The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 30, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #36,781 of 91,357
did you tried the musang king at Penang ?

https://goo.gl/maps/mnFN1bKKFcjgFyi96

Last time my mom bought from Mr. Atan at Central Durian.
I think I saw it from the bus this morning after visiting Durian Dynasty. Didn't know I could get them in town as they are banned in many places.

For the uninitiated: Durians smell like my feet after a hard day of trekking in the jungle but the taste is amazing. The smell is actually so bad that you are not allowed to take them into any hotel, bus, or train. On my previous trip to Java someone managed to smuggle one on the train and a group of people started complaining (no they were not Dutch...). After a brief discussion with the other passengers and the ticket controller they decided to simply eat it and share it with all people in the wagon! Try that in the Netherlands and you end up with not 1 but 2 knives in your back.

On at least Borneo and Sumatra they have huge markets where you can only buy this particular fruit. It looks a bit like jackfruit but is a little smaller and is more spikey.

Durian.jpg

drftr

Sep 30, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #36,782 of 91,357
do you by any chance listens to chamber music and jazz vocals?
If you don’t mind, perhaps I could chime in on this since I do listen to both chamber music and jazz vocals. They sound spectacular for these two genres. My favorite album to test chamber music is Arabella Steinbacher’s Four Seasons Piazzolla. As for jazz vocals, Melody Gardot, Carmen Gomes, Jacintha, Diana Panton, Patricia Barber all sound full of emotion.

In fact, they’re also excellent all rounder. This morning I listened to Let It Be 2021 remix version, and it’s just full of dynamics. Guitar riffs on I’ve Got A Feeling sounded energetic and lively.

Sep 30, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #36,783 of 91,357
I think I saw it from the bus this morning after visiting Durian Dynasty. Didn't know I could get them in town as they are banned in many places.

For the uninitiated: Durians smell like my feet after a hard day of trekking in the jungle but the taste is amazing. The smell is actually so bad that you are not allowed to take them into any hotel, bus, or train. On my previous trip to Java someone managed to smuggle one on the train and a group of people started complaining (no they were not Dutch...). After a brief discussion with the other passengers and the ticket controller they decided to simply eat it and share it with all people in the wagon! Try that in the Netherlands and you end up with not 1 but 2 knives in your back.

On at least Borneo and Sumatra they have huge markets where you can only buy this particular fruit. It looks a bit like jackfruit but is a little smaller and is more spikey.

Durian.jpg

drftr
The best local durian I’ve tasted are the ones from Sidikalang, a town in North Sumatra.

But of course the GOAT is Musang King and now there’s the Black Thorn (BT). But both are mighty expensive though. Here in Jakarta, for the BT you need to pay around $70-90 for one whole fruit.

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #36,784 of 91,357
The best local durian I’ve tasted are the ones from Sidikalang, a town in North Sumatra
Sidikalang does ring a bell but from my travel map it looks like the closest I got were Kabanjahe and Dokan in 2016. To be honest other than the traditional houses in Dokan I can't remember a single thing :frowning2:

drftr

Sep 30, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #36,785 of 91,357

Durian.jpg

drftr
Musang King is like the Traillii of Durians

Sep 30, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #36,786 of 91,357
RE the lack of reviews for the Dita Perpetua I'm sure we're suffering from @Wyville not being around here much nowadays; both for his love for Dita and his excellent reviews. And of course his fantastic classical music write-ups.

drftr
Thanks for the compliments! Would have loved to review the DITA Perpetua and of course went grovelling to DITA for a review, but it didn't happen. Probably because I don't review as regularly anymore as I used to. I had planned on doing more of the classical music write-ups, as those are a lot of fun and I had my eye on a few good IEMs to include. Unfortunately, those are also a lot of work and I have been preoccupied with finishing up my first book. So reviewing is more incidental these days.

Sep 30, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #36,787 of 91,357
Thanks for the compliments! Would have loved to review the DITA Perpetua and of course went grovelling to DITA for a review, but it didn't happen. Probably because I don't review as regularly anymore as I used to. I had planned on doing more of the classical music write-ups, as those are a lot of fun and I had my eye on a few good IEMs to include. Unfortunately, those are also a lot of work and I have been preoccupied with finishing up my first book. So reviewing is more incidental these days.
Wow, I didn't expect you would actually read this and I hope all is fine over there! Perhaps I should "complain" at Dita that this must be the only TOTL IEM of any brand for which zero English reviews can be found (except for 2 here on Head-Fi) and come up with "a" suggestion 😎 Maybe the Perpetua is that good they don't want to part with it!

drftr

Sep 30, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #36,788 of 91,357
I guess for me if the tuning is excellent, then the technicalities must be excellent as well.
For me and for everyone else, tuning is important. However, perhaps the most important quality.
That is, if headphones A and B have the same quality, but one of them suits my taste better, then the choice is simple.

Moreover, for me, the whole audiophilia mostly boils down to finding something that will be my cup of tea, but at the same time increasing the quality.

But in reality, some IEMs suit my taste. But at the same time, there are IEMs B, which are noticeably better, but not quite my taste, so I will rather choose them, if only this deviation of tuning is not too great.

For example, as a rule, I choose an honest equal tuning. Technical monitor. So, as a rule, I had such things. And the Traillii tuning is not quite my sound. I would have liked more expressive treble and less emphasis on bass. However, because they are technically better than anything I've listened to before, I chose them. And I adjusted the tuning a little for myself due to tips and a cable, and partly got used to it.

At the same time, if it were something bass-headed like, say, an EVO, then I would be left with a lower quality, but 100% my sound.

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #36,789 of 91,357
Wow, I didn't expect you would actually read this and I hope all is fine over there! Perhaps I should "complain" at Dita that this must be the only TOTL IEM of any brand for which zero English reviews can be found (except for 2 here on Head-Fi) and come up with "a" suggestion 😎 Maybe the Perpetua is that good they don't want to part with it!

drftr
I think we should write a petition to Alex @twister6 to he get these IEMs, listen to them for us and share his impressions))

In fact, when I wrote reviews, I contacted many companies, but usually the answer was that they could not help me. And this is logical. When there are a few good reviews, there is no point in making a lot of hype.
So I bought a lot of things with my own money.

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #36,790 of 91,357
I think we should write a petition to Alex @twister6 to he get these IEMs, listen to them for us and share his impressions))

In fact, when I wrote reviews, I contacted many companies, but usually the answer was that they could not help me. And this is logical. When there are a few good reviews, there is no point in making a lot of hype.
So I bought a lot of things with my own money.

I did borrow it a while ago, didn't collect impressions before sending it back and don't trust my ears to go by memory. The shells were a bit heavy for my ears, just a matter of a personal preference. But I did capture FR of Dita Perpetua, for anybody who is interested:

Dita_Perpetua-FR01.jpg

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #36,791 of 91,357
I did borrow it a while ago, didn't collect impressions before sending it back and don't trust my ears to go by memory. The shells were a bit heavy for my ears, just a matter of a personal preference. But I did capture FR of Dita Perpetua, for anybody who is interested:

Dita_Perpetua-FR01.jpg
The recurring theme in the few reviews that I read seemed to be that it's totally unimpressive in comparison to other IEMs (as proven by your measurements!) but that every IEM you hear after it simply sounds wrong. To most that may sound like an insult and a big No. To me it sounds like an invitation to demo them for sure.

drftr

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #36,792 of 91,357
About to leave the office, 7pm here so I'll finally have Turii Ti back in my ears by 9pm at best - hopefully I still like them :L3000:

IE600 and P6K on desk duty - I certainly couldn't have Turii with me... colleague asks a question, only to be greeted by a spaced out facial expression... sorry man, I'm lost in my music and breathless :)

I do love this combination, great all-rounder.

20220929_181756.jpg
Does that mean that the Turii isolates better as well or is it just that you get sucked into the music to the point of becoming absent minded?

Anyway your favourites seem to change on a monthly basis. Not long ago it was the TZ700, then the Twilight. Speaking of which will you keep both the Turii and the Twilight?

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #36,793 of 91,357
If you don’t mind, perhaps I could chime in on this since I do listen to both chamber music and jazz vocals. They sound spectacular for these two genres. My favorite album to test chamber music is Arabella Steinbacher’s Four Seasons Piazzolla. As for jazz vocals, Melody Gardot, Carmen Gomes, Jacintha, Diana Panton, Patricia Barber all sound full of emotion.

In fact, they’re also excellent all rounder. This morning I listened to Let It Be 2021 remix version, and it’s just full of dynamics. Guitar riffs on I’ve Got A Feeling sounded energetic and lively.
Have you compared it to Twilight, by any chance? I heard the Twilight a couple weeks ago and loved it. ‘Didn’t have as much bass as I’d typically like, but it had aces elsewhere. It’s one of the most 3D or tactile-sounding IEMs I’ve heard in recent memory, and I just spent 4 days in Singapore. :D

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #36,794 of 91,357
Does that mean that the Turii isolates better as well or is it just that you get sucked into the music to the point of becoming absent minded?

Anyway your favourites seem to change on a monthly basis. Not long ago it was the TZ700, then the Twilight. Speaking of which will you keep both the Turii and the Twilight?

In terms of your first question, the latter.

I love single DDs, I think that's pretty clear in terms of where I focus my attention and its very much a journey of discovery - most of which has involved moving up to various higher tier sets, and indeed they typically become flavour of the month - that might change over time, nothing is set in stone in this hobby. I don't intend to sell Twilight or TZ700. Ideally I'd keep them all, but finances often dictate otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back