The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 29, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #36,766 of 91,352
Currently no DAP. Was using a Shanling M7 but the heat dispersion through the chassis didn’t sit well with me. Wonderful sound though and very powerful. Before that I used a Cayin N6ii R01.

I’ve mainly used a desktop system albeit a bit of overkill for iems but hey! I quite like it. So currently using a HiFiMan EF400 R2R dac/amp and I’m loving it.
Nice! As long as you enjoy the music. :)

I think heat dispersion is getting better with newer generations, though it can still be a problem with portable, especially with how powerful the amps are getting. They all are pushing the envelope as much as can be done IMO.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #36,767 of 91,352
Why not Singapore?
It was the one IEM that I missed when in Singapore and they even had it in a shop that I visited to pick up my FiR modules for the U12t that I happened to sell the very next day. And unlike the FiR dealer in Kuala Lumpur they actually also had the KR5 (which I wasn't interested in at the time). I wasn't going to go back for just the Perpetua but I started asking around here for KR5 impressions toat least create the option. So yeah, good point!

Having the 18t as a custom, and I spent some quality time with the KR5, I personally think you'd find the KR5 too bright. I found the bass to be fantastic, punchy and articulate, less blooming and bleeding into the lower mids like the XE6 does. It is not warm, it's very clean and clear with great mids with nice weight. But the treble, at least for my taste is just too energetic. I almost bought it, as a custom too, as I loved the lower end and especially with the Atoms you can change it around, but i couldn't handle the spicy top end.

To be very honest, the description you gave sounds like the Jewel more than anything. I came from the 18t and Traillii and the Jewel was the perfect match for me.
Tnx much for that! I wouldn't want the sound to be any brighter than the U18t knowing that I'm already trying to tone that down a bit. What may be different is that you are using CIEMs. But you probably still heard both as UIEMs, right?

As for the Jewel, I'm not sure man... It didn't resonate well with me. I admit it could be due to my underpowered source or the cables that I tried on them but I was literally shocked when I demoed them. And that was for both the good (which turned out to be great) and the bad (which turned out to be terrible). I wrote:

Aroma Jewel
Unnatural first impression, reinserted eartips 3-4 times as I couldn't believe it, need meatier mids, incredibly detailed, superb imaging, superb dynamics, veiled muddy upper mids, disconnected s sounds in female vocals, thumpy bass

So it probably has to be circumstantial. But then again, they're not cheap! And if I have to invest in a much better cable and a much better source then the total price simply becomes too high a risk during my travels. I mean, it would get close to a, dunno, 7-8 grand setup or so. That is not even borderline irresponsible to carry around in my backpack and leave unguided in hotel rooms, dormitories, busses, etcetera. I would simply never recover from the loss. Financially yes. Mentally no.

drftr

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #36,768 of 91,352
I looked for charts to see if what I described at disconnected "s" sounds for me for both the Jewel and the Traillii had any merit and I found them on HBBs Squig link.

Jewel.png

Just wondering if the 4-8 kHz dip of both the Jewel and Traillii are causing that disconnect as I found it most noticable in female vocals and piano sonatas. Although it's not the same measuring setup I see that Crins measurements indcate that this might be the case when compared to the U18t as it looks much more filled in.

U18t.png

drftr

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #36,770 of 91,352
I looked for charts to see if what I described at disconnected "s" sounds for me for both the Jewel and the Traillii had any merit and I found them on HBBs Squig link.

Just wondering if the 4-8 kHz dip of both the Jewel and Traillii are causing that disconnect as I found it most noticable in female vocals and piano sonatas. Although it's not the same measuring setup I see that Crins measurements indcate that this might be the case when compared to the U18t as it looks much more filled in.

drftr
I have not heard disconnected “S” sounds on the Traillii. So first time I have heard this take on it or the Jewel. I assume you have one? I would never go by anything BGGAR says.

I wonder if you would actually like the Elysium? Have you heard it? Just a thought.

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #36,771 of 91,352
Sep 30, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #36,772 of 91,352
I have not heard disconnected “S” sounds on the Traillii. So first time I have heard this take on it or the Jewel. I assume you have one? I would never go by anything BGGAR says.

I wonder if you would actually like the Elysium? Have you heard it? Just a thought.
Ha ha! No I restricted myself to his charts. I have seen some of his videos when I re-entered the hobby last year and found them rather amusing. Just not very useful. I do think it's a good thing reviewers use very different styles. That it doesn't ring well with me isn't relevant.

I loved the Elysium for its mids but didn't care too much about the rest of the package. I thought I was going to walk away with that one before demoing it based on the excellent write-ups of @SBranson and @jwilliamhurst but ultimately couldn't.

drftr

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #36,773 of 91,352
Jim and his wife are "empty nesters" so they make the shows more often than I do. I'll probably be at the show in Singapore.
Hope to see you here. Love the 8a that I got years back

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #36,774 of 91,352
I bought one IEM because of HBB aka BGGAR's recommendation, and that IEM is collecting dust. HBB also raved about FatFreq Maestro mini, I demoed during Canjam and was not impressed.

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #36,775 of 91,352
@Scuba Devils you have my interest piqued with Turii Ti. My only apprehension is bass quantity. IE900/Supermoon is really my bottommost bass quantity baseline. Any less I'll certainly respect but likely won't enjoy.
I second this... for Turii Ti
I've been lurking here for awhile and got to say you guys here are somethin' else, really enjoy reading all the posts here. Although it takes quite sometimes catchin up on you guys if I was out of the forum for just a couple of days :). And the best way to catch up is while listening to some tunes, it is very enjoyable indeed.

@Scuba Devils do you by any chance listens to chamber music and jazz vocals?
Thanks guys, and to cap things out, getting to see you all from the CanJam pics really great too, this is the coolest place to hang out :beerchug:

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #36,777 of 91,352
Yay! More love from Indonesia! Makes me think Indonesia is probably the second best represented Asian country on the Watercooler after Singapore? And we don't even sell my favourites gado-gado or durian here 😋

drftr
Hi there @drftr I been reading your posts hanging around in Indonesia and the regions, made me smile when your post pick up some local jokes in Solo :relaxed:

Gado2 ya? Have you try gado-gado with the sauce made from cashew nuts? Its my fave too. Where about are you know? still in S.E. Asia?

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #36,778 of 91,352
Hi there @drftr I been reading your posts hanging around in Indonesia and the regions, made me smile when your post pick up some local jokes in Solo :relaxed:

Gado2 ya? Have you try gado-gado with the sauce made from cashew nuts? Its my fave too. Where about are you know? still in S.E. Asia?
Penang, Malaysia. Just had a durian ice cream which certainly smelled like it but lacked a bit of taste. That means the search continues - woohoo! Nothing beats durian from Kalimantan...

drftr

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #36,779 of 91,352
Penang, Malaysia. Just had a durian ice cream which certainly smelled like it but lacked a bit of taste. That means the search continues - woohoo! Nothing beats durian from Kalimantan...

drftr
did you tried the musang king at Penang ?

https://goo.gl/maps/mnFN1bKKFcjgFyi96

Last time my mom bought from Mr. Atan at Central Durian.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #36,780 of 91,352
I second this... for Turii Ti
I've been lurking here for awhile and got to say you guys here are somethin' else, really enjoy reading all the posts here. Although it takes quite sometimes catchin up on you guys if I was out of the forum for just a couple of days :). And the best way to catch up is while listening to some tunes, it is very enjoyable indeed.

@Scuba Devils do you by any chance listens to chamber music and jazz vocals?
Thanks guys, and to cap things out, getting to see you all from the CanJam pics really great too, this is the coolest place to hang out :beerchug:

Welcome - once you transition from 'lurker' to 'participant', the risk of spending money increases significantly - sort of a statement of intent :)

I'm sorry but I don't listen to either. I do listen to some chilled jazz, but nothing vocal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back