The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 10, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #39,691 of 87,761
1668112062020.png

Another day with the Turii Ti. Today I used them outside. Normally I prefer listening at home but the Turii Ti sounded better to me outside :ksc75smile:

The main issue for me still is the treble. Treble busy tracks doesn't get resolved cleanly. I am at the moment playing around with EQ, especially around 10 KHZ where the peak is. But I figured out that it gets much "crispier" and cleaner if I tame down 5,5 KHZ by 6 DB. Will observe this.

Anyhow if we stop nitpicking for a moment, I was able to explore it and think more about it today when listening to a lot of tracks. I compared them yesterday to the ZMF headphones. Maybe I didn't find the right words, but the quality they share is that they draw your attention to the music and not to the gear. A quality that I would not attribute to a lot of headphones. The natural timbre and somewhat analogue sound is probably a key to that. That also leads to a more "speaker-like" presentation. I also like the bass a lot. Although it is not a hard hitting bass with subbass extension, it is very enjoyable as it is very light-footed and sensitive which give is it a unique quality that definitely separates them from other sets.

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #39,692 of 87,761
Guys may you please advise what is considered now to be a top copper cable with tight mids and bass?
I’ve finally came to a conclusion that Kublai Khan sounds the most engaging way using 1960 Traillii cable and N8ii in class A amplification, but maybe there are better cables currently with more precise controlled and not relaxed mid and low regions?

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #39,694 of 87,761
PW Orpheus

I was able to finally hear this mythical magical copper cable, all thanks to @SteveK27

I really enjoyed the cable. I’ll get the bad out of the way first….The upper mid energy increased with Traillii and made me wince on multiple occasions…for me that is a hard pass.
The good…. I did however notice right away a tightening to the entire sound signature, blacker background for notes to pop out at you, better sub bass extension which provided a better low end separation into the mids.
The Meh…The mids magic of the bird was a little lost due to the tightening, less analog sound compared to stock cable and a tamed treble response. The upper midrange enhancement besides the ridiculous price is the deal breaker for me…I prefer stock cable.
I have been a cable believer since I started the hobby however after having many expensive cables and budget cables I’m finding the gap to be extremely minimal where spending thousands of dollars is just uncanny to me. I’d rather throw that money at transducers. I’ve also been spending a lot of time with TGXEar @tgx78 buds and the timbre these buds produce is completely the best I’ve heard in this hobby. Puts things into perspective for me, especially when it comes to where I’m spending my hard earned $$……YMMV and all that

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #39,695 of 87,761
Guys may you please advise what is considered now to be a top copper cable with tight mids and bass?
I’ve finally came to a conclusion that Kublai Khan sounds the most engaging way using 1960 Traillii cable and N8ii in class A amplification, but maybe there are better cables currently with more precise controlled and not relaxed mid and low regions?
What would be your budget? I find it more challenging to do cable rolling with KK

Nov 10, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #39,701 of 87,761
PW Orpheus

I was able to finally hear this mythical magical copper cable, all thanks to @SteveK27
Thank you for leaving your impressions!
I appreciate it and hopefully others will leave theirs as well for the benefit of the whole community 😊

Bought a new car today…

D44D127F-5A1E-4737-80CC-533323B41B47.jpeg

Congratulations on your new car!!
It looks awesome and quite tempting to ride it myself haha

Nov 10, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #39,702 of 87,761
Well it better be below < 2k 🙂
Then I’d suggest have a go with 1950s shielding, seems to me to bring the brighter tones under control, without affecting the bass impact and clarity.

Nov 10, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #39,703 of 87,761
Nov 10, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #39,704 of 87,761
Bought a new car today…

Congratulations Jeff! Must be a challenge managing your time with the new car and all your other incomings!

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #39,705 of 87,761
Indeed they do man I've always thought of this hobby as a journey-- so long as one is able to stay true to their own heart and perceptions there's no telling where they'll wind up.

I'm with you! I never thought I would enjoy all the bass I experienced this year (Xe6, Kr5, EVO). It does feel like a constant moving target, haha :sweat_smile: the learning experience...

The biggest revelation for me is how good quality treble tuning can negate forward upper mids. Gaea is a really treble forward and rich IEM...but I never find it fatiguing, peaky, pierce or anything like that.
I'm not sure if treble tuning goodness = negative forward upper mids. There is something mysterious about how upper mids comes out (or lack thereof) as a function of treble and overall balance. Maybe the manufacturers already know how this works and are laughing at us with all our debates 🤣 I'm guessing there are resonant frequencies where we would perceive an IEM to be forward vs good upper mids, especially since these are the most sensitive frequency range for humans.

In any case, my treble head tendencies have not changed. I'm looking forward to seeing a piezo+EST+open BA treble one day...:nerd:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back