The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 22, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #35,881 of 91,358
You were very clear and precise. Thank you very much for that. I got to understand ..... For my listening pleasure (I love Traillii) maybe I would tend to play Ragnar. I listen to electronic music and it seems "common" to think that it is a bit bright in the high end. From what you write Odyssey attracts me, and for this reason I ask you where are the strengths and weaknesses of Odyssey in the presence of Traillii.

PS: I must say that I listened to Aroma Ace and it doesn't differ much from Traillii. Indeed, perhaps ACE is preferred over rumors.
Both Ragnar and Odyssey are complementary to Traillii. Ragnar is in the direction of Red Halo. It is possible for a person to really like Traillii and Ragnar while finding them complementary sets. But, Odyssey and Traillii are much more different.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #35,882 of 91,358
I heard it mentioned that the mini has no resolution…did you find this to be true?

There were two minis-- I tried both but preferred the one that is less v-shaped. For a $400 IEM I thought it resolved just fine-- in fact relative to the bass presence the level or resolution & clarity in the mids and highs was pretty impressive I thought. Like I said I would have bought it if it weren't for the exposed BA in the nozzle.

Sep 22, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #35,883 of 91,358
I came away from Canjam still holding onto my Jewel+Indigo I really wanted to find something that might take on that complementary role for the Jewel but I just couldn't find an IEM that did. I don't like to have too many different headphones/iems I think the most I'd own is 3 at a time for different use case. the Trifecta was interesting and might of been that third wheel but i found it a bit wonky at times. I kinda wish I tried out more iems while I was at the musicteck booth, not sure if aroma ace and thunder were there but loving my jewel.... one would think to try them out at least lol... jeezz.

Sep 22, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #35,884 of 91,358
Good point. We are nuts.

Some people in the forum maintain a small collection and rotate IEMs out to try new things. That seems to work for a lot of people here. Or, to get on the product tours, private get togethers, well stocked retail stores, attend shows, or send IEMs to each other to share. There are many ways to more cost effectively sample the new products. They are all represented here.
Oh yes, definitely aware of the craziness, and been hanging around here long enough to have dabbled. Just found for me that diminishing returns kicked in real hard and personally I have just pivoted to struggling to find value in a lot of the more expensive stuff. I know there are differences to be had, I just have lost the desire to spend that money to chase what often amounts to pretty small changes. Just isnt for me. Still want to hear a lot of that stuff and even considered jumping on some tours, but I would rather not even tempt myself and will likely be focusing on more value type purchases that offer something unique. Seemingly like the fatfreq maestro mini I just bought.

As I said though, always interesting to see whats releasing and see all you guys sharing impressions of your new toys.

Sep 22, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #35,885 of 91,358
Oh yes, definitely aware of the craziness, and been hanging around here long enough to have dabbled. Just found for me that diminishing returns kicked in real hard and personally I have just pivoted to struggling to find value in a lot of the more expensive stuff. I know there are differences to be had, I just have lost the desire to spend that money to chase what often amounts to pretty small changes. Just isnt for me. Still want to hear a lot of that stuff and even considered jumping on some tours, but I would rather not even tempt myself and will likely be focusing on more value type purchases that offer something unique. Seemingly like the fatfreq maestro mini I just bought.

As I said though, always interesting to see whats releasing and see all you guys sharing impressions of your new toys.
Wise man.

Sep 22, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #35,886 of 91,358
Sep 22, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #35,887 of 91,358
I have to second the earlier thoughts on Aroma Thunder. I took deliver of a preowned set last night at it is special. Truly does have it all. Particularly with the tuning switch. You basically get two top tier iems in one. The "harmony" switch sounds a lot a Cerberus with airier highs and detail retrieval more forward. It's staggeringly good. Then the Focus setting turns it into a much more technical sounding set. I'm surprised at how big the difference is. I'm super excited!
I'm still waiting pending shipment. The HeadFier is waiting for that little tool to switch the sonic profile before it ships. Waiting anxiously for that DHL shipment notification. But I'm also excited to hear it's unique signature and swagger.

Evening Indigo Session, JVC Spinfit++

Very high quality album, musically and from a production standpoint.

Indigo does Jazz well. Bass is full and punches enough, doesn't overbear though.
There are no vocals on this record, but the mids are rich and colourful still.
Highs never overdo it, I am very sensitive to highs, sibilance and the like. This is always right to the point.

Can recommend.

Continuing my listening session of Indigo's and it's starting to smooth out even more with additional warmth and oomph in the sub-bass. It's really good. Proving to be a good replacement for my Solaris more everyday.

I came away from Canjam still holding onto my Jewel+Indigo I really wanted to find something that might take on that complementary role for the Jewel but I just couldn't find an IEM that did. I don't like to have too many different headphones/iems I think the most I'd own is 3 at a time for different use case. the Trifecta was interesting and might of been that third wheel but i found it a bit wonky at times. I kinda wish I tried out more iems while I was at the musicteck booth, not sure if aroma ace and thunder were there but loving my jewel.... one would think to try them out at least lol... jeezz.
When I listened to Sifo's Jewel, I felt that it did everything that Indigo did so well and amplified it. So much so that I would be completely happy with just the Jewel, if I ever decided to splurge one day. That said, once I take delivery of the Aroma Thunder, that may sway me if it embodies that swagger that everybody and @Rockwell75 is talking about. I'm all about musicality over anything else. The first thing that the Jewel did was raise my neck hairs when I listened to No man's Land on the Wonder Woman soundtrack. Not all IEMs can do this to me but the Jewel did it and more with other tracks within my library. It has a worthy title as TOTL and now I know why.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #35,889 of 91,358
There are many really good IEMs I demoed, but for me, two IEMs stands out, number 1 is Odyssey, the other is multiverse mentor. As @stacey mentioned it's a surprise for me as well since I don't have high expectations for all BA (except for BC) set. It is very energetic with a DD like bass. The mids is also very emphasized and very impressive.
Agree with these statements, mentor is a very good and fun IEM and very surprising all BA given how good the bass is. The bass is on par with my EXT and similar to and a bit more than the Indigo. If you like Indigo, you will like the mentor since I see it as a slightly upgraded indigo that is a bit more energetic. I didn’t A/B the two so I can’t compare details but just basing it off my own Indigo use.

The odyssey, mentor, and annihilator (new for me) with honorable mention of gaea were the ones that stood out for me.

Now I wish I had time to listen to supermoons, thunder, red halo, and gt600

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #35,890 of 91,358
The little tool is nice but a Jerry Harvey screwdriver works better haha.

You WILL get a little driver flex pop on each insertion. I'm sure you've read that but I wanted to make sure you knew. :0)
Yes, I did hear and read about it. All good.

Sep 22, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #35,891 of 91,358
I'm still waiting pending shipment. The HeadFier is waiting for that little tool to switch the sonic profile before it ships. Waiting anxiously for that DHL shipment notification. But I'm also excited to hear it's unique signature and swagger.

Continuing my listening session of Indigo's and it's starting to smooth out even more with additional warmth and oomph in the sub-bass. It's really good. Proving to be a good replacement for my Solaris more everyday.

When I listened to Sifo's Jewel, I felt that it did everything that Indigo did so well and amplified it. So much so that I would be completely happy with just the Jewel, if I ever decided to splurge one day. That said, once I take delivery of the Aroma Thunder, that may sway me if it embodies that swagger that everybody and @Rockwell75 is talking about. I'm all about musicality over anything else. The first thing that the Jewel did was raise my neck hairs when I listened to No man's Land on the Wonder Woman soundtrack. Not all IEMs can do this to me but the Jewel did it and more with other tracks within my library. It has a worthy title as TOTL and now I know why.
oh buddy wait til you hear it on a totl cable/Hiby RS8.

1663873575782.png

I am also in the realm of just keeping the one iem, Jewel but what will I do for months when it's being sent for Custom >_< I am actually contemplating buying the like new and just sending that one out to be custom made and just sell mine when the time comes >_< yes I know I'm Crazy !

Sep 22, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #35,892 of 91,358
Yeah I'm questioning the 'need' to keep both Jewel and Traillii, and the bird is more likely to get the chop at the moment. While they are sufficiently different, I am finding that I'm listening to the same genres on both, plus Jewel caters for more of my library. I've a huge emotional/sentimental attachment to Traillii as it was my first TOTL set, but seriously questioning the logic in holding on... this will be the toughest decision I'll have faced so far in the hobby! - Best drink some wine while I contemplate.

Sep 22, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #35,894 of 91,358
Is Ragnar closer to Red Halo ..... than Mentor is?
Oh yes. Based on what I heard, there is a distinct difference between the MEST, Mason and Mentor lines.

It seems their tuning strategies for these lines are

MEST: Neutral with bass boost
Mason: Mids dominant
Mentor: Bass dominant

Just need a treble dominant set to complete the line.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #35,895 of 91,358
Yeah I'm questioning the 'need' to keep both Jewel and Traillii, and the bird is more likely to get the chop at the moment. While they are sufficiently different, I am finding that I'm listening to the same genres on both, plus Jewel caters for more of my library. I've a huge emotional/sentimental attachment to Traillii as it was my first TOTL set, but seriously questioning the logic in holding on... this will be the toughest decision I'll have faced so far in the hobby! - Best drink some wine while I contemplate.
Exactly why I classify Traillii and Jewel as similar IEMs. Because the music they are ideal for are very similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back