The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 20, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #32,971 of 91,343
Just got the Acoustune HS1670SS and out of the box with original cable and tips it's a wow. Superb presentation, fabulous sound incredible mids and treble, bass in the just enough category (I have my IMR sets for mega bass) soundstage is expansive with fantastic separation. The cable has some green discolouration so I may look for a good copper 4.4mm replacement is the Attached suitable? Thank you for your help in making my decision 🙏
Consider also Effect Audio Ares S, wouldn’t cost more and it’s a great cable.
You can ask them to have with MMCX, is 1670ss MMCX right?
1677ss comes with pentacon sockets

https://headfonics.com/effect-audio-ares-s-review/

https://twister6.com/2022/07/18/effect-audio-signature-series-cables-ares-s-cadmus-eros-s/

https://majorhifi.com/effect-audio-ares-s-review/

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #32,972 of 91,343
Consider also Effect Audio Ares S, wouldn’t cost more and it’s a gr cable.
You can ask them to have with MMCX, is 1670ss MMCX right?
1677ss comes with pentacon sockets
1670ss MMCX yes I'll take a look thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #32,974 of 91,343
It's polished stainless steel.
So this can helps to remove scratches but can damage resin shells.

34F2BAC9-5A9A-4717-9D56-5769166D8B8E.jpeg

Aug 20, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #32,975 of 91,343
So this can helps to remove scratches but can damage resin shells.

The 'trick' is not to pocket them or set them down casually on a hard surface, and keep them in the CA mesh pouch when not in use or in a case.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #32,977 of 91,343
Saturday afternoon music courtesy of Nation of Language. A recent album but very reminiscent of 80's synth pop, really fantastic album.

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #32,978 of 91,343
I got back last night from a marathon business trip flying out Wednesday to Dallas, into the soup of crushing heat and humidity, Traillii on the flight, than running to several tours and meetings, Thursday, to the airport to San Fransisco, again Traillii on the flight.

@jwilliamhurst was kind enough to take an Uber to my hotel for a 2 hour meet, late evening though both he and I had an early morning ahead of us. Great to meet in person after the past year and a half of conversations about music art and life, Jeremy and I absolutely have similar taste in everything art and music. He got to listen to my XE6 on my P6Pro and his Indigo I took a listen to, we only had the one player so we needed to take turns. I also listened to his little EAH-TZ700 with an inexpensive cable replacement of nice quality he uses, fixing the microphonic issue with the stock cable. I found the set to have amazing bass, and decent everywhere else, though no where near the levels of full sound I am now accustomed to. Although I like the design and the small size I just would not ever use the set given my other favorites and I only have one set of ears and these days ever reduced listening time.

The next morning I headed out to another tour and meeting in the Bay Area then a mid afternoon flight back to Philadelphia with traffic and flight time got home after 1:00AM. On the flight listened to the Traillii. I think the Mason FS isolates a little better than the Traillii the XE6 is a non starter on flights.

This morning back on the XE6 the more I listen to this set the more I like it. And I am rock solid now on my opinion that this is the best compliment for a Traillii.

I will leave Jeremy’s quick impressions for him to share at some point though I have a sense of his reaction. I was very interested how he felt about the mids, any perception of bass bleed. He also owned the Thummim MEST and now Indigo sets that have some elements in common with the XE6 to my listening.

I found the Indigo not great for me the upper frequencies sounded shrill, as far as UM BC releases, I much prefer the presentation of the Mason’s over that of the MEST family.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #32,979 of 91,343
Inital impressions of the Kr5 are very good, the Upper mids are perfectly fine for me and that clarity I remembered from the M4.

This may be a rare instance where we totally agree on something-- I'm smitten with the Kr5 right now. It's my favourite Fir IEM and may even surpass EXT as my #2. More listening needed.

On the topic of the tours. Once I'm back on the Island in a week or two I'm going to send the Lime Ears IEMs off on a Canadian tour then probably start a registration process for a Watercooler Tour of then Fir and VE IEMS (if there is interest).

Your purple cable is a nice contrast too and I think will look just as good if not better!

I don't have then Tyrian anymore-- but it was 2-pin and wouldn't have worked with the Supermoon anyway. I agree it would have looked great.

Have you ever read the SBAF discussion on the U18t? I was baffled that some found it very very bright while others called it extremely dark.

It is a very bright IEM by most people's reckoning. Maybe the dark comments were source issues.

[ironic on] Without starting a war, but did they ever discussed(rated) at SFBA any other IEM then the CFA family in a positive way ? [ironic off]

That sounds like a Discord meme. They're a lot more interested in cheaper IEMs over there...I know shotgunshane the resident IEM guy there is a big Moondrop fan.

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #32,980 of 91,343
I got back last night from a marathon business trip flying out Wednesday to Dallas, into the soup of crushing heat and humidity, Traillii on the flight, than running to several tours and meetings, Thursday, to the airport to San Fransisco, again Traillii on the flight.

@jwilliamhurst was kind enough to take a Uber to my hotel for a 2 hour meet, late evening though both he and I had an early morning ahead of us. Great to meet in person after the past year and a half of conversations about music art and life, Jeremy and I absolutely have similar taste in everything art and music. He got to listen to my XE6 on my P6Pro and his Indigo I took a listen to, we only had the one player so we needed to take turns. I also listened to his little EAH-TZ700 with an inexpensive cable replacement of nice quality he uses, fixing the microphonic issue with the stock cable. I found the set to have amazing bass, and decent everywhere else, though no where near the levels of full sound I am now accustomed to. Although I like the design and the small size I just would not ever use the set given my other favorites and I only have one set of ears and these days ever reduced listening time.

The next morning I headed out to another tour and meeting in the Bay Area then a mid afternoon flight back to Philadelphia with traffic and flight time got home after 1:00AM. On the flight listened to the Traillii. I think the Mason FS isolates a little better than the Traillii the XE6 is a non starter on flights.

This morning back on the XE6 the more I listen to this set the more I like it. And I am rock solid now on my opinion that this is the best compliment for a Traillii.

I will leave Jeremy’s quick impressions for him to share at some point though I have a sense of his reaction. I was very interested how he felt about the mids, any perception of bass bleed. He also owned the Thummim MEST and now Indigo sets that have some elements in common with the XE6 to my listening.

I found the Indigo not great for me the upper frequencies sounded shrill, as far as UM BC releases, I much prefer the presentation of the Mason’s over that of the MEST family.

Awesome I can't wait to hear @jwilliamhurst's thoughts on the Xe6. I'm in agreement with you around the TZ700...amazing bass but the rest (mids, technicalities) for me don't measure up to everything else I've had around me recently. I would rate them below the Zen Pro for my tastes.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #32,983 of 91,343
Aug 20, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #32,984 of 91,343
What are some TOTL high-end IEMs that have a consumer-friendly signature that goes well with modern-day music genres? I'm looking for end-game level IEMs with mainstream forward tuning.
Stuff on billboard charts, or Apple/Spotify mixes...
Genres like
Pop(ex. Adele, Sia, Billie Eilish, Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Charlie Puth, Dua Lipa, Bruno Mars...etc.)
EDM(ex. David Guetta, Martin Garrix, Marshmello, Alan Walker, The Chainsmokers, Zedd, Tiesto...etc.)
R&B(ex. The Weeknd, Drake...etc.)
Hip-Hop(Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Travis Scott, Chris Brown, Migos, Future, Post Malone, ...etc.)
Rock(Fall out boy, Maroon 5, Coldplay, One direction...etc.)
I've been recommended some IEMs, but I'm not satisfied with them.
Can I get some recommendations?

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #32,985 of 91,343
I know I'm years behind but these Acoustune 1670ss playing Muse Drones are amazing the balance between all Bass, Mids and treble is just about perfect. In hobby that is chasing the next big thing going backwards really pays off sometimes. Colour me very happy.
Edit
OMG. Just plugged them into the CAYIN N3pro in tube mode my jaw dropped through the floor. Literally blew my away what an incredible iem

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back