news my final audio quest in the dying days of 2022 is for a new DAP (to purchase probably in a couple weeks or closer to Christmas) to add as a more powerful but still portable compliment to my SR25ii, which I still love. My main requirements as far as IEMs go is that it elevates Annihilator and doesn't exaggerate any of Supermoon's "quirks". Contenders so far:

Kann MAX
M6 U
OG N8 (used)
WM1Z (used)
DX240 + Amp 8Mkii
Just bite the bullet and grab the 1ZM2. Save yourself trouble until the next Sony DAPs! :L3000:

or RS8, although that is hardly "portable".

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #41,185 of 90,291
Storm seems like it could be amazing for those after a pure reference sound. It doesn't sound like it's for me personally...YMMV etc.
Wasn't there also a single DD IEM from them coming? Or maybe it's already there, not sure.

Given the Storm's reference nature it would've been nice if I could have demoed it next week when I'm in Singapore. Too early really.

drftr

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #41,186 of 90,291
Just bite the bullet and grab the 1ZM2. Save yourself trouble until the next Sony DAPs! :L3000:

or RS8, although that is hardly "portable".
For me, Annihilator is best with RS8 and Supermoon is best with 1ZM2. If I had to choose one DAP for both, I would probably pick 1ZM2.

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #41,187 of 90,291
Given the option between the UM Mest Indigo and the Empire Ears Legend Evo, which of the two might you recommend? I want the wider soundstage but impactful bass that seems to be missing from a lot of my jazz tracks. Planning to pair with a Sony NW-WM1AM2, and I just caved and ordered a Dunu Hulk Pro cable under their black friday special so will likely be swapping any stock cable with that (I like the Dunu cable ergonomics, and the right angle jack fits nicely with the Sony player).
If fit and budget allows definitely give the EXT a go, seems to fit all of your descriptions about bass and fun.

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #41,188 of 90,291

Kann MAX
M6 U
OG N8 (used)
WM1Z (used)
DX240 + Amp 8Mkii
Campfire use the Sony so 1Z + Supermoon. As for the Annihilator, I prefer DX240 + Amp 8Mkii.

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #41,189 of 90,291

The irony behind this statement for me is that I thought Storm looked like something straight off a Moondrop assembly line in terms of aesthetics. Regardless, sound is what’s important to me anyways. Hopefully it lives up to the hype surrounding it. Looking forward to hearing it myself whenever it’s ready!

Nov 29, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #41,190 of 90,291
The irony behind this statement for me is that I thought Storm looked like something straight off a Moondrop assembly line in terms of aesthetics. Regardless, sound is what’s important to me anyways. Hopefully it lives up to the hype surrounding it. Looking forward to hearing it myself whenever it’s ready!
I liked the look of the Jewel, Traillii not so much especially that Oriolus font. Both are miles away from something like the XE6 tho.

btw I noticed that your RS8 is already gone.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back