The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 17, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #38,251 of 88,381
Give it up, bro, Traillii is out of reach for Supermoon... :wink:

I know...I just want 100 votes because I like nice round numbers.

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #38,254 of 88,381
It's reassuring to see that if Supermoon would make 1 vote less than Traillii you wouldn't accept 101 votes!

drftr

Supermoon is fine where it is...which is a decent achievement in its own right. I'm happy for as many votes as people want to contribute...but my OCD would be very satisfied if we made it to 100.

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #38,255 of 88,381
Since we are on the topic of Supermoon in the house of Jeff by the Watercooler :wink: let me share something interesting. As we all know, CFA Supermoon was designed as CIEM, uni was just a limited quantity run in Asia and of course used for demos. I got my hands on uni Supermoon, been enjoying it, but eartips selection was a bit of a challenge since it can make or break the mid-treble, going from harsher and fatigue to more natural and tolerable. Narrow bore tips are definitely no-go. Wider bore tips are more welcome, Azla Sedna (short stem version) or JVC Spiral Dot, but still can get a bit too resolving.

1666016165695.png

Then, I remember Ken saying that for a sound sig closer to custom, you need to try foamies. Right away I tried Symbio F, my go-to foam eartips. It gives you the sound similar to wider bore opening silicone eartips, so I was OK with it. Also, keep in mind, I'm talking about the sound relative to my ear anatomy and how I hear it, just sharing my experience :) Was listening to Supermoon last night, looked through the Campfire packaging, and realized that CFA also included their own foam marshmallow eartips. Decided to try it and what a difference!!! I mean, it was so noticeable that I decided to graph Azla Xelastec vs CFA Foamies. With foamies you do get a bit deeper insertion into the measurement coupler and deeper insertion into my ear as well. But still, take a look.

CFA_Supermoon_eartips-FR01.jpg

Now, wondering, if anybody tried both, uni and then got custom, which set of eartips made it closer in sound to the custom?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #38,256 of 88,381
Since we are on the topic of Supermoon in the house of Jeff by the Watercooler :wink: let me share something interesting. As we all know, CFA Supermoon was designed as CIEM, uni was just a limited quantity run in Asia and of course used for demos. I got my hands on uni Supermoon, been enjoying it, but eartips selection was a bit of a challenge since it can make or break the mid-treble, going from harsher and fatigue to more natural and tolerable. Narrow bore tips are definitely no-go. Wider bore tips are more welcome, Azla Sedna (short stem version) or JVC Spiral Dot, but still can get a bit too resolving.

Then, I remember Ken saying that for a sound sig closer to custom, you need to try foamies. Right away I tried Symbio F, my go-to foam eartips. It gives you the sound similar to wider bore opening silicone eartips, so I was OK with it. Also, keep in mind, I'm talking about the sound relative to my ear anatomy and how I hear it, just sharing my experience :) Was listening to Supermoon last night, looked through the Campfire packaging, and realized that CFA also included their own foam marshmallow eartips. Decided to try it and what a difference!!! I mean, it was so noticeable that I decided to graph Azla Xelastec vs CFA Foamies. With foamies you do get a bit deeper insertion into the measurement coupler and deeper insertion into my ear as well. But still, take a look.

Now, wondering, if anybody tried both, uni and then got custom, which set of eartips made it closer in sound to the custom?
Yep. The Supermoon is extremely sensitive to tips, cable and DAP. It was definitely harsh to me when using N8ii.

After trying all combinations, here is were I ended up as my optimal listening combo.

tips: Azla SednaEarfit Max
cable: Effect Audio CLEO II
dap: M9

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #38,257 of 88,381
Yep. The Supermoon is extremely sensitive to tips, cable and DAP. It was definitely harsh to me when using N8ii.

After trying all combinations, here is were I ended up as my optimal listening combo.

tips: Azla SednaEarfit Max
cable: Effect Audio CLEO II
dap: M9
Would like to try Supermoon with Sp3k before decide to order CIEM. For your Z1R, is it a lot better with leonidas cable?

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #38,258 of 88,381

I used the foam tips exclusively to get an idea of the sound when I posted my impressions, but on the CIEM it sounds like there's some more treble energy from what I remember. I think to get the closest fit to the CIEM it's not a matter of just foam tips but also the ability to get the IEM nozzle closer towards the eardrums as you say, which wasn't possible with my ears. The distance between the nozzle and my eardrums is definitely less compared to the universal since I got Artist Fit as well, and so maybe the Audiophile Fit is closer to foam tips since the stem length is shorter.

Since we are on the topic of Supermoon in the house of Jeff by the Watercooler :wink:

Sounds like @Rockwell75 is a GoT character. :dt880smile:

Great impressions !! Helped me make my decision on the mentor to be honest :). Do you have an preference in prog rock or metal ? If so what's your go to iem ?

I don't listen to much metal these days, much less prog rock so I'm not sure sorry. When in doubt, I use Jewel.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #38,259 of 88,381
Would like to try Supermoon with Sp3k before decide to order CIEM. For your Z1R, is it a lot better with leonidas cable?
It's great with Leo II Octa. Very happy with it.

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #38,260 of 88,381

I ordered a Custom and I still have the Universal. I will a/b test them to see if I can get a tip match.

Oct 17, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #38,261 of 88,381
I used the foam tips exclusively to get an idea of the sound when I posted my impressions, but on the CIEM it sounds like there's some more treble energy from what I remember. I think to get the closest fit to the CIEM it's not a matter of just foam tips but also the ability to get the IEM nozzle closer towards the eardrums as you say, which wasn't possible with my ears. The distance between the nozzle and my eardrums is definitely less compared to the universal since I got Artist Fit as well, and so maybe the Audiophile Fit is closer to foam tips since the stem length is shorter.

I don't listen to much metal these days, much less prog rock so I'm not sure sorry. When in doubt, I use Jewel.

Yep, insertion depth is also important in this case. For example, with silicone tips I need to use a bigger size to get a better seal (due to my earcanal pipes), and as a result I can't shove them deep enough. With soft foamies, I can go one size smaller (med instead of large) and still get a good seal due to the foam expansion in my ear canal.

Oct 17, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #38,262 of 88,381

I've never been able to use foams for want of a seal in my right ear.

Oct 17, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #38,264 of 88,381
96 votes now...aiming for 100...just 4 more...we can do this.

https://forms.gle/Ju4mb29SfLt8xsbS9

Top 5

Traillii - 31
Jewel - 27
Xe6 - 24
Supermoon - 20

IER-Z1R - 17
Indigo - 15
a/u12t - 13
Odyssey - 13
EXT - 11
Odin - 11
Evo - 11
Mentor - 10
Phönix - 10
Kr5 - 10
Annihilator - 10

Mason FS - 7
Kublai Khan - 7
Elysian X - 6
Andromeda - 6
Legend X - 6
Turii Ti - 6
ie900 - 6
Ragnar - 5
Trifecta - 4
LCDi4 - 4
Pathfinder - 4
Red Halo - 4
KSE-1500 - 4
Fourte Noir - 3
u18t - 3

Elysium - 2
DC Ti - 2
ie600 - 2
Turii - 2
Xelento - 2
Erlkonig - 2
MESTii - 2
VE8 - 2
u/a18s - 3
Jolene - 2
Perpetua - 2
Szalayi - 2
e5000 - 2
EST50 - 2
Monarch II - 2
Atlas - 2
Wraith - 2
Fourte - 2
Trio - 2
Dorado 2020 - 2

a3000
Ace
Advar
Buds2Pro
Eden
Encore
Gaea
Humdolores
Isabellae
Mason3
Mezzo
Ne4
o400
Serratus
Sharona
Solaris
Storm
u6t
Volt
Zen Pro
V16
FD5
Aurum
V14
Phantom
Phantom LTD
Sultan
Fibae 7
FW10000
FA9
Diva
Twilight
N8
Nio
Ara
Vega 2020
Em5813
JVC FW1800
A8000
M4
RS10
FH9
MD4
Legend
Anole VX
Lyra II
Fibae Black
Fibae 6
Maestro Mini
Andro Gold
Twilight

Oct 17, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #38,265 of 88,381
96 votes now...aiming for 100...just 4 more...we can do this.

https://forms.gle/Ju4mb29SfLt8xsbS9

Top 5

Traillii - 31
Jewel - 27
Xe6 - 24
Supermoon - 20

IER-Z1R - 17
Indigo - 15
a/u12t - 13
Odyssey - 13
EXT - 11
Odin - 11