The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 30, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #36,811 of 91,355
How's everyone's isolation with Turii Ti and Twilight?
On my OG isolation is not great, part of its charm, and partly why it sounds like an open back speaker system with more of an endless stage that disperses outward. For the folks concerned with isolation as a major deciding factor, it could be a deal breaker for you. Its obviously not a problem for me but I don't go out and about with them too often.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #36,812 of 91,355
I did borrow it a while ago, didn't collect impressions before sending it back and don't trust my ears to go by memory. The shells were a bit heavy for my ears, just a matter of a personal preference. But I did capture FR of Dita Perpetua, for anybody who is interested:

Dita_Perpetua-FR01.jpg
I don't really trust the graphs, as they are not comprehensive enough, but it's better than nothing.
Thank you!

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #36,813 of 91,355
- Red Halo FE funds going straight to either Mentor Multiverse or Annihilator but I think it will be the Mentor as it's the best tuned iem I've heard to date - 13 years in this hobby. I think it's the closest to sounding like a X9000/ Susvara in voicing (not just FR, but especially texturally and underlying tonality). It's simply incredible.

I have the Mentor demo on me at the moment. I am working on a short write up/impressions, but it’s IEM of the year for me and something I have to own. It’s my favorite UM IEM by far and a joy to listen to. The smooth cohesive sound with top tier technicals is incredible.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #36,814 of 91,355
Sometimes just gotta take everything with a grain of salt and take a step back from the hype. I appreciate bringing awareness to each of the IEMs, but may not believe it’s the miracle IEM they’re portrayed to be.

Approximately 3 people sharing their enthusiasm for an IEM I don't think is fair to label as 'hype'. This thread is a great place to discuss a shared passion, and 99% of the time, in good spirits. I'm not claiming any 'miracle', simply articulating my appreciation and love for sets I explore.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #36,815 of 91,355
How's everyone's isolation with Turii Ti and Twilight?
On my OG isolation is not great, part of its charm, and partly why it sounds like an open back speaker system with more of an endless stage that disperses outward. For the folks concerned with isolation as a major deciding factor, it could be a deal breaker for you. Its obviously not a problem for me but I don't go out and about with them too often.

Yeah absolutely, definitely not a good bet if isolation is a high priority - and indeed, that is clearly how they achieve such an open, massive stage.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #36,816 of 91,355
The recurring theme in the few reviews that I read seemed to be that it's totally unimpressive in comparison to other IEMs (as proven by your measurements!) but that every IEM you hear after it simply sounds wrong. To most that may sound like an insult and a big No. To me it sounds like an invitation to demo them for sure.

drftr
Tend to agree.
Because it usually happens when the model is set up for a correct and natural submission.
When you start listening, IEMs doesn't stand out. No impressive accents or anything. Without "flavor enhancers". Just as is.

But if you go back to the others, you can hear that in 99% of cases, taste accents lead to a decrease in realism and naturalness. And when that's the case, trying to hide the problems with an accent doesn't sound very good anyway. Wrong.

Or I'm just looking for an excuse, since I've had almost the entire range of the company at various times, so I know their signature sound well and I really like it.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #36,817 of 91,355
I have the Mentor demo on me at the moment. I am working on a short write up/impressions, but it’s IEM of the year for me and something I have to own. It’s my favorite UM IEM by far and a joy to listen to. The smooth cohesive sound with top tier technicals is incredible.
I trust your opinion strongly from all the years on Head-Fi.

Also was told from the UM rep at the booth that it’s been years in the making and his personal favorite from his brand. That says a lot because they’ve made a lot of hits.

Looking forward to more of your impressions + comparisons if possible :)

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 30, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #36,818 of 91,355
Approximately 3 people sharing their enthusiasm for an IEM I don't think is fair to label as 'hype'. This thread is a great place to discuss a shared passion, and 99% of the time, in good spirits. I'm not claiming any 'miracle', simply articulating my appreciation and love for sets I explore.
Keep the thoughts flowing, so much fun reading them. I automatically temper the enthusiasm since the initial infatuation phase can be disproportionately strong, not sure when we enter hype land. Probably after a couple thorough positive reviews are done and still more people are jumping in with the best I ever heard type of statements.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #36,819 of 91,355
Keep the thoughts flowing, so much fun reading them. I automatically temper the enthusiasm since the initial infatuation phase can be disproportionately strong, not sure when we enter hype land. Probably after a couple thorough positive reviews are done and still more people are jumping in with the best I ever heard type of statements.

For sure, and I've noted before my glass half full initial impressions with new sets, happy ears kick in and I find things I don't like as much as I get to know the set - and indeed maybe genres they don't suit etc.

Supermoon is a great example of a recent set that just keeps getting more love, and is clearly a fantastic set - definitely more than enough impressions now to validate, and continues to make me want a set!

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #36,820 of 91,355
Sometimes just gotta take everything with a grain of salt and take a step back from the hype. I appreciate bringing awareness to each of the IEMs, but may not believe it’s the miracle IEM they’re portrayed to be.
The way I see it is that a lot of people here are in this hobby as much for the hobby itself as for the music. So the fun of it is often chasing new gear. Just gotta remember though that most of the large major changes people describe are really much smaller and more marginal than often described, and often "better" really comes down to personal preference. Theres a lot of hyperbole in this hobby, I think by necessity, but to anyone trying to be pragmatic, getting swept up in things is often not the best.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #36,821 of 91,355
Some are more emotional than others.
I also have a few friends who buy and sell units a few times a week and every time they get them it's the best sound in the world.
And when they are with him for a few weeks, it is love for a lifetime. But three weeks pass, and the old love already loses in comparison with something new.
However, these people like the constant search more than anyone else and they need a constant love, a constant honeymoon.
And the stronger the emotions, the faster they pass.
So I think our hobby is still more psychology than anything else)

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #36,822 of 91,355
The way I see it is that a lot of people here are in this hobby as much for the hobby itself as for the music. So the fun of it is often chasing new gear. Just gotta remember though that most of the large major changes people describe are really much smaller and more marginal than often described, and often "better" really comes down to personal preference. Theres a lot of hyperbole in this hobby, I think by necessity, but to anyone trying to be pragmatic, getting swept up in things is often not the best.
It depends on the prudence.
That's why I avoid categorical terms like the best sound in the world - obviously it exists only as a spherical horse in a vacuum.
However, when emotions are overflowing, it is difficult to choose words. In addition, less attention is paid to possible shortcomings.

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #36,824 of 91,355
Some are more emotional than others.
I also have a few friends who buy and sell units a few times a week and every time they get them it's the best sound in the world.
And when they are with him for a few weeks, it is love for a lifetime. But three weeks pass, and the old love already loses in comparison with something new.
However, these people like the constant search more than anyone else and they need a constant love, a constant honeymoon.
And the stronger the emotions, the faster they pass.
So I think our hobby is still more psychology than anything else)
Yes like

Week one; I love it, can’t take it out of my ears, hearing things I never heard before, etc.

Week two; I was listening to X, and I switched to this set, and holly crap is it better.

Week three; nothing no comments.

Week four; nothing again.

Week five; someone else asks, I noticed you listed your set for sale.

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #36,825 of 91,355
It depends on the prudence.
That's why I avoid categorical terms like the best sound in the world - obviously it exists only as a spherical horse in a vacuum.
However, when emotions are overflowing, it is difficult to choose words. In addition, less attention is paid to possible shortcomings.
It's also because writing without hyperbole is so difficult. If the previous IEM was incredible and the new one is better then you get to super incredible. But what about next months IEM?

That means all the more praise to the pro reviewers that frequent the watercooler as they get their message across in a way everyone understands and without hyperbole at all. A true art.

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back