The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 30, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #28,066 of 88,487
I don’t find Jewel bass anemic either. But I don’t think I’d want any less as well.

I think for me I’m just picky on sub bass. I find Annihilator to give nice sub bass presence but I almost get the feeling I’m hearing the same note constantly in the sub bass rather than something that’s more detailed.

On this track at 2:02, the Annihilator gives me the feeling in the sub bass that it plays the same note over but just changes the volume in the note without really being able to fully bring out the differences in the sub bass itself. It’s easier to identify on the Jewel or XE6.

On this one at 1:26, the same thing. This bass line has some consecutive mid bass hits with a constant sub bass line going on in the background. That sub bass line on Annihilator to me feels like it’s lacking detail outside of surface level.

I could provide more examples but I don't want to spam this thread with my music :p

Those are not your type of tracks but maybe they’ll help me explain what I am hearing better.

The way the Jewel and XE6 hit those sub bass notes sounds “better” to me, deeper extension as well as higher ability to articulate the differences within a sub bass passage itself. I am being picky, I don't really think its THAT big of a deal but it's something that I can notice/semi bugs me I guess.

Did a quick listen with the Annihilator/Venom on the 7AE standalone and I can hear/understand why you are saying it sounded like the same note being replayed. I don't have access to XE6 but from what I remember, the bass was splashy and hard to imagine that it had the resolution to deliver meaningful details. Anyhow, I listened to the tracks again with the Annihilator, this time with the 7AE LO to the Origa amp, and the note definition was audibly improved, quite a considerable transformation, not just at the sub-bass level but across the frequency spectrum. But that is not surprising to me, though quite regrettable that it takes so much to milk the Annihilator. Truth be told, I have mixed feelings about this -- for selfish reasons since I have the gear to drive it, that it is this same requirement that makes the Annihilator so good when it is good. All its shortcomings due the trade-offs are diminished as the source is improved and the final outcome is just oh so good. Still my no.1 IEM, Annihilator.

I'll get you my impressions on the sub-bass off the same tracks on Storm over the weekend.

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #28,067 of 88,487
One area that was causing me challenge at times with the Final A4000 was hot treble on occasion. On arrival, I chose to use an existing 4.4mm cable and not the stock 3.5mm which remained in the box till now. Out of interest, I tried stock today and I suspect less about the cable and more being single-ended but it really has toned down the spicy peaks. I've tried a few tracks and while there is still good energy/air/detail up top, nothing has as yet caused me a problem.

They have fantastic resolution, clarity, details and pretty balanced tuning - I can completely understand why @riverground selects these as a low cost, high performance IEM... incredibly impressive for around $130. Oh and the stock cable is very light, as are the shells, plus very comfortable. These will be my walking and desk choice for the next few days and I reckon I'll give the A3000 a try soon too.

20220630_121816.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 30, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #28,068 of 88,487
Did a quick listen with the Annihilator/Venom on the 7AE standalone and I can hear/understand why you are saying it sounded like the same note being replayed. I don't have access to XE6 but from what I remember, the bass was splashy and hard to imagine that it had the resolution to deliver meaningful details. Anyhow, I listened to the tracks again with the Annihilator, this time with the 7AE LO to the Origa amp, and the note definition was audibly improved, quite a considerable transformation, not just at the sub-bass level but across the frequency spectrum. But that is not surprising to me, though quite regrettable that it takes so much to milk the Annihilator. Truth be told, I have mixed feelings about this -- for selfish reasons since I have the gear to drive it, that it is this same requirement that makes the Annihilator so good when it is good. All its shortcomings due the trade-offs are diminished as the source is improved and the final outcome is just oh so good. Still my no.1 IEM, Annihilator.

I'll get you my impressions on the sub-bass off the same tracks on Storm over the weekend.

Thank you!

I do agree the amped Annihilator improves its bass response but I guess I felt it was never worth the hassle for the improvements. I enjoyed the Annihilator from the DX320 + aroma stack. The Xe6, at least in CIEM form, pushes out significantly more bass detail than the Annihilator does imho. I think I am more appreciative to IEMs that can scale down well rather than scale up. I value my portability too much to have to deal with a stack or anything that I feel is making my use “desktop” like. Appreciate the input, looking forward to seeing what you have to say about the Storm and hopefully soon finding out for myself 😉

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #28,069 of 88,487
Thank you!

I do agree the amped Annihilator improves its bass response but I guess I felt it was never worth the hassle for the improvements. I enjoyed the Annihilator from the DX320 + aroma stack. The Xe6, at least in CIEM form, pushes out significantly more bass detail than the Annihilator does imho. I think I am more appreciative to IEMs that can scale down well rather than scale up. I value my portability too much to have to deal with a stack or anything that I feel is making my use “desktop” like. Appreciate the input, looking forward to seeing what you have to say about the Storm and hopefully soon finding out for myself 😉
This is interesting. The main use of an IEM for most is portability ( this is based on what I hear from most on Head-fi, and I agree though I do also sit at my desk at times ). Having an IEM that requires a desktop stack to be its best begs the question: Why not just use a HP? As with most things, I am sure this is an individual decision.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #28,070 of 88,487
I’m shocked to see XE6 there tbh.

I don't think its popularity is that that surprising given 1) it's great at what it does, 2) Fir's 64 Audio heritage and 3) it's really the only IEM since the Legend X that has aimed to fill that TOTL basshead niche...so it's kind of got a monopoly in that sense right now.

Fourte and Fourte Noir sound too different to me to see them shared by a “/“.

That's true in a couple cases but as a general rule I combined all IEMs that were different versions of one another. Indigo was a stretch for me to combine with MEST 1 & 2 given that by most accounts the latter two are a decided downgrade from Indigo whereas whatever else one might say about Fourte/Noir it's generally accepted that they're on the same tier of quality.

I still don't think this exact frequency response works with regular drivers. I'd love to hear it though to see what it sounds like.

I think the Xe6's open-backed nature is what makes its extreme FR work.

I don't think so as a 30mm driver has about 9 times the surface of a 10 mm one. Perhaps they'd come close to a 17mm one though. I thought you were a math teacher but I must be wrong :)

Lol yeah I was thinking maybe there'd be some voodoo with how the drivers were arranged to get a "more than the sum of the parts" effect such as when you combine two matches together and the resulting large flame is more than just the sum of the two individual flames.

I don't have access to XE6 but from what I remember, the bass was splashy and hard to imagine that it had the resolution to deliver meaningful details.

The insane details in the bass in Supermoon (and probably good planars in general) is one of its most addicting qualities imho

Edit: Last call for votes for our summer poll-- 3 IEMs that are most captivating to you at this moment in time.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #28,071 of 88,487
Thank you!

That's the reason I got the 6Ti/7AE, hoping that it would have the juice needed to drive something like the Annihilator to the stratosphere. And I was quite happily ignorant until you brought up this sub-bass inadequacy! Now I cannot unhear or unknow it! 😤

This is interesting. The main use of an IEM for most is portability ( this is based on what I hear from most on Head-fi, and I agree though I do also sit at my desk at times ). Having an IEM that requires a desktop stack to be its best begs the question: Why not just use a HP? As with most things, I am sure this is an individual decision.
I completely get the whole mobility thing with head-fi, though I am willing to stretch it just a little further out to the edge of the (trans)portable boundary. I think it's a little bit like miniature trains for me, these little gadgets capable for such big sounds, and I can pack it all away into a cabinet after listening! The novelty of it all is appealing to me...

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #28,073 of 88,487
I got to hear the Annihilator for a week and I loved it so much that I bought one and I am about 5 weeks into a 3-4 month wait to get it. I found the Anni to be very U-shaped and in a very good way. I currently rank it number 3 in my collection since it is a great all arounder. I bought it for its treble response which is in my view the best in the industry. But, what I was surprised about is that its bass is really good, too. I didn't buy it for its bass, but its good bass. Although the Anni improves with power, it still sounds great without it. Actually, if anything, I found the X only sounded good to me when I gave it power which is the primary reason I didn't get it. The Anni is a fantastic IEM and sounds great from all of my DAPs.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #28,074 of 88,487
The insane details in the bass in Supermoon (and probably good planars in general) is one of its most addicting qualities imho
Without a custom option, it's DOA for me, no matter how good it sounds. That said, I have been listening to something with a DD bass and Planar mid-lo, that stretches all the way to the sub-bass region, is I know what Planars can do for bass. 😌

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #28,075 of 88,487
Without a custom option, it's DOA for me, no matter how good it sounds. That said, I have been listening to something with a DD bass and Planar mid-lo, that stretches all the way to the sub-bass region, is I know what Planars can do for bass. 😌
The Supermoon comes in a custom option.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #28,076 of 88,487

It only comes in a custom option, beyond universal demo units and rare limited editions like the one I got. I can't wait until more companies get on the planar wagon. Supermoon isn't perfect (no IEM is) but the tech has for the time being muted my interest in anything that doesn't at least have a planar somewhere within it.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #28,077 of 88,487
It only comes in a custom option, beyond universal demo units and rare limited editions like the one I got. I can't wait until more companies get on the planar wagon. Supermoon isn't perfect (no IEM is) but the tech has for the time being muted my interest in anything that doesn't at least have a planar somewhere within it.
😱 I have completely ignored all talk about it all this while thinking it's a Universal only IEM. Well, I am going to have to check it out now... thanks guys!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #28,078 of 88,487
Having an IEM that requires a desktop stack to be its best begs the question: Why not just use a HP?

FWIW, I use my IEMs with my desktop gear during the summer when it's too hot to wear headphones and when I need the isolation because of fans or window AC units making too much noise.

It also helps that desktop DACs and amps can provide superior sound quality to portable sources.

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #28,080 of 88,487
How long is the wait for the Szalayi...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back