The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 1, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #36,901 of 88,527
Oct 1, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #36,902 of 88,527
Got in a new companion today:

I demoed them before this summer and didn't like them very much, but I wanted to give them another chance at home with my own equipment and for a longer time.

Initial impressions:
  • Reference tuned in an exciting way (not like u12t :sweat_smile: )
  • The bass is clean, tight, and does not bleed into the mids, but I miss a bit of texture. I definitely heard better bass, e.g. from the Odin
  • Detail retrieval is very good, TOTL territory, better than Odin in that regard? Not sure about that. Either less or same I would say.
  • Mids and treble are nice, nothing pops out. It's not a silky treble though (that some estats produce). The upper mids come through here and then, but not annoying or fatiguing. Definitely less noticable than Odin.
  • Timbre is very good, but for me it is not close to Traillii. Traillii is just unreachable in that regard
  • Soundstage is wide and very good
For me, coherency and the overall smooth tuning of the Jewel is outstanding. It combines high technicalities (maybe not the best in every regard) but packages into a clean sound that sounds consistent.

Let's see how they will evolve over time.
Wow, quick sale. I'd strongly suggest putting a decent amount of hours on them before parting ways, they're quite raw out of the box and settle in around the 150hr mark (give or take).

Ignore, just saw its a reshell so I'd assume they've got plenty hours on them already. GLWS!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #36,903 of 88,527
Wow, quick sale. I'd strongly suggest putting a decent amount of hours on them before parting ways, they're quite raw out of the box and settle in around the 150hr mark (give or take).
Yes quick sale, it's a very good IEM, not questioning. But I like the tuning of the Traillii more and I'm looking at another opportunity regarding an AMP and need funds.

Oct 1, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #36,904 of 88,527
So, with all this talk about Mentor MM and questions I saw about comparison to Traillii, here is something you might want to see. Of course, graphs don't tell you the full story, but...

UM_Mentro_MM_vs_Oriolus_Traillii.jpg

Oct 1, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #36,905 of 88,527
So, with all this talk about Mentor MM and questions I saw about comparison to Traillii, here is something you might want to see. Of course, graphs don't tell you the full story, but...

UM_Mentro_MM_vs_Oriolus_Traillii.jpg
Slightly lower on 2-3k is nice for my upper mids sensitivity.. 😊

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #36,909 of 88,527
...or live with the judgement of our loving little community...

Quartered.png

drftr
It's hard to see in the drawing but the cable on his left wrist is the Orpheus, on his wight wrist the Ode To Laura, on the left ankle is Chiron, and on the right ankle we find First Times. Never before have cables divided such a respected family member more.

drftr

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #36,910 of 88,527
It's hard to see in the drawing but the cable on his left wrist is the Orpheus, on his wight wrist the Ode To Laura, on the left ankle is Chiron, and on the right ankle we find First Times. Never before have cables divided such a respected family member more.

drftr
The brise cable Yatono ultimate comes in and takes the head !

Oct 1, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #36,911 of 88,527
Did the Supermoon hype train even leave the station before people changed their tickets to the MM? 🤪

Given how many people bought customs last weekend the train has long since left the station I think. For some reason a lot of the hype and enthusiasm for the Supermoon has been conveyed privately-- the comparative lack of buzz in this thread and the SM's modest placement in the last poll are by no means an accurate measure of the actual level of excitement and regard for it at the moment. I think it's still early days for the Supermoon. I stated before that it is a market disruptor. IMHO it is a $1.5K IEM that on its own terms can stand toe-to-toe with anything else on the market right now-- this has been a shock to the system and I think it will be some time before the dust and emotions settle and a full and proper view of the SM and where it stands is possible. Let's see where things are at in about a year from now. If in that time it is released as a universal I believe it will be a phenomenon that could turn the whole market on its head. Now, I am not saying it is the best at everything or that it will be all things to all people-- or even that there won't be people lukewarm with or that flat-out don't like it (as there are for all IEMs, even the almighty Bird). In particular I believe Supermoon's 1-2-3 punch of bass performance, coherence, resolution (and overall technical chops really) presently place it in a league with the very best. Having recently attended CanJam I am in the fortunate position of having heard just about all the IEMs that are being hyped right now-- and can thus keep my own council without having to rely on that of others. There are some damn fine IEMs coming out-- Ragnar, Mentor (and I'm sure Odyssey will have its time in the spotlight once it finally lands in a couple weeks) deserve all the hype they are getting -- but the Supermoon is still my pick irrespective of price and I'm sure it will be for some others also. Personally planar tech in IEMs is the thing I'm most excited about right now-- I hope more and more premium brands have their crack at one.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #36,912 of 88,527
For every hyped model there must be a killer. When I first got into audio, it was customary to kill the Sennheiser CX300. When I used Andromeda, every new model that got hype was an Andromeda killer. Well, it's probably only natural that we've now entered a world where everyone promises to release the Traillii killer.

However, I do not think that there is a fear of losing something new here. When there is a model that satisfies more than completely, I'm just a little annoyed, and not interested in the next "killers". A few times I even listened to them for interest and it was - meh. In my opinion, the new product should be self-sufficient, not advertised as "better Andromeda than OG Andromeda".

Of course, there is a pragmatic approach. That is, if the model suits me in terms of tuning and it is of sufficient quality, the decision-making algorithm comes into play.

1) Is the new model a similar tuning?
2) Is it noticeably better?
3) Should I sell what I have to loose a significant portion of the sales money and then add the amount out of my pocket to finally get a new model?

As a rule, I find myself in a situation where moving forward is not really justified.
This is either far from my tuning to give up the comfort zone (the IEM that I already have).
Or the increase in sound is not large enough per unit of the additional cost. That is, what I sell will cover only half of the cost. Or even less.
In addition, I often choose things that are not quite popular. I mean both IEMs and cables. Therefore, it usually takes a long time to sell them and the loss of value is significant. So I stick with what I have.
This is all so… sensible! What are you even DOING here!?! 😉

It’s hard sometimes to fight the human weakness urges, but overall I try to be a disciple of this type of philosophy.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #36,914 of 88,527

drftr
I'd like to put my money on Chiron please 👋

That cable's depth is like abyss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back