The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 12, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #3,211 of 88,246
Thanks @Rockwell75 for letting me borrow the Oriolus Reborn! Saves me from buying just to test.
Few impressions of the Reborn vs the Percivalli on my Chord Hugo, Chord Dave, iphone/L&P W2

Treble:
Reborn treble is crisp and clean but doesn't have the air/extension, speed and sparkle of the Perci. Treble resolution is great on simple songs but significantly degrades on complex songs or faster passages. In those cases, it blurs together.

Mids:
Amazing mids. Vocals are lush but still realistic. It does both male and female vocals very well. Helps convey the emotional aspect of the vocals. The vocal positioning is very much in your face. The mids are placed so far forward that I find that it takes presence over the rest of the instruments in many songs. Only in comparison to the Perci, the mids on Perci are more laid back and centered (pinpoint narrow). The midbass presence is very strong on the Reborn which helps with the lushness I think.

Bass:
Goes deeper than Perci, but is much slower. It blurs the faster passages or anything complex. Not a big deal with slower and simple songs.

Soundstage/Imaging:
I would say about average, not as wide as Solaris. Perci is very wide in comparison, and more holograpnic.

Compatibility:
No issues on any of my devices. Easy to power on any device. Perci requires much more volume and only sounds good on my desktop devices. The W2 doesn't have enough drive.

Overall conclusion:
Reborn has really special mids and is very musical on slower songs or simple songs with a few instruments. Anything complex or speedy, it blurs the instruments together but I can't fault its technicalities at the price. It does one aspect extremely well instead of trying to be a jack of all trades.

Next item for me is the Sony TA-ZH1ES arriving this week. Originally was going to get the luxman DA250 but seller didn't disclose that it was japanese voltage only....

Oct 12, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #3,212 of 88,246
Oh wow. Canadian sceneries are so beautiful :) I wish I could visit there someday. Can't stand the cold though, so probably during the summer. Seems nice to go for a trail + IEMs. I hope the bears are friendly too

Would love to have you on this side of the pond for a visit :)

Found the DT600 on Amazon :) Real tempted to give these a go. Their TOTL T800 too. Has 8 BA drivers. Would be interesting if they can compete with Moondrop's. Especially at half the price https://www.amazon.co.jp/s?me=AIT30RG3UKAKO&marketplaceID=A1VC38T7YXB528

I would be curious to hear your thoughts. I've never been a fan of Moondrop's tuning and I would personally take the T600 over any that I've heard (A8, S8 & Blessing 2). YMMV etc.

Thanks @Rockwell75 for letting me borrow the Oriolus Reborn! Saves me from buying just to test.
Few impressions of the Reborn vs the Percivalli on my Chord Hugo, Chord Dave, iphone/L&P W2

Treble:
Reborn treble is crisp and clean but doesn't have the air/extension, speed and sparkle of the Perci. Treble resolution is great on simple songs but significantly degrades on complex songs or faster passages. In those cases, it blurs together.

Mids:
Amazing mids. Vocals are lush but still realistic. It does both male and female vocals very well. Helps convey the emotional aspect of the vocals. The vocal positioning is very much in your face. The mids are placed so far forward that I find that it takes presence over the rest of the instruments in many songs. Only in comparison to the Perci, the mids on Perci are more laid back and centered (pinpoint narrow). The midbass presence is very strong on the Reborn which helps with the lushness I think.

Bass:
Goes deeper than Perci, but is much slower. It blurs the faster passages or anything complex. Not a big deal with slower and simple songs.

Soundstage/Imaging:
I would say about average, not as wide as Solaris. Perci is very wide in comparison, and more holograpnic.

Compatibility:
No issues on any of my devices. Easy to power on any device. Perci requires much more volume and only sounds good on my desktop devices. The W2 doesn't have enough drive.

Overall conclusion:
Reborn has really special mids and is very musical on slower songs or simple songs with a few instruments. Anything complex or speedy, it blurs the instruments together but I can't fault its technicalities at the price. It does one aspect extremely well instead of trying to be a jack of all trades.

Next item for me is the Sony TA-ZH1ES arriving this week. Originally was going to get the luxman DA250 but seller didn't disclose that it was japanese voltage only....

Great impressions thanks for sharing!

Oct 12, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #3,213 of 88,246
DC99D43C-09A6-4E92-A784-1E0B2972702F.jpeg

The Elusive Cactus as arrived!!

Oct 12, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #3,215 of 88,246
Interesting podcast interview with Caleb Rosenau of Campfire Audio. I've heard a few interviews with Ken but this is the first time I've heard Caleb talk. The first 17 minutes or so are mostly chatter but it gets interesting (for me) after that. One interesting point that Caleb made is he said that BA drivers are really good at describing the sound and DD drivers are really good at feeling it. I've never heard it described like this before but the more I think about the more it almost seems almost profound and a great way to describe the essential difference between those two driver types.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #3,216 of 88,246
Interesting podcast interview with Caleb Rosenau of Campfire Audio. I've heard a few interviews with Ken but this is the first time I've heard Caleb talk. The first 17 minutes or so are mostly chatter but it gets interesting (for me) after that. One interesting point that Caleb made is he said that BA drivers are really good at describing the sound and DD drivers are really good at feeling it. I've never heard it described like this before but the more I think about the more it almost seems almost profound and a great way to describe how I experience those two driver types.
I don't know if it's a phase or not, but ATM I'm in love with Fourte. With the BA drivers it depicts the most clear, precise and transparent picture in my head. As if a light has been literally turned on and everything heard is also seen. So that makes my chattering mind quiet and music is well described and felt at the same time.

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #3,217 of 88,246
I don't know if it's a phase or not, but ATM I'm in love with Fourte. With the BA drivers it depicts the most clear, precise and transparent picture in my head. As if a light has been literally turned on and everything heard is also seen. So that makes my chattering mind quiet and music is well described and felt at the same time.
Yeah, the tubeless deal is nice with the piano. Seems a bit more coherent. Well, more than MEST mkii anyway, lol. As probably expected.

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #3,218 of 88,246
Interesting podcast interview with Caleb Rosenau of Campfire Audio. I've heard a few interviews with Ken but this is the first time I've heard Caleb talk. The first 17 minutes or so are mostly chatter but it gets interesting (for me) after that. One interesting point that Caleb made is he said that BA drivers are really good at describing the sound and DD drivers are really good at feeling it. I've never heard it described like this before but the more I think about the more it almost seems almost profound and a great way to describe the essential difference between those two driver types.
That's a nice way to describe them. If the Shure SE215 (1DD) are good at allowing you feel, the AONIC3 (1BA) are good at articulating the sound. And the AONIC4 (1DD + 1BA) are like a mix of both :) The fit on them felt nice too. Their small body allow for a snug, and seamless fit (like the IE900). And wide + tall soundstage helps too with immersing yourself in the music. Both the AONIC3 & 4 are my current favourite, sub $500

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #3,219 of 88,246
They take a bit of getting used to - I kept trying to push EM5 further in to my ears but it wasn't happening - you get used to it and the sound quality speaks for itself!

It was actually from finding an old set of iAudio (Cowon) buds recently that gave me a taste for what buds can sound like, as is obvious, I'm definitely sold. I'd love to see more brands in this space!

I just went through 10 pages on Amazon, I'm not seeing many over-ear buds, is there a source in the US?

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #3,220 of 88,246
Oct 13, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #3,221 of 88,246
I just went through 10 pages on Amazon, I'm not seeing many over-ear buds, is there a source in the US?

I'm in Ireland so don't know about US. I bought my Fiio EM5 from Amazon UK, otherwise Penon Audio have a great range, Blur via Instagram or a good few option on AliExpress. Not an easy local purchase for me anyway other than my Fiio!

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #3,222 of 88,246
I'm in Ireland so don't know about US. I bought my Fiio EM5 from Amazon UK, otherwise Penon Audio have a great range, Blur via Instagram or a good few option on AliExpress. Not an easy local purchase for me anyway other than my Fiio!

Thanks, not sure I want to impulse buy at $300, let me check the Penon Store.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #3,223 of 88,246
Thanks, not sure I want to impulse buy at $300, let me check the Penon Store.
At $300 if you want a more neutral mid-centric tuning I'd recommend the Chaconne as their vocals were pretty impressive during my try. And if you want a warmer sound a la FiiO and more bass then go for EM5 :)

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #3,224 of 88,246
At $300 if you want a more neutral mid-centric tuning I'd recommend the Chaconne as their vocals were pretty impressive during my try. And if you want a warmer sound a la FiiO and more bass then go for EM5 :)

Chaconne on my list! EM5 definitely warmer vs my Blur but I love that for relaxed listening.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #3,225 of 88,246
Was impressed with the technicalities on these single 10mm DD IEM at $150. Very resolving with high quality fast imaging. Tonally pretty good as well, as it avoids sounding too dry or analytical with a more neutral approach + DD timbre
422552-558824.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back